The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Jess Philips was on tv yesterday saying she’s knocked on 25,000 doors in 6 weeks and only 12 people have mentioned Brexit.

I suspect maths is not a strong point.

Although, when you break it down, 25,000 doors in 6 weeks is 25 doors an hour, every hour of every day. Keeping up that house per 4 minutes pace through the early hours then yes, I can see how that brief conversation at 3:15 a.m. was not initially going to be about Brexit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Jess Philips was on tv yesterday saying she’s knocked on 25,000 doors in 6 weeks and only 12 people have mentioned Brexit.

Although, when you break it down, 25,000 doors in 6 weeks is 25 doors an hour, every hour of every day. Keeping up that house per 4 minutes pace through the early hours then yes, I can see how that brief conversation at 3:15 a.m. was not initially going to be about Brexit.

I find it impossible to believe that Our Jess could lie about anything.  I expect her poor knuckles are scraped raw, poor dear.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, colhint said:

I know it doesn't mean treated, which is what you said.

It was a joke that you took seriously for starters

It let's see if this makes sense. The only treatment is to cull the affected herd

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If you haven’t met them on your extensive world travels, that’s absolutely fine. You’ve met one now. 

A second: 

(MEP for Yorkshire & The Humber, speaking in the European Parliament)

Edited by ml1dch

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

A second: 

(MEP for Yorkshire & The Humber, speaking in the European Parliament)

ash, smoke, hate, horror, death and destruction  .... I assumed he was talking about Sheffield to start with 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I took it straight away as her team which is what she's since clarified, she knocked on about 4 pre selected doors whilst the local rag was there taking photos then let her interns and volunteers do everyone else

that's nothing new or incredible in politics, it even has a name - canvassing - everybody does it, what she didn't mention was that out of those 25k doors 50% of them were done between the hours of 9-5 so people weren't in, the other 40% pretended not to be in, 9.99% told them to piss off and out of the 12 people left they talked about brexit

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, peterms said:

I expect her poor knuckles are scraped raw, poor dear.

Add this to the 25k doors x 10 knocks each (As everyone hides from the lurch).  If she has anything other than stumps for hands she F*****ing lying.  She could use the bell but she cant reach down that far.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I took it straight away as her team which is what she's since clarified, she knocked on about 4 pre selected doors whilst the local rag was there taking photos then let her interns and volunteers do everyone else

that's nothing new or incredible in politics, it even has a name - canvassing - everybody does it, what she didn't mention was that out of those 25k doors 50% of them were done between the hours of 9-5 so people weren't in, the other 40% pretended not to be in, 9.99% told them to piss off and out of the 12 people left they talked about brexit

As it it was Jess Phillips , i took it to mean she used her kid as a prop and knocked on a couple of doors and then buggered off to write her next book

she seems to have got the hump about people making fun of her though

1 hour ago, blandy said:

No absolutely not. The opposite for me. I like her. I think she gets her message across straightforwardly, easily, clearly. She's part of Labour that would and does deal with the world as it is and tries to make it better for people. She's also clearly a member of the human race.

Your call of course.

I have to profess to not really knowing too much about her, my comment is based almost solely on aesthetics.

I remember her on the news earlier in the year, facing off to muslim parents outside a school in Brum with them protesting against the teaching of gay and trans content.

Now, I do/did not side with those protesting (although I do question at what age it is appropriate to introduce children to what is highly complex stuff that personally speaking, I don't think kids should be having to think about) - but her method of dealing with them was horrendous, she didn't listen to them, just pretended to until she could speak and dominate the conversation, and when she did speak she did so in a way that I found hugely condescending and dismissive - which reminded me of all the teachers I hated at school.

Just to add some context to my comment :)

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Your call of course.

I have to profess to not really knowing too much about her, my comment is based almost solely on aesthetics.

I remember her on the news earlier in the year, facing off to muslim parents outside a school in Brum with them protesting against the teaching of gay and trans content.

Now, I do/did not side with those protesting (although I do question at what age it is appropriate to introduce children to what is highly complex stuff that personally speaking, I don't think kids should be having to think about) - but her method of dealing with them was horrendous, she didn't listen to them, just pretended to until she could speak and dominate the conversation, and when she did speak she did so in a way that I found hugely condescending and dismissive - which reminded me of all the teachers I hated at school.

Just to add some context to my comment :)

in ordinary times an MP getting paid £8k a month for 2 hours work and employing her husband would be a top 10 VT villain , but screech At Boris Johnson whilst showing your ignorance of a job you’ve been paid to do the last 4 years and suddenly you’re a heroine for our times 

but  we are veering way off topic

40 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Whilst what you describe is not perfect, I'd rather that than the knobhead Labour parachuted into my seat, he's an automaton who will parrot whatever the party line is today, regardless of if he said the opposite the previous week. He will also never stand up to people in his constituency who he disagrees with, he just wants to agree with everyone and have his photo taken. I swear the first ten pages of one of those free local rags that gets posted through the door had a photo of Bungalow Bill

Give me Phillips over that moron any day of the week

MPs should stand up for what they believe in, at least Phillips goes against the party line when she feels she has to. If she was my MP I'd feel more comfortable voting Labour. (Still wouldn't under present circs but... )

Â