The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

No I can't. I worked in Joeys for a while that's probably the most cosmopolitan Sub saharan city. Didn't matter what your ethnicity, everyone identified by country. Same when I was in Asia. And don't think for a minute any Mexican or Canadian would ever describe themselves as North American.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not primarily, but as well as nationality. I have an Argentinian friend, who is quite happy to be identified as 'Latin American' among her European (e.g. British) friends. Doesn't mean she thinks she's Chilean or Brazilian, but she can see there are cultural similarities, just I can perceive cultural similarities between Brits and (say) Swedes, or French people, or Poles - as opposed to (say) Americans (even though Britain and the US share a language). I just can't see why any British person would insist that we aren't European; we simply are. 

I'm sure that's true. But how does she desribe herself. Is it Argentina or Latin American. Of course the other side is on my travels people would always introduce me as English or a Brit, Same with all the other nationals I worked with. German, French, Italian Spanish. I can't ever remember a time when we were introduced as Europeans.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Where is the “ I’m European but I’m not .... “ video ? As that’s the one central to the discussion on the past few pages 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Where is the “ I’m European but I’m not .... “ video ? As that’s the one central to the discussion on the past few pages

You really want me to put an Elton john Video Up? Oh well, you asked for it

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

North American friends refer to me as a european. Filthy colonial bastards. 

Tbh I doubt your average American even has a notion of what Europe is :)

Just now, tonyh29 said:

could have been worse,  it could have been a Queen video 

C'mon, there's absolutely no need for that. Famine, pestilence and an ISIS invasion wouldn't make me post such offensive material!

• Haha 1

One thing that has become clear in these last few pages is that it’s not just people’s  mindsets that seem to fall into different  viewpoints , we also seem to interact with entirely different people  

Type A are people who everyone they know  introduces themself at dinner parties as being from a continent rather than a country and enjoy listening to Elton John 

Type B people never meet anyone that says Hi I’m Carlos from Latin America at dinner parties or visit offices in Wales 

we truly are a divided nation indeed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, colhint said:

Maybe, It's got me wondering if Gammon is a pan European epidemic.

It's the human equivalent of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis and can be effectively treated by regional isolation

Trouble is the whole region suffering the outbreak has to suffer great pain and can take many decades to recover even after the affected stock have been culled

• Haha 1

I guess there must be a gammon contingent in every country, to greater or lesser extents.

Gammon might not be the phrase they’d use, obviously, but they’ll be there. Can you have a halal gammon? That could need a different term.

There are quite a lot of people, you’re going to get a wide range of views in a wide range of places.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's the human equivalent of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis and can be effectively treated by regional isolation

Trouble is the whole region suffering the outbreak has to suffer great pain and can take many decades to recover even after the affected stock have been culled

Not sure that's true. BSE can't be treated. Maybe mistaken but I'm led to believe it's 100% fatal.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess there must be a gammon contingent in every country, to greater or lesser extents.

Gammon might not be the phrase they’d use, obviously, but they’ll be there. Can you have a halal gammon? That could need a different term.

There are quite a lot of people, you’re going to get a wide range of views in a wide range of places.

Glammon?

Â