The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably the Tories would all vote for it + the DUP

the 21 turncoats , SNP and Lib Dems will vote against it  , so it comes down to Labour  and how many of them are prepared to vote with it  , Caroline flint and 18 others came out saying they would be prepared to back a deal but not sure that would be enough

You really have been listening to Boris and Donald too much methinks.

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Leaving with a deal and the pound will recover, but nowhere near where it was.

Remaining will boost the pound back to where it was 25th June 2016.

Leaving with no deal with absolutely tank it.

Keep it down will you, I've got millions on this being the exact result. Shush, you'll spook the horses.

because-its-all-12j5w8.jpg

Edited by Chindie

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I posted the other week that it seemed to have become a distraction on how bad a lot of the WA is /was  , but it seems to be the main obstacle to getting a withdrawal agreement   .

The rest of it remains to be seen ,  it won't surprise you to know that personally i don't think the economy will tank, nor do i think the £ will go any lower than it has in the recent period 

bury-your-head-in-the-sand.jpg

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Leaving with a deal and the pound will recover, but nowhere near where it was.

Remaining will boost the pound back to where it was 25th June 2016.

Leaving with no deal with absolutely tank it.

The currency is currently viewed as under valued but you'd need interest rates to go higher to see a return to 25th June 16 levels  , there was an argument that sterling was over valued at that time so a rate around $1.40 - $1.50 seems more realistic

A likely GE will affect the £  in the short term , so i should probably revise my original comment that the £ won't go much lower  as there is too much uncertainty at present as to how the result would go

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

oh get over yourself , if you don't like me having a bit of fun then do the world a favour and hit the ignore button 

So what?

Do we take everything you say as a joke? 

This is the issue with constant flippancy. Nobody knows when you're being serious.

I'm not sure telling snowy to 'get over himself' here is fair.

• Like 2

The current balance in Parliament means a deal will likely require the support of the DUP block vote. A deal agreed with the EU that is passed by Parliament effectively means the Irish Government agreeing with the DUP. That doesn’t seem likely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

So what?

Do we take everything you say as a joke? 

This is the issue with constant flippancy. Nobody knows when you're being serious.

I'm not sure telling snowy to 'get over himself' here is fair.

you'd probably need to do a count of how many times he uses the " pathetic" comment and make up your own mind about what is fair

I thought the use of the word turncoats was obvious , but tbf you did post a rainier wolfcastle pic for me the other day when I missed an obvious joke someone else made , so it can happen :)

Edited by tonyh29
modified to " uses " rather than " trots "

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

bury-your-head-in-the-sand.jpg

You'll have to do better than that , you're not even close to cracking the  VT top 500 amusing insults  yet ,  D -  and better luck next time

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you'd probably need to do a count of how many times he trots out the " pathetic" comment and make up your own mind about what is fair

According to the search function (link) :

Search the Community

Showing results for 'pathetic' in content posted by snowychap.

Found 4 results

The function may be broken but two of those posts appear to be in the Xia thread responding to someone else's use of the term.

Edited by snowychap

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

All of that is fair.

Irrelevant to my questions to VLV though. I asked which countries he thinks will leave after us and why

To be fair I never said I thought any countries would leave. It was just a general throw away comment that I guess I should have kept to myself.

In fact I think it’s now probably very unlikely another country would leave after the whole of Europe has seen how difficult it is to leave.

I was just pointing out that in the future other countries may want to leave.  The two that spring to mind are Italy and Greece.

Italy’s League party is one of the most popular parties in Italy.  If they were to get in to power they could hold a referendum to leave

Greece already had a referendum in 2015 that rejected bailout conditions with a majority of 61%.  This was pretty much rejecting the EU.  The result was totally ignored and a bailout was agreed anyway.

Not convincing arguments because I’m not trying to convince anyone that other countries are going to leave.    But it’s clear all is not rosy in Europe so anything’s possible.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would strongly advise people not to make confident predictions about the value of the pound. 

Agree. Although I personally think the pound is near a bottom deal or no deal. QE or rate cuts would hurt it a bit more though. 

Edit: On the plus side if the pound does drop a lot further the FTSE will rocket. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I worked 40 years in the car business. Currently 60% of our car production is exported to Europe. Nissans closing of its night shift at Sunderland and its statement that it will “review” its business model, is just the tip of the iceberg. JLR has the capacity in Europe to build 400,000 vehicles if necessary. Toyota and Honda also need European sales without tariffs, Vauxhall are owned by the PSG group. Their commitment to Britain is entirely dependant on performance, as Ryton found to their cost. Other industries which rely on fast moving parts will find trade barriers a great disincentive to staying here. Trust me the economy will tank.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The two that spring to mind are Italy and Greece.

Despite everything that has been thrown at the Greeks, more want to remain now than at the height of its crisis

Polls in Italy indicate that the EU has become more popular amongst its population since they elcted the right wing nut jobs

The last thing either of those two countries needs to do is leave

• Like 3

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

and why.

A country might be they are forced to leave due to eg Human rights abuse (after a major lurch to the right) or fiscal irregularities than mean they are cast adrift to reduce the chance of contagion as these are against the underlying values of the EU and all that as examples.  It could be anything I suppose,  1 country invades another is all it takes or terrorism linked back to EU country Y and it all goes wrong.  Chance of it happening miniscule,  chance of UK leaving EU 10 years ago,  also miniscule.  UK leaving EU thread that would never happen 1049 pages +.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

A country might be they are forced to leave due to eg Human rights abuse (after a major lurch to the right) or fiscal irregularities than mean they are cast adrift to reduce the chance of contagion as these are against the underlying values of the EU and all that as examples.  It could be anything I suppose,  1 country invades another is all it takes or terrorism linked back to EU country Y and it all goes wrong.  Chance of it happening miniscule,  chance of UK leaving EU 10 years ago,  also miniscule.  UK leaving EU thread that would never happen 1049 pages +.  

That was all I meant from my OP. Looks like I just said to much so had to explain myself.

• Like 1

Â