The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

We are getting heaps of reports in Australia about people who regret their Leave vote and didn't actually think Leave would get up.

We have a federal election in a week and i'm using the example set in the UK of why it's important to vote properly for something that actually represents your interests. There are a few useful tools on the net like https://votecompass.abc.net.au/ which can help Australians figure out who to vote for even if they don't care or don't like any of the candidates. 

I feel like the Brexit result might change the course of how people vote and how much they educate themselves on what they are voting for across the Western world in the short to medium term.

• Like 2

I must admit, my knowledge of British politics is quite vague, but was this one of those referendums in which the choice is either logical common sense or the ridiculous, and the madness had somehow snuck in? From what I gather from a lot of intelligent and well informed VT posters, this is kind of like waking up one morning in the lounge room after a heavy night of drinking, there is a donkey wearing a sombrero beside you playing FIFA on your playstation while rambling about the tourism boom potential of Luton, and you think " Where the bloody hell did you come from? Something like that?

20 minutes ago, AJ said:

I must admit, my knowledge of British politics is quite vague, but was this one of those referendums in which the choice is either logical common sense or the ridiculous, and the madness had somehow snuck in? From what I gather from a lot of intelligent and well informed VT posters, this is kind of like waking up one morning in the lounge room after a heavy night of drinking, there is a donkey wearing a sombrero beside you playing FIFA on your playstation while rambling about the tourism boom potential of Luton, and you think " Where the bloody hell did you come from? Something like that?

For a lot of 'leave' voters it seems like this was a Donald Trump style protest vote. They don't care that the result might leave them worse off if they feel like they have nothing to lose anyway and voting leave results in a big **** you to the political establishment.  

I voted leave, as did most of my family and friends. Not because we are, uneducated, stupid, racist or wanting to kick the establishment.  We did it because we all thought it is in the best interests of the country in the long term. 

I know a few people who voted Remain but they have, save one, taken the result with good grace and accepted it. The one who hasn't is filthy rich and is angry that he will lose a few quid on his investments. 

On balance I think the country has done the right thing and in light of the ongoing political fratricide, we may end up in a few months with political parties that more broadly represent the electorate. A very good thing if it turns out that way.

• Like 4

Sajid Javid has just been on Andrew marr and admitted that the 'punishment budget' was never going to happen and that if they try to make it work there won't be a recession. Will the uproar following this be equal to farage? The only difference between the two statements being that they made the budget statement in a position where they knew they could enforce it so hoped people would have to believe it would be implemented. Farage made his statement when he, and everyone else, knew he wasn't actually in a position to implement it. I know which I think is worse...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The Lib Dems are going to campaign for the next GE on the platform of rejecting the referendum and staying in the EU.

I guess it can't exactly lose them anymore seats.

I suppose they also going to oppose increasing tuition fees as well

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I suppose they also going to oppose increasing tuition fees as well

Or spending £350m on the NHS.

I think we've pretty much established any campaign that didn't actually think it was going to win, and make good it's promises, will promise any old s**t.

29 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Sajid Javid has just been on Andrew marr and admitted that the 'punishment budget' was never going to happen and that if they try to make it work there won't be a recession. Will the uproar following this be equal to farage? The only difference between the two statements being that they made the budget statement in a position where they knew they could enforce it so hoped people would have to believe it would be implemented. Farage made his statement when he, and everyone else, knew he wasn't actually in a position to implement it. I know which I think is worse...

Yep, the Remain campaign really was a string of beautifully choreographed whoppers, from the Treasury to Obama and almost everything in between. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Sajid Javid has just been on Andrew marr and admitted that the 'punishment budget' was never going to happen and that if they try to make it work there won't be a recession. Will the uproar following this be equal to farage?

I haven't watched it and all I've read is the brief bit on the beeb website where it says:

Mr Javid, a close ally of Mr Osborne, also declined to comment on whether there would be an emergency budget.

If Javid actually confirmed that he and his fellow government ministers lied in their campaigning then yes he should receive the same level of opprobrium and it should be added to the pile of crap that tells people not to trust what politicians tell them in campaigns (or elsewhere, for that matter).

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3&pnref=story

As these seem like incidents we should all be aware of I've made an album for them.

13502038_10101369197042185_1362509722253

So sad that this vote has given the bottom feeders of the country the opportunity to be openly racist and xenophobic to their fellow men and women.

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Sturgeon talking about Scotland's ability to block the move, and along with that Reddit analysis of DCs resignation checkmate I get the feeling this is FAR from over.

She needs to stop talking out of her hat. They are part of the UK and unfortunately the UK has voted to leave. 

She seems to have some support in the HOL. I don't expect Scotland to veto leaving the EU, even if they can, but I expect it to be a major bargaining chip in securing another Scottish Independence referendum.

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

She needs to stop talking out of her hat. They are part of the UK and unfortunately the UK has voted to leave. 

There is a piece of legislation that potentially means she may be correct in saying Scotland could block/frustrate the move. In reality it's exceptionally unlikely though.

And of course the only reason she would even attempt to do it is to force another independence referendum. Everything Sturgeon does is framed in those terms. They can smell a nailed on referendum and nailed on win, anything that stokes that they will be after like a boistrous staffy with a cuddly toy .

Edited by Chindie

4 hours ago, Awol said:

I voted leave, as did most of my family and friends. Not because we are, uneducated, stupid, racist or wanting to kick the establishment.  We did it because we all thought it is in the best interests of the country in the long term. 

I know a few people who voted Remain but they have, save one, taken the result with good grace and accepted it. The one who hasn't is filthy rich and is angry that he will lose a few quid on his investments. 

On balance I think the country has done the right thing and in light of the ongoing political fratricide, we may end up in a few months with political parties that more broadly represent the electorate. A very good thing if it turns out that way.

So with what's happened since, are you starting to think you were wrong and the experts were right? Or were you expecting this level of shit storm?

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

We are getting heaps of reports in Australia about people who regret their Leave vote and didn't actually think Leave would get up.

We have a federal election in a week and i'm using the example set in the UK of why it's important to vote properly for something that actually represents your interests. There are a few useful tools on the net like https://votecompass.abc.net.au/ which can help Australians figure out who to vote for even if they don't care or don't like any of the candidates. 

I feel like the Brexit result might change the course of how people vote and how much they educate themselves on what they are voting for across the Western world in the short to medium term.

What I like about Australian elections is mandatory voting. I'd love it here but it'll never happen. 

Â