The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The GBP has gained approximately 2% value against other major currencies this evening. If that’s solely on the “ Boris Johnson and Leo Varadkar 'can see pathway to a deal' “ headline, it seems an easy way for the headline makers to make money.

I also wonder if business associates of the chief person in power across the Atlantic are able to make a fast buck by shorting/buying just prior to each tighting/loosening of trade between the U.S. and China is announced. Perhaps I’m too cynical. 

@mjmooney and anyone else interested in whether and to what extent conservatives and liberals are just different -

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/the-ezra-klein-show/e/62043840

This is quite a good listen, even if it is a bit dense at times and very much based in an American context. It's a conversation focused on the evidence of differing personality types between conservatives and liberals, particularly in the context of how those differences affect media choices. The personality stuff begins in earnest around the 18 minute mark and continues for about half an hour or so, but the whole conversation is interesting. The basic takeaway though, is that yes conservatives and liberals are very different, even in their responses to non-political stimuli like being shown pictures of spiders or told stories of hospital workers cleaning up sick.

8 hours ago, brommy said:

The GBP has gained approximately 2% value against other major currencies this evening. If that’s solely on the “ Boris Johnson and Leo Varadkar 'can see pathway to a deal' “ headline, it seems an easy way for the headline makers to make money.

I also wonder if business associates of the chief person in power across the Atlantic are able to make a fast buck by shorting/buying just prior to each tighting/loosening of trade between the U.S. and China is announced. Perhaps I’m too cynical. 

You are not. That is 2019 politics/economics.

All you need is a Donald Trump tweet and Wall Street goes into overdrive.

52 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You are not. That is 2019 politics/economics.

All you need is a Donald Trump tweet and Wall Street goes into overdrive.

Or a celebrity. Can't remember the exact person or figures but didn't one of the Kardashian's tweet asking something like "does everybody still use snapchat?" and it wiped about 4 billion off the value of the app in an instant.

EDIT: found it

Snap (SNAP) stock closed down 6% on Thursday after the reality TV star said she is no longer using the app. The plunge wiped about $1.3 billion off the company's market value.

Jenner has been one of Snapchat's most influential users.

"Sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me... ugh this is so sad," Jenner tweeted on Wednesday.

Link to keep the admin happy although I know nobody will click it

Edited by Genie

10 hours ago, brommy said:

Stocks are the same. For the past 10 years world markets have been moved on central bank announcements.  The time of the announcement being the largest moves. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair do you know what’s going to happen to the EU in the coming years and what would happen to us if we remained?

Whatever the elected leaders of Europe want to happen, subject to it meeting the approval of the European Parliament?

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair do you know what’s going to happen to the EU in the coming years and what would happen to us if we remained?

I don't know what would happen if I stay sat in this chair and I don't know what would happen if I jumped out of the window.

It's fair to assume that all things being equal, staying sat in this chair in a warm safe boring office is probably the less risky option.

I cannot totally rule out being saved by a champion blow job unicorn in a hot air balloon if I jump. It just feels like an unlikely outcome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I don't know what would happen if I stay sat in this chair and I don't know what would happen if I jumped out of the window.

It's fair to assume that all things being equal, staying sat in this chair in a warm safe boring office is probably the less risky option.

I cannot totally rule out being saved by a champion blow job unicorn in a hot air balloon if I jump. It just feels like an unlikely outcome.

You know fully well what happens if we jump out of that window. We should still do it though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Whatever the elected leaders of Europe want to happen, subject to it meeting the approval of the European Parliament?

Well yes that’s what we would expect to happen.  But then in 2015 we wouldn’t have expected we would be a few day’s from leaving 3 years in.  

Btw I’m not defending that women or arguing  leave or remain. I’m just saying all is not rosy in Europe.  In the coming years we could even see more countries wanting to leave. 

Â