The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, colhint said:

Cheers.

That's this story, then:

A very small number of eggs contaminated with a toxic insecticide reached the UK earlier this year.

Some of the eggs, which originated from the Netherlands, were also found in France, the country's agricultural ministry said.

The UK's Food Standards Agency say the risk to the public is very low.

The agency is "urgently investigating" the issue, but to the best of their knowledge, the affected products are no longer on shelves.

It says there is no need for people in Britain to avoid eating eggs and any potential exposure is unlikely to harm.

The revelations come after the supermarket chain Aldi withdrew all eggs from sale in its stores in Germany last week.

Tests had shown the chemical fipronil, which can harm kidneys, liver and thyroid glands, was found in the eggs.

It is feared that farmers in the Netherlands may now need to cull millions of birds as it seeks to eradicate traces of the insecticide from production, according to LTO, a Dutch farming organisation.

Dutch farms

On its website, the FSA said: "Our risk assessment, based on all the information available, indicates that as part of a normal healthy diet this low level of potential exposure is unlikely to be a risk to public health and there is no need for consumers to be concerned.

"Our advice is that there is no need for people to change the way they consume or cook eggs or products containing eggs."

Belgian officials have already admitted that they knew in June that eggs from Dutch farms might be contaminated with the fipronil insecticide

Fipronil can treat lice and ticks in chickens, but should not be used on food-producing animals because of its toxicity.

Shops in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, have removed the eggs from sale as a precaution.

About 180 poultry farms in the Netherlands have also been temporarily shut in recent days while investigations are held.

The FSA says approximately 21,000 eggs were distributed to the UK from implicated farms in the Netherlands between March and June of this year.

But it says this is a very small proportion of the 1.8 billion eggs the UK imports each year. Around 85% of eggs consumed in Britain are home-produced.

Not:

53 minutes ago, colhint said:

Salmonella outbreak in Poland, killed some people not sure how many, but they are one of the largest exporters.

48 minutes ago, darrenm said:

looking likely the studies will be released. My guess is they'll try to pass off some heavily redacted or crap versions as the real deal.

FFS

27 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Cheers.

That's this story, then:

Not:

I'm not sure where this is going. You initially asked me how i knew about them, if it was a cover up. , I gave an example of a cover up. That's enough for me. If you wish to check it further google Polish salmonella crisis.

7 minutes ago, colhint said:

I'm not sure where this is going. You initially asked me how i knew about them, if it was a cover up. , I gave an example of a cover up. That's enough for me. If you wish to check it further google Polish salmonella crisis.

When pressed on the claim about a cover up of a Polish salmonella outbreak that 'killed some people not sure how many', you referred to a BBC story from August about Belgian officials admitting 'that they knew in June that eggs from Dutch farms might be contaminated with the fipronil insecticide.'

Summing up, your evidence in support of your initial assertion was something related to a different story (which doesn't quite scream 'cover up' in the way that you appear to claim).

If 'that's enough for you' then perhaps it suggests we ought to look at future, similar interventions with a great deal of skepticism.

Edit: Maybe there was a cover up of salmonella in Poland but (after the search that I had to do as you didn't supply any details about the story/stories to which you were referring) I didn't see that. I may have missed it. If you have the details and links to that story then you could help us all by posting them. :)

Edited by snowychap

This threads' been too quiet.

Brexit! The bad news and the good! A very good Twitter thread. Warning - makes reference to planes not flying.

Also, the Speaker has ordered the impact studies be released tomorrow. Davis has poured water on the them claiming they actually don't contain much useful info and was at one and the same time too high level overarching analysis and too detailed on smaller items.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Brexit! The bad news and the good! A very good Twitter thread. Warning - makes reference to planes not flying.

Also, the Speaker has ordered the impact studies be released tomorrow. Davis has poured water on the them claiming they actually don't contain much useful info and was at one and the same time too high level overarching analysis and too detailed on smaller items.

I just came in to post this guy's Twitter thread.  Crikey it makes for depressing / realistic reading.

One thing though - who was he likely to be meeting with, and why would they be meeting with him?  I can't figure out who he is.

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I just came in to post this guy's Twitter thread.  Crikey it makes for depressing / realistic reading.

One thing though - who was he likely to be meeting with, and why would they be meeting with him?  I can't figure out who he is.

Works for a think-tank supporting the market. Also writes some Guardian op-eds by the looks of things.

Yeah, it's shit. But that's obvious. The question seems to be how shit, and that thread seems to suggest its very very very bad potentially.

...of course everyone knows very very very bad can be overcome by saying everything will be fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

Fascinating and worrying in equal measure, that thread. This one in particular stood out:

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

he works for a pro single market think tank ... of course he may be impartial  , but :rolleyes:

I'd be somewhat surprised if he was invited to the table , so presumably he's gleaned all this information from his mate Dave down the pub in Brussels , unless the EU are now briefing British Influence ?

plus he appears to have a beard ..another reason not to trust him :) 

also  .. the quote mentioned some good news  .. what was it ?

25 minutes ago, choffer said:

Fascinating and worrying in equal measure, that thread. This one in particular stood out:

Do them for treason then. 

(I'm aware treason involved killing/overthrowing the sovereignty)

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

also  .. the quote mentioned some good news  .. what was it ?

That we can ask to extend the notice period in A50 in order to get our shit together.

EDIT - PS, cheers for figuring out who he was.  I'd gleaned that he was "involved / involving himself" but also couldn't see any official capacity.  Even if it's all nonsense, the fact that it's plausible nonsense is worry enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

That we can ask to extend the notice period in A50 in order to get our shit together.

EDIT - PS, cheers for figuring out who he was.  I'd gleaned that he was "involved / involving himself" but also couldn't see any official capacity.  Even if it's all nonsense, the fact that it's plausible nonsense is worry enough.

it's plausible for sure ...but then so is a deal that favours both parties  .. at this stage it's negotiations , talks and bluster  

of course for people with a Remain view it makes more sense to focus on the negatives  , likewise people with a Leave view will focus on other areas

I'm sure the EU will try and pressure the UK government through the media in a bid to overturn our decision , maybe even bring May/ the Govt  down , but people will be too busy pointing fingers at Putin to appreciate the irony in a foreign power trying to influence the citizens of the UK

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm sure the EU will try and pressure the UK government through the media in a bid to overturn our decision , maybe even bring May/ the Govt  down , but people will be too busy pointing fingers at Putin to appreciate the irony in a foreign power trying to influence the citizens of the UK

As it stands we're currently in the EU, so it's all internal influence.

Last time I checked, we weren't in any sort of similar agreement/pact with Russia but I might be wrong?

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd be somewhat surprised if he was invited to the table , so presumably he's gleaned all this information from his mate Dave down the pub in Brussels , unless the EU are now briefing British Influence ?

I'd imagine and suggest there are an almost infinite number of possible positions between being a confidante of Barnier and the 'Dave down the pub in Brussels' line.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â