The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

7 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Genuine question, feel free to be as abusive as you normally are to anybody who doesn't share your view:,is there any "remainer" on here who is actually going to take advantage of the free movement, and move to live in the EU?

For starters there’s a million people in Northern Ireland who rather care about EU borders.

5 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

How many then?

Of the x thousand members of this forum? I'm afraid that's not information that I'm privy to. I'm not sure why you think I would be.

On the extremely unlikely chance that you're asking the question in good faith, I took advantage of it in my twenties. Since came back. My brother has been taking advantage of his right since he was 18, and is still doing so 15 years later. 

It amazes me people think ending freedom of movement can be a good thing.

I mean seriously, the giveaway should be that it has the word freedom in there and any ending of freedoms should seldom be seen as anything other than a gross imposition on our personal liberties.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

So you're  considering moving to the South then Enda?

No I’m from the south, and know plenty of people who previously or currently live/work either side of the border. Nordies are welcome to dual British-Irish citizenship to continue benefiting from freedom of movement but I’m not sure making Unionists apply for Irish passports was the Tories’ plan.

47 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Genuine question, feel free to be as abusive as you normally are to anybody who doesn't share your view:,is there any "remainer" on here who is actually going to take advantage of the free movement, and move to live in the EU?

Whilst not labelling myself as a 100% remainer, I have given it serious thought and we have discussed it as a family.

Age and finance is somewhat against me uprooting to another country, but we have genuinely discussed it in a level of detail beyond just a chatter.

If things genuinely go bad, we would look to get out, yes. Though I’m not sure how.

My nipper got the degree they were after today and has good friends and connections in Switzerland and Austria. We’re all hoping something concrete will eventually spring from that. My main feeling if they left, would be a tinge of envy.

If Scotland were to manage to split, I have work and family connections and that would be a massive massive consideration.

My impression is the people that are delighted about the end to freedom of movement are the same ones who when they have to queue in Benidorm airport for longer will scream bloody murder.

I just can’t see how any one sees it as a good thing unless you have yet to realise it applies to you and not just Jonny Foreigner who you pretend stole your fruit picking job

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I've thought about it. And I'm getting my Irish passport to ensure I keep my free movement so i can do so in future.

Although whether I'm going to do it or not has basically zero relevance unless you're going to expand on your point a little?

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Freedom of movement is a bit of misnomer anyway. Theres not much freedom of movement for individuals outside the EU

Why does that make freedom of movement within the EU a misnomer?

And if there's very little outside of the EU, doesn't that make the freedom of movement within the EU even better?

I'm still struggling to see what point you're trying to make here... unless it was genuinely a straw poll on how many VTers reading this particular thread were going to move to a country in the EU?

Â