The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

#Fakenews

Of course, ultra-Corbynista Owen Smith could be lying

Or alternatively, on planet earth, the BBC doesn't contact each individual MP from each party with an invite, but instead contacts party HQ?

[edit - reading that back it looks like I'm having a go at you, I'm not I'm having a go at blow hard Owen -"look, look at me, I still exist" - no mate, you never really did. Gone like a puff of wind].

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

They in opposition and doing quite well in the polls. I think they are playing the game of trying to appease everyone. That is the beauty of being in opposition in that you can be non committal. They are also allowing the Tories to hang themselves.

That changes as soon as they get into power. They are nowhere near as divided as the Tories are over Brexit and if, as I think would be likely, they become the largest party but have no overall majority they would get in bed with the Libs and SNP who are both pro remain.

I think negotiations would either go way better under Labour for the simple reason they, either alone or with the Libs and SNP would be way less divided than the Tories, or they would hold another referendum. One thing is certain is that they would be an improvement on the clueless comedy show we are witnessing now. Imagine being on the other side of the table and negotiating with this mob.

Trying to appease everyone never works. You're right the tories are hanging themselves (and us with them). I think they are every bit as divided. Sure there's a current truce, (ish), within the Labour party, but it's not being subjected to the same pressure, or media focus, as the tory one. Their current position is as untenable as the tory one, it's just that because of the utter shitshow that is the gov't, and things like Trump's ongoing lunacy, that it goes under the radar.

I mean (rightly) everyone ridiculed May's "Brexit means Brexit" and "red white and Blue Brexit" vacuity. So Labour's  "we want a Brexit for jobs" seems to escape the same ridicule. I don't know why, other than they're not in government. The vast majority of the MPs want to stay in the EU. The leadership has been whipping MPs all the way through to support the Gov't on key Brexit votes. Corbyn is a lifelong anti-EU person, ditto others in his coterie of sandanistas.

They get away with this "Brexit for jobs" bollex, with no one asking any questions, and so us lot think "oh, they're not as mental". And they're probably (mostly) not. But frankly, there's the leadership of Labour who are mental. There's the right wing tory MPs who are mental, and then there's the rest of the tory and about and liberal MPs who are mostly sensible, but too timid, too career watching, too "keep your nose clean" to actually grow a pair (with about 30 exceptions from both sides).

No one could possibly make a worse job of it than the tories, but I have little faith that Labour would be much less bad, at the moment. They're just not being subjected to the same scrutiny, but when they were, they were an absolute shower, too.

• Like 1

Agree with every word of that @blandy however as the logical inconsistencies of a hard Brexit meet reality my last remaining hope is that it may embolden some of those career watchers as you put it to start to swing momentum back towards a solution which is more rational for the Countries best interests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Can we stop with the '#Fakenews' shit, please?

If Robinson's wrong or he's lying then just say so.

41OXYYFwkAL._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.jpg Sorry, was trying to do it in an ironic humour kind of way. To take the piss out of people who use hashtags and say FAKENEWS! (e.g. Trump etc). Sorry if it didn't come over that way. For the record I don't think Robinson's lying, I just think it's an easy jab that isn't quite accurate.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Or alternatively, on planet earth, the BBC doesn't contact each individual MP from each party with an invite, but instead contacts party HQ?

[edit - reading that back it looks like I'm having a go at you, I'm not I'm having a go at blow hard Owen -"look, look at me, I still exist" - no mate, you never really did. Gone like a puff of wind].

They don't, but it refutes the accusation that MPs were told by Labour's press team not to go on anything, and Smith is the shadow secretary for NI, so pretty relevant in this case.

(why is everyone so bloody tetchy at the moment? I'm getting into arguments everywhere without saying anything particularly inflammatory) 

• Like 1

Speaking of tough stances in British-Irish negotiations and the problem of the border, December 5th marks the 96th anniversary of Lloyd George threatening Irish delegates with "terrible and immediate war" if the Anglo-Irish Treaty were not signed that day.

The longer this drags on the better 

**** the EU and **** the Tories

The reason I voted for brexit was it brings the country one step closer to ruin so an autocratic government can be formed with lord buckethead installed as supreme ruler.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The longer this drags on the better 

**** the EU and **** the Tories

The reason I voted for brexit was it brings the country one step closer to ruin so an autocratic government can be formed with lord buckethead as supreme ruler.

#

and this is why this issue shouldn't have been put to a public vote 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Lord Buckethead who is anti-Brexit...

ah no, he's only saying he's anti brexit until after the election, then we all know he'll switch

it's an open secret

longform-original-10597-1445011749-11.jp

(I'm guessing the missing word obscured by Mcdonnell is Poundland?)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

and this is why this issue shouldn't have been put to a public vote 

I agree but my reason is just as legitimate as those who thought leaving the EU would stop immigrants coming in from Asia and Africa.

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Lord Buckethead who is anti-Brexit...

You would think that Lord Buckethead would embrace Brexit considering his only chance of seizing power is for the country to descend into anarchy or for an asteroid to hit with him being the only man left alive.

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Sorry, was trying to do it in an ironic humour kind of way. To take the piss out of people who use hashtags and say FAKENEWS! (e.g. Trump etc). Sorry if it didn't come over that way.

It didn't, I'm afraid.

Edit:

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

(why is everyone so bloody tetchy at the moment? I'm getting into arguments everywhere without saying anything particularly inflammatory)

I saw no 'ironic use' in your post. I'm happy, though, to accept your explanation that you meant it in that way so I genuinely apologize for my response being tetchy.

The reason behind the tetchiness I displayed is probably that the phrase was reported, by (amongst others) the NYT, to have been used as quoted below:

“There is no such thing as Rohingya,” said U Kyaw San Hla, an officer in Rakhine’s state security ministry. “It is fake news.”

But this is going way off topic.

Edited by snowychap

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It didn't, I'm afraid.

Edit:

I saw no 'ironic use' in your post. I'm happy, though, to accept your explanation that you meant it in that way so I genuinely apologize for my response being tetchy.

The reason behind the tetchiness I displayed is probably that the phrase was reported, by (amongst others) the NYT, to have been used as quoted below:

But this is going way off topic.

It is off topic but I don't care because I want to say more ;-)

I hate the use of the term fake news. In the same way as every neologic term e.g. false narrative and conjunctions like brexit. I sometimes forget I'm not in a room with mates.

11 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It is off topic but I don't care because I want to say more ;-)

I hate the use of the term fake news. In the same way as every neologic term e.g. false narrative and conjunctions like brexit. I sometimes forget I'm not in a room with mates.

I'm crying #fakenews .. no way a Corbyn supporter has any mates :P

• Haha 1

Â