The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Not directly related to this discussion but it is a bit of a problem for the planet when we all expect our supermarkets to look like those pictures even though it’s February. 

Most of this stuff will have either been grown under lights or flown in from afar.

The whole idea of eating local and seasonal has long disappeared. 

I'm not sure that's true for supermarkets in France. Much of it will have be from Provence or Spain.

I agree in general about food miles though. If people want strawberries all year round, they need to be a lot more expensive out of season. But now I've made this off topic.

Iirc Spain is the biggest veg grower in Europe, or near enough is. There's huge tracts of Spain just covered in poly tunnels growing all sorts of veg that is ungrowable in most conditions year round elsewhere.

This crisis suggests that Morocco is following suit (no shock - I'm sure they're part of the EU's 'local neighborhood border country' policies which will give them an in to providing food into Europe).

Another Brexit benefit though is revealed in this field - make it that bit harder for produce to come in and if they have problems at the production end, you'll get it even harder than anyone else.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chindie said:

IThere's huge tracts of Spain just covered in poly tunnels growing all sorts of veg that is ungrowable in most conditions year round elsewhere.

Yep. Visible from space, they're that big.

Screenshot_20230222-153431~2.png

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Iirc Spain is the biggest veg grower in Europe, or near enough is. There's huge tracts of Spain just covered in poly tunnels growing all sorts of veg that is ungrowable in most conditions year round elsewhere.

This crisis suggests that Morocco is following suit (no shock - I'm sure they're part of the EU's 'local neighborhood border country' policies which will give them an in to providing food into Europe).

Another Brexit benefit though is revealed in this field - make it that bit harder for produce to come in and if they have problems at the production end, you'll get it even harder than anyone else.

image.png.b825326efa82cb7dc2114dc892111f09.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Asda Shirley totally out of a lot of vedge and fruit. 

Maybe we can introduce rationing again. A Brexit bonus. We've never had it so good. 

Brexit voters wanted WWII again didn’t they, now they’ve got it. The good old days.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Brexit voters wanted WWII again didn’t they, now they’ve got it. The good old days.

Dried egg and stumpets using gravy browning as tan on their legs.

Damn those Yanks and their nylons and chocolate 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

It's funny watching Brexiteers scramble around for reasons that unprecedently shit situations, not seen between 1945 and 2016 are not the result of the thing they voted for in 2016.

It is, though I’d phrase it differently. Like this vegetable shortage. It’s not because of Brexit, it’s just made worse by Brexit. The high cost of energy due to Russia/Ukraine meant that growers in the uk and Holland have not been heating all their greenhouses, leaving some empty, so fewer local veg.  The bad weather in Morocco and Spain has meant reduced yields. None of that is Brexit. In the UK the tories subsidised botanic garden greenhouse heating costs, but not food growing greenhouse costs.  Stupid government. Yet Brexit also plays a part, due to a shortage of pickers, due to visa issues. It’s also meant that while Morocco can carry on sending produce to central hubs in the EU for onward distribution, they now also have to separately send direct to the uk, with another load of paperwork and admin and costs and it’s not worth it, given they have less produce overall.

So like a huge array of things, Brexit has made it worse and you’re right, Brexiters just deny and ignore and seek to distract from the damage they’ve caused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

It is, though I’d phrase it differently. Like this vegetable shortage. It’s not because of Brexit, it’s just made worse by Brexit. The high cost of energy due to Russia/Ukraine meant that growers in the uk and Holland have not been heating all their greenhouses, leaving some empty, so fewer local veg.  The bad weather in Morocco and Spain has meant reduced yields. None of that is Brexit. In the UK the tories subsidised botanic garden greenhouse heating costs, but not food growing greenhouse costs.  Stupid government. Yet Brexit also plays a part, due to a shortage of pickers, due to visa issues. It’s also meant that while Morocco can carry on sending produce to central hubs in the EU for onward distribution, they now also have to separately send direct to the uk, with another load of paperwork and admin and costs and it’s not worth it, given they have less produce overall.

So like a huge array of things, Brexit has made it worse and you’re right, Brexiters just deny and ignore and seek to distract from the damage they’ve caused.

Great summary.

Putting it like this to my parents all they would hear is then non brexit bits.

We have our sovereignty back and that is worth it for everything else now. 

edit: and to mention their spin on it would be if these things wernt happening brexit would be deemed a success.

Edited by Nicho
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

Spot on. I'd also add the extra context that the companies who run the operations that get stuff out of Morocco and into Europe are Spanish. So to all intents and purposes, it's not even Morocco deciding which markets to prioritise and having to send produce directly to the UK. Morocco are still sending everything to Algeciras, from where the Spanish companies decide which markets to service.

Anecdotally, my experience out this morning was plenty of tomatoes in Sainsbury's and a huge, groaning pile of them at my local green-grocer.

46 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Anecdotally, my experience out this morning was plenty of tomatoes in Sainsbury's and a huge, groaning pile of them at my local green-grocer.

My local farm shop was fully stocked. Locally produced tomatoes too.

Â