The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Sorry, but I can't buy that Labour are secretly remain and playing a long game.

I don't even think it's that secret. As @blandy says, why would they be so interested in getting the reports if they weren't interested in at least SM & CU membership (which is nigh on staying in anyway as by that time you may as well)?

Stands to reason surely? Economically, only a fool doesn't see that full on hard brexit is disastrous. They wouldn't want to get in and have to bear the brunt of the shit that to come. And their manifesto wouldn't workable without a buoyant economy. 

Edited by darrenm

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I think they're just starting to find the courage that the tories cannot. I think Starmer is doing a good job on Brexit. I think most MPs of all parties are of the view Brexit is/will be harmful. But the two main parties are officially pro Brexit "because democracy" even though the MPs personal views is it's bonkers. I think Labour is inching towards chaning from Pro to anti Brexit, bit by bit and is working to do this supported by proper arguments and evidence and political advantage. I think they feel that if the public view changes "wait, no we didn't mean we wanted that sort of Brexit", then Labour will want to be able to "be on their side" and definitely not be on the same side as the lunatic tories.

Yes, this. 

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

They wouldn't want to get in and have to bear the brunt of the shit that to come

is this the official party excuse being got in early for 2020   .. We could have trounced the Tories  , but we didn't want to get in and have to bear the brunt of the shit , so we strategically decided to lose another election  :) 

4 hours ago, blandy said:

I think they're just starting to find the courage that the tories cannot. I think Starmer is doing a good job on Brexit. I think most MPs of all parties are of the view Brexit is/will be harmful. But the two main parties are officially pro Brexit "because democracy" even though the MPs personal views is it's bonkers. I think Labour is inching towards chaning from Pro to anti Brexit, bit by bit and is working to do this supported by proper arguments and evidence and political advantage. I think they feel that if the public view changes "wait, no we didn't mean we wanted that sort of Brexit", then Labour will want to be able to "be on their side" and definitely not be on the same side as the lunatic tories.

I know what you're saying, it's the same message that Darren is giving out. It's 'hope' for the remainers that also handily keeps remainers voting for or supporting a pro brexit party. Best of both worlds, and I guess that's politics.

On the Labour website, the part of their current manifesto regarding Brexit starts with the following five words:

'Labour accepts the referendum result...'

I'm a bit too old to be naive about political parties, but I simply do not see a scenario, any scenario whatsoever, where Labour keep us in the EU. What they have is the exact same policy as the tories in so many ways. They are saying they want out, but they also want to keep all the good things, whilst carrying out the result of the referendum. It's very close to the same message, it's down to nuance and scrutiny. The EU will not allow a near identical deal but without shared responsibility, full financial contribution and freedom of movement. It would simply make the EU redundant as an entity.

9 minutes ago, colhint said:

Haven't we just had 2 poultry scares within the EU in the last 6 months, I think both were covered up.

There was an egg problem apparently linked with 14 years of cuts in the Dutch regulatory body, which was very widely reported.  Was there something else?

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

is this the official party excuse being got in early for 2020   .. We could have trounced the Tories  , but we didn't want to get in and have to bear the brunt of the shit , so we strategically decided to lose another election  :) 

You've seen the Momentum prepared tweets too?!

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know what you're saying, it's the same message that Darren is giving out. It's 'hope' for the remainers that also handily keeps remainers voting for or supporting a pro brexit party. Best of both worlds, and I guess that's politics.

On the Labour website, the part of their current manifesto regarding Brexit starts with the following five words:

'Labour accepts the referendum result...'

I'm a bit too old to be naive about political parties, but I simply do not see a scenario, any scenario whatsoever, where Labour keep us in the EU. What they have is the exact same policy as the tories in so many ways. They are saying they want out, but they also want to keep all the good things, whilst carrying out the result of the referendum. It's very close to the same message, it's down to nuance and scrutiny. The EU will not allow a near identical deal but without shared responsibility, full financial contribution and freedom of movement. It would simply make the EU redundant as an entity.

Labour may or may not keep us in the EU, but they very clearly have a different policy to the Tories. The Tories can't decide what they want between either a] leaving with 'no deal', or b] a strictly time-limited transition. Labour can't decide between a] a longer time-limited transition, b] an indefinite transition period, or c] staying. 

Those are not the same options. 

This is all getting very strange. Now Rees-Mogg the remainer?

Tories won't oppose opposition day motion, assumedly they think it's not binding but deputy speaker thinks it is.

So looking likely the studies will be released. My guess is they'll try to pass off some heavily redacted or crap versions as the real deal.

Just popping my usual 'it'll never happen' in.

2 minutes ago, colhint said:

the bbc reported on it 

So they weren't covered up?

I'm guessing that

37 minutes ago, colhint said:

Salmonella outbreak in Poland, killed some people not sure how many, but they are one of the largest exporters.

referred to this:

Multi-country Salmonella outbreak (EFSA - 27/10/2016)

Seven countries have reported human cases of Salmonella Enteritidis between 1 May and 12 October 2016 (112 confirmed and 148 probable).

Cases have been reported by Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the UK. In addition, Croatia reported a cluster of cases, including one death, possibly associated with this outbreak.

Whole genome sequencing, food and environmental investigations, and trace-back investigations established a link between the outbreak and an egg packing centre in Poland. Evidence suggests eggs as the most likely source of infection. 

Polish competent authorities and Member States to which suspect eggs were distributed have now halted distribution.

Edited by snowychap

Â