The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The couple can still move to France and retire if they get a visa, it will be similar to what Australians need to do for instance. It’s obviously going to be more effort than taking advantage of the ‘freedom of movement’ legislation but if they have a house there it would be worth looking at rather than just selling the house. 

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have to be honest, my immediate reaction to that thread is 'didn't happen'.

Yeah. It’s total bollocks. 

But I bet the first tweet is true. In so much as Brexiteers will never blame themselves. When things go tits up it will be someone else’s fault

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My parents live in France, surprisingly, for racists they voted Remain. I may have to ask them if they know. 

Similarly my parents also live in France and whilst I wouldn’t go as far as being full blown racist, they are a little bit. They voted remain too, I expect only to ensure they can stay as they are and have frictionless movement back and forth to the UK (plus healthcare access). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Similarly my parents also live in France and whilst I wouldn’t go as far as being full blown racist, they are a little bit. They voted remain too, I expect only to ensure they can stay as they are and have frictionless movement back and forth to the UK (plus healthcare access). 

It always blows my mind how selfish people are when they vote.

I'm not having a dig at your parents by the way :)

I just mean that people vote for their own interests so much, with or without the right outcome. I worked with someone at the time who voted to leave purely because they were an amateur pilot and the UK's rules for pilots were better suited to her than the EU's rules

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It always blows my mind how selfish people are when they vote.

I'm not having a dig at your parents by the way :)

I just mean that people vote for their own interests so much, with or without the right outcome. I worked with someone at the time who voted to leave purely because they were an amateur pilot and the UK's rules for pilots were better suited to her than the EU's rules

People will naturally vote for what they think suits them better personally. I know a few tradesmen who think that the influx of Eastern European tradesmen has driven down their pay packets so voted leave purely for that reason. They believe that out of the EU they will have less competition and will be able to charge more (they are oblivious to the increase in cost of living that causes for all of us).

If I was a Brit, retired and happily living in France the last thing I want it to potentially have to sell up and come back to the UK so would vote to protect myself (even if it made me look a bit of a hypocrite).

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

It’s really not a problem, we either get a deal that’s vague enough for us to claim victory, or we get what is clearly a bad deal and blame them for being sore losers.

Whatever happens will be vindication for having left such a vast trading block without a plan.

They got all the press to spend a day yesterday telling the public Johnson is Roosevelt and we’ll spend our way out of this, £5 billion of already announced money, all specifically for england, not Scotland, N.I., or Wales. All under the UK headline.

i suspect Newsnight might do a segment suggesting it’s a poor deal, and then apologise the next day for anti government sentiment creeping in to their reporting. But other than that, it’ll be plain sailing for Gove and Cummings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Genuine question, feel free to be as abusive as you normally are to anybody who doesn't share your view:,is there any "remainer" on here who is actually going to take advantage of the free movement, and move to live in the EU?

Do you mean apart from the people who already have?

Edited by ml1dch

Â