The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Their bad hand comes from supporting Brexit in the first place. Once they had done, there was no way they could come out ahead. 

Oh absolutely. That's when they decided to pick up the 2 and 7 from the table. 

Then again, you could probably apply that to pretty much everyone else who supported it. 

What are we thinking we're going to get today?

I'm thinking deal agreed with the EU and a delay into 2020 to implement it.

It'll then fail the get through the house of commons so we'll be back where we were.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

What are we thinking we're going to get today?

I'm thinking deal agreed with the EU and a delay into 2020 to implement it.

It'll then fail the get through the house of commons so we'll be back where we were.

I don't know the details and obviously I'm not going to take the word of someone on twitter as gospel as to what the deal is   , but if they are in the right ball park with their ITK claims    , then I can't see parliament voting this deal through either.

However, as it is a deal of some description , from parliaments pov , it gets "No Deal" off the table and possibly gives an extension that Mr Dead in a ditch can also kinda agree to as technically he hasn't had to ask for it or be forced through the courts to ask for   .... thus presumably it removes the opposition objections to a GE  ..and away we go

And then we repeat the whole process in a few months time  ,

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

They'll find a new objection. They may well go for the GoNU after 31st though

IMO, Labour would be foolish to go for a GE before Brexit has been sorted, one way or the other.  

They want and need a GE to be about social justice, foodbanks, NHS, austerity etc, not brexit. 

So I'm with Bicks, GoNU best option.  

2 hours ago, Jon said:

IMO, Labour would be foolish to go for a GE before Brexit has been sorted, one way or the other.  

They want and need a GE to be about social justice, foodbanks, NHS, austerity etc, not brexit. 

So I'm with Bicks, GoNU best option.  

Creating a government that would be seen as illegitimate will not make the election be about things other than Brexit. It would make that less likely, not more. In addition, there is no majority to 'sort' Brexit in any way in this Parliament, so there will have to be an election first. 

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Yeah, absolutely. It's basically only Catweazle who wants it that way round. The rest of the LP, even his closest mates like Abbott, MacDonell, Long-Bailey and Co. think a referendum, then an election makes sense. And it does. Because either way, as you say, it removes Brexit from its all consuming role in a subsequennt election, (and where it still angers Leavers, they'll blame the tories and vote for the NF party), so Labour's message on the other things can stand or fall on its merits.  

Hard to see how the DUP can accept something that makes NI anything other than fully part of the UK customs union.  It goes to the heart of the identity issue for them, and compromise would make them an easy target for attack by other unionist elements.  It's not something that can be sorted with another bribe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

a number acceptable to the DUP

The only number acceptable to the DUP is "ONE"" because if you're backwards looking, it's got a NO in it.

edit - though if you look hard enough so does £10 billion

Â