The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I hope that not to be the case to be honest!

I, as well as everyone else obviously - can only go on what I see. 

The more interaction of mixed races, the better, because it becomes normal.  

I see a lot more mixed race children now - 40 years ago, there weren't many!  

Religion will die out because, who wants to go to church/mosque/temple/synagogue? Not many young kids now. 

Politics may well become more heated, but as I said - the more moderate new up start companies are, the less the vitriol will be between the "haves and have nots". 

Just a view, of course :)  

I think the internet exposes people to a wider circle than they would otherwise have access to and for a majority of people this is probably a broadening of horizons creating a moderating influence. 

However there is a reverse side where scum bags have a network to easily find other scum bags and feed off each other. 

The wounded survivors of the Los Vegas shootings and their families are receiving a barrage of hate mail and death threats for being ‘crisis actors’ imitating a false flag operation by the US government to bring about gun control legislation. 

The parents of the children who were killed at Sandy Hook also continue to receive hate mail and death threats to their social media accounts to this day for similar reasons. 

Unfortunately this is also an aspect of the new normal. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think the internet exposes people to a wider circle than they would otherwise have access to and for a majority of people this is probably a broadening of horizons creating a moderating influence. 

However there is a reverse side where scum bags have a network to easily find other scum bags and feed off each other. 

The wounded survivors of the Los Vegas shootings and their families are receiving a barrage of hate mail and death threats for being ‘crisis actors’ imitating a false flag operation by the US government to bring about gun control legislation. 

The parents of the children who were killed at Sandy Hook also continue to receive hate mail and death threats to their social media accounts to this day for similar reasons. 

Unfortunately this is also an aspect of the new normal. 

That's bad, obviously. 

But I think people will grow up "into" the internet.  

I think things will be put into place where this "bullying by proxy" will become increasingly absent as time goes by.  You have a small circle of white knights now who get people who say racist things on twitter, fired from their jobs etc now.  Detection of these nasty things will increase and thus become less I think.

You'll always get nasty people though. 

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I hope that not to be the case to be honest!

I, as well as everyone else obviously - can only go on what I see. 

The more interaction of mixed races, the better, because it becomes normal.  

I see a lot more mixed race children now - 40 years ago, there weren't many!  

Religion will die out because, who wants to go to church/mosque/temple/synagogue? Not many young kids now. 

Politics may well become more heated, but as I said - the more moderate new up start companies are, the less the vitriol will be between the "haves and have nots". 

Just a view, of course :)  

I'd hope not, too.

But in line with @chrisp65 post, maybe the likes of you/us kind of mix with different people, rather than live in kind of enclaves and if/when we see stories of how "others" are making our lives less safe, or poorer we think "that's bollex" because of wider experience. Whereas people in confines might tend to believe the latest facebook rubbish about "the Islams" coming to get them and ban Bacon.

It's perhaps why London is for example tolerant and welcoming of foreigners and immigration and Barnsley is rather less so - it's much more of a monoculture and poorer. It's what the Leavers played upon with all their fear stuff about Turkey and millions of muslims coming to get us...

• Like 2

This is relevant in a few threads now.

... Because if there’s one person who’s in the middle of all of this, but who has escaped any proper scrutiny, it’s Nigel Farage. That’s Nigel Farage, who led the Leave.EU campaign, which is being investigated by the Electoral Commission alongside Cambridge Analytica, about whether the latter made an “impermissible donation” of services to the leave campaign. Nigel Farage who visited Donald Trump and then Julian Assange. Who is friends with Steve Bannon and Robert Mercer. Who headed an organisation – Ukip – which has multiple, public, visible but almost entirely unreported Russian connections. Who is paid by the Russian state via the broadcaster RT, which was banned last week from Twitter. And who appears like clockwork on British television without any word of this.

Guardian

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xann said:

This is relevant in a few threads now.

Guardian

Carole Cadwalladr, the author of that piece, has been doing an absolute ton of digging on this issue (a glance at her bylines suggests she does little else) so is a good person to follow on this story. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Carole Cadwalladr, the author of that piece, has been doing an absolute ton of digging on this issue (a glance at her bylines suggests she does little else) so is a good person to follow on this story. 

Or you could just listen to me :D. Ditto the Catalan Independence movement too

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or you could just listen to me :D. Ditto the Catalan Independence movement too

I knew that was you sitting on my local park bench sipping from a can of eight Ace whilst talking about Aliens :P 

• Haha 1

Missed the report endorsed by the BoE advising 75k banking sector jobs are at risk.

The Labour is apparently going to push to have the impact studies into the 58 sectors the government refuses to release for various spurious reasons (I read earlier someone has said they won't release them because they'll panic everyone. No shit) revealed. Those 58 sectors comprise 88% of the workforce.

Hidden because the answers are dreadful. The Brexit brigade won't care, but at least let everyone know how much it's going to hurt. Or have the honesty to say exactly why you won't release them.

Swansea's photographer (originally from Greece) got two broken arms in a racially motivated attack.  He'd been covering the game away at Middlesbrough.

I hope these things are still relatively rare, but the impact on ordinary people going about their lives must be akin to the impact of terrorism.  I wouldn't want to have a funny accent in this country at the moment.  It's bad enough being a Brummie...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-41821004

The night before the match when he was in the city centre he saw a man smash a car window.

Mr Legakis, 41, called 999. The man heard his Greek accent and turned on him calling him a "smelly foreigner".

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Missed the report endorsed by the BoE advising 75k banking sector jobs are at risk.

The Labour is apparently going to push to have the impact studies into the 58 sectors the government refuses to release for various spurious reasons (I read earlier someone has said they won't release them because they'll panic everyone. No shit) revealed. Those 58 sectors comprise 88% of the workforce.

Hidden because the answers are dreadful. The Brexit brigade won't care, but at least let everyone know how much it's going to hurt. Or have the honesty to say exactly why you won't release them.

This is quite interesting. Given Labour's position (officially) is to Leave, then it seems like they've shifted a bit. If they really do "want" to leave, then you'd assume the stand-point would be to not want studies showing leaving will be very bad to be published. So by taking this action, they're potentially doing something excellent. They're doing the proper job any opposition should, of opposing the Gov't (they should try it more often) and also they're potentially preparing the ground to shift their official position to "not leaving"....because studies.

• Like 3

So that's 75k potential rocket polisher bankers out of work, if you believe their fear mongering. Yet, I see no numbers from the so-called "Bank of England" about how many extra positions will be created in the thriving British jam and pigs ear export sectors.

Edited by Davkaus

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So that's 75k potential rocket polisher bankers out of work, if you believe their fear mongering. Yet, I see no numbers from the so-called "Bank of England" about how many extra positions will be created in the thriving British jam and pigs ear export sectors.

Get this on the next Have Your Say on the Beeb and you'd rake in at least 100 likes.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This is quite interesting. Given Labour's position (officially) is to Leave, then it seems like they've shifted a bit. If they really do "want" to leave, then you'd assume the stand-point would be to not want studies showing leaving will be very bad to be published. So by taking this action, they're potentially doing something excellent. They're doing the proper job any opposition should, of opposing the Gov't (they should try it more often) and also they're potentially preparing the ground to shift their official position to "not leaving"....because studies.

Course they don't want to leave. They're not stupid. But like I've said all the way along, choose your battles. It's no good being principled and at 5% vote like Lib Dem when you could keep the remainers and leavers on side by being intentionally ambiguous, keeping your vote share and actually being able to do something about it after winning an (increasingly likely) GE.

And before anyone says about Corbyn the eurosceptic - it's entirely possible to be eurosceptic but still want the UK to stay in the EU now with the chance to reform. Corbyn wants Trident scrapped too but that's not in the manifesto as Labour is more than just the leader.

Â