The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

14 hours ago, Awol said:

Surely you'd expect the more than 17 million who voted for it to be quite pleased today? 

Oh, I see...  nevermind. I'll just pour another drink and carrying on celebrating.

Cheers. 

Celebrating what exactly? 

All we've done is said we are going to leave. Nobody has any clue if that will lead to things being better, worse or somewhere in between?

Celebrating now, is the equivalent of a football fan celebrating a win, when the score is 1-1, with 20min to go and the opposition have just equalised. 

Daft. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

All we've done is said we are going to leave. Nobody has any clue if that will lead to things being better, worse or somewhere in between?

Celebrating now, is the equivalent of a football fan celebrating a win, when the score is 1-1, with 20min to go and the opposition have just equalised. 

Daft. 

I'd say it's more like celebrating reaching a Play Off final personally.

4 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Daft. 

He appears to be celebrating the action of leaving an organisation, without the knowledge of whether that action will prove to be beneficial or harmful.

As you say, daft

• Like 3

Some people value the principle of leaving more than any consideration of it's effects.

There's also people that assume leaving will make things better. If nothing else I suppose you can admire the optimism. Or pity the naivety. Or realise some of these people were going to benefit either way so **** everyone else. Etc.

• Like 2

That was always the nature of the debate though.

The symbolism of 'leaving' v the 'what would happen if we do leave'.

Even now, the leave sentiment is far more rabid. No consideration towards the EU, towards post-Brexit, towards EU-citizens; just get us OUT!

it is amusing though that those who voted remain are just meant to get on with it and unite with those who voted leave when they've just shouted us down, called us enemies of the people, anti-British etc since :D

Edited by StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's also people that assume leaving will make things better. If nothing else I suppose you can admire the optimism. 

Could have sworn I've read that we've driven over a cliff edge , doomed etc 

i don't think assumptions are a stick to beat one side with if I'm honest 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Could have sworn I've read that we've driven over a cliff edge , doomed etc 

i don't think assumptions are a stick to beat one side with if I'm honest 

I hold no stick and administer no beatings. I admire the optimism even if I disagree (hence pitying the naivety as well. Perhaps I'll be wrong).

55 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd say it's more like celebrating reaching a Play Off final personally.

That's a fair analogy, expect what I've seen is way beyond that. 

I've probably let social media cloud my judgement here, but we seem to have a reasonable section of our society who aspire to being like the American rednecks we've all took the piss out of for years.

yeeep dawwwwg let's make Britain Great again Y'all (insert picture of a fecking Pepe meme in red white and blue) 

Lets hope the Tories do a better job with the EU replacement plan than trump did on healthcare over there, cos that is going swimmingly so far. 

Deplorables indeed. 

Edited by wazzap24

All I know is the facts I’ve witnessed. Twice this morning my coaster has stuck to the bottom of my cup and I’ve sloshed black coffee on my work whilst trying to release the coaster with a wiggle of the cup.
This wasn’t happening before that letter was sent in, but it is now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon said:

He appears to be celebrating the action of leaving an organisation, without the knowledge of whether that action will prove to be beneficial or harmful.

As you say, daft

Unless one believed that membership of the organization itself was harmful.. which I have believed for years. 

In which case, not so daft, at least in the reasoning for being optimistic.

Sadly I lack the crystal ball with which so many Remainers seem to have devined our impending doom.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

Unless one believed that membership of the organization itself was harmful.. which I have believed for years. 

In which case, not so daft, at least in the reasoning for being optimistic.

Sadly I lack the crystal ball with which so many Remainers seem to have devined our impending doom.  

That last line has become the 'trump card' for Brexiteers in general.

You believed the EU was causing harm - fair enough, but you have no idea if leaving will cause more harm or not. None. 

There is nothing to celebrate, yes there is potential opportunity, but it is served with a healthy portion of uncertainty too. 

Instead of recognising this, the only response is to deflect and point at Remainers negativity. 

The mentality is scarily similar to the cult of the Donald. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Daft. 

That's not the football analogy I would pick myself.

I would go for sacking one manager and hiring a new one in the full knowledge that changing the manager has rarely worked in the past but the few instances where it did, offers the hope that this time will be one of the exceptions.

The EU would be the equivalent of a manager who keeps losing, plays lousy football, but keeps telling you everything is great, no matter how the results go.

Or, maybe, the fact that Brexit might amount to a relegation season but it is made more bearable because the club you hate the most is getting relegated with you.

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That's not the football analogy I would pick myself.

I would go for sacking one manager and hiring a new one in the full knowledge that changing the manager has rarely worked in the past but the few instances where it did, offers the hope that this time will be one of the exceptions.

The EU would be the equivalent of a manager who keeps losing, plays lousy football, but keeps telling you everything is great, no matter how the results go.

Or, maybe, the fact that Brexit might amount to a relegation season but it is made more bearable because the club you hate the most is getting relegated with you.

I didn't particularly agree with the first analogy but the bolded is even worse.

also on remainers - those who actively see and feel the benefit from the EU - don't exactly need a crystal ball to see leaving the EU means leaving those benefits - at very best they are highly uncertain - i.e. with Universities. But hey, just misery doom-mongering to say that leaving will lead to a weakening of the current position. Don't really need all those grants and research funding anyway. And even if some of the money is initially protected by the current govt for existing programs, what about after? What about the extra hassle in encouraging european scholars or researchers? Well I suppose those bookish types are just the kind of FILTHY ELITES we should be glad to be rid of. Silly people. 

Some people don't see a side losing in the first place which is why that analogy doesn't work. May have its flaws, but hard not to view it as jumping gleefully out of the bathtub and throwing the water all around, shouting "I'm free" I'm free!" yet to acknowledge there might be a bit of a mess to clear up :P 

I hope we end up better off, but I very much doubt it, I think a certain small number of people will benefit extremely well in levels of influence they can exert over the rest of us, and we will now have even fewer protections available to check that. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Here's the new guy explaining what he wants from the deal....

Edited by wazzap24
Crap with gifs

17 hours ago, ChrisVillan said:

You'd have to be a special kind of arsehole to actively celebrate it. 

Equally as bad to march against something in London that is already happening to me means they think 1 final march with Mr and Mrs important will change everyone's mind or they are indeed,  words removed.  

Â