The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

It kind of makes me feel a bit sick to be honest. That we could make the biggest change to our country without doing any work to ascertain the impact of such a change is so monumentally stupid that I can't really believe it's true. I've seen the words come out of his mouth and I still don't believe it's true. 

I guess the majority of people will hear a line about this on the radio and think yeah whatever. 

But surely this means the whole process should be paused until these studies have taken place? It would be completely irrational to proceed in any other way. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

It kind of makes me feel a bit sick to be honest. That we could make the biggest change to our country without doing any work to ascertain the impact of such a change is so monumentally stupid that I can't really believe it's true. I've seen the words come out of his mouth and I still don't believe it's true. 

I guess the majority of people will hear a line about this on the radio and think yeah whatever. 

But surely this means the whole process should be paused until these studies have taken place? It would be completely irrational to proceed in any other way. 

That's part of what makes this so staggeringly stupid. Not only did we not do these studies, apparently, and not only did Davis and co spend a year saying they had in various ways, they kept saying they'd done the work and had the studies upto and after we started the process with the hard timetable that ensures we leave.

It basically isn't our decision to stop it anymore. We can ask, the EU doesn't have to agree. 

We enacted article 50 knowingly or unknowingly supported by analysis that apparently doesn't exist.

**** hell.

There's been some doubt about whether the impact assessments, or analyses, or summaries, or statements, really exist or not.

To clear it up, here's Mr Davis at the negotiating table displaying his full negotiating toolkit - no papers, just that glaikit grin.

At least he's wearing trousers.

Impact.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We should offer to have another referendum  if the eu allow some restrictions  on eu nationals entering the country to use the nhs, social service or welfare and our citizens should have restrictions on using the eu's , that way no one looses face and we can all live happier ever after .....

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I guess technically he has complied with the resolution, as it just required him to present a list of sectors analysed and the resulting impact assessment to parliament. If they don't exist then there is nothing to present.

Of course the fact he repeatedly lied about their existence to members of parliament and the British people, and that not preparing any analysis is a disgraceful act of negligence should do for him, but i bet it wont.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

How on Earth did he comply!?

There were no 'impact assessments' so there was nothing to produce. Thus the likes of Rees-Mogg argued that he had gone above and beyond by supplying them with any information, i.e. the sectoral analyses. I guess that's what the Tories and angry Sammy also said.

We have a bunch of, at best, incompetent clowns making it up as they go along, dragging 48.1% of voters in to an inevitable economic catastrophe based on a vote heavily influenced by lies, and they can't even be bothered to do any **** research,

Meanwhile, in Brussels.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/ukevents/brexit/brexitstudies.html

Brexit Impact Studies

The European Parliament has commissioned dozens of impact assessments or studies on Brexit from experts, across a broad range of policy areas, which are publicly available online. This webpage will be regularly updated to include further relevant publications.

The opinions expressed in these documents are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position of the European Parliament. 

Edited by Davkaus

4 hours ago, Xann said:

Moving their personal finances and portfolios to calmer waters.

and in the case of John Redwood, being paid another fat salary to also advise others to get their money out of the country sharpish

this country is too placid

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

and they can't even be bothered to do any **** research,

Do they honestly care about the end result considering the obvious effort put in by them as you mentioned above ? It does not reek of "Burning the midnight oil" to me ?

If they went OTT on studies and getting as much ammunition and data to be prepared for the negotiations and spent,  I dunno,  half a billion on it (Seems a logical thing to do in business or government if you are negotiating something that is much more in value?).  In the big scheme of things I think the public would say,  "good one, seems like money well spent." (Guess) 

Without knowing the possible impact they were at no point ever, going to be "Holding all the cards" in the negotiation, I think it best to understand the game you are playing first the useless bastards.  It's worse than a teenager not revising for exams,  these words removed can revise at work when they are not not on their PC's in their offices being busy and they still can't be arsed. 

Imagine the cabinet if they had to all have a public end of year appraisal's (as most of us do?),  they would get the time wrong or call in sick probably.

(Bribery money to the DUP,  looks even more silly now also,  in terms of ROI,  sweet FA as far as I can see.  )

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely no plan, no prep, no research, not even a conversation about what they'd like.

Honestly,  it is getting a bit funny now.  I genuinely the think the wheels are falling off the wagon.

Tune in tomorrow for a show like "The Office", but very very real. 

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

17 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Do they honestly care about the end result considering the obvious effort put in by them as you mentioned above ? It does not reek of "Burning the midnight oil" to me ?

If they went OTT on studies and getting as much ammunition and data to be prepared for the negotiations and spent,  I dunno,  half a billion on it (Seems a logical thing to do in business or government if you are negotiating something that is much more in value?).  In the big scheme of things I think the public would say,  "good one, seems like money well spent." (Guess) 

Without knowing the possible impact they were at no point ever, going to be "Holding all the cards" in the negotiation, I think it best to understand the game you are playing first the useless bastards.  It's worse than a teenager not revising for exams,  these words removed can revise at work when they are not not on their PC's in their offices being busy and they still can't be arsed. 

Imagine the cabinet if they had to all have a public end of year appraisal's (as most of us do?),  they would get the time wrong or call in sick probably.

(Bribery money to the DUP,  looks even more silly now also,  in terms of ROI,  sweet FA as far as I can see.  )

The thing is, they could spend every single penny the UK has ever had in its entire history on research and they still wouldn't 'hold all the cards'. The situation isn't one were it's possible for the UK to hold all the cards. It's situation where the UK effectively holds one card - we can walk away. It's a bloody stupid card, but it's the one we have. No amount of research changes that. The EU holds every card. No amount of money, research or bluster changes that.

But... That research wouldn't be futile. The research would be more use in informing our position. In working out exactly where the most pain will be, where we need to target particular efforts in reducing that pain. Etc etc.

But apparently we haven't bothered.

That's either hubris writ large, outright stupidity, or gross negligence.

• Like 1

David Davis has been foaming at the mouth for years in wanting to leave the EU. The reason no in depth analysis has been done is that he knows they will paint a very poor picture of life for the UK post Bexit and the last thing any brexiteer wants is analysis that makes even more people question why we are going through with this.

He acted like a petulant child today and it is frightening to think this prat is negotiating all our futures.

He should never have been put in charge of this. Someone sitting more on the fence who would have been happy to carry out the necessary studies and acted based on them would have been a far better choice. 

This is turning out to be a far bigger shambles than most of us would have envisaged.

• Like 3

Â