The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

What has been called the Battle of Brexit is over ... the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of British civilisation. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and the Commonwealth of Nations. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Juncker knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.

But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted ideology. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour.

21 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As despicable a piece of idiocy as has ever been written on these pages. 

It's a 'comic' riff on Churchill, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Edit: Perhaps that's too generous. It's Churchill's speech with Brexit replacing France, I think.

Edited by snowychap

When they say you can't chose your family, but you can chose your friends. 

I have recently found the same is applied to people that you happen to be born in the same country as. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I suppose the next important question is do we make 29th March a public holiday going forward or 23rd June ?

Trolling only really works if you make it a bit less obvious Tony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

It is (and yes, heavy on the inverted commas). And given what the original was talking about, it's breathtakingly moronic.

I read it more as an ironic take on what some people think will be the debating style between the UK and the EU in the coming months.  MMV isn't a particularly rabid Brexiteer is he?  As for using the speech as the comedic device, it's not that uncommon for Churchill quotes is it?  I must have heard "we shall fight them on the beaches" a thousand times from various people, none of whom were talking about fighting Hitler's army in WWII.  I think you might possibly be getting unnecessarily upset over what was intended as a light-hearted post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Trolling only really works if you make it a bit less obvious Tony.

After your reaction to MMV's post I thought I should play safe :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

If either become a national holiday, can we choose to go into work and earn double overtime?

I'm expecting overtime to be banned as all workers rights are removed during the process of leaving the EU 

• Like 4

Â