The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

19 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Four half slices of toast, or in layman's terms, two slices of toast.

And £7 for a Spoon's breakfast is considered a bargain now?

I've just been to Spoons and it was £5.99 for the all-day breakfast plus a beer.  Not sure where they got that figure from.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've just been to Spoons and it was £5.99 for the all-day breakfast plus a beer.  Not sure where they got that figure from.

The article was from London so maybe London premium.

8006833-D-4124-418-E-ABEF-D8-F3-E78-C956

It looks like the people don’t like our own politicians having the control after all

Guardian

An amazing quote from the former Brexit secretary too

The former Brexit secretary David Davis said the marked shift was probably a result of “a whiny, unpleasant, bitchy row” in parliament over Brexit since late 2017, “which has been completely unproductive”.

He said UK government crises over the coronavirus pandemic would have added to the slump in trust and suggested that since Brexit, the media – he named the Sun, Daily Telegraph, Times and Daily Mail – have stopped “kicking Brussels all the time” as they did in the run-up to the 2016 referendum.

“No one reads about square strawberries or straight bananas any more,” he said.

Only 24% of people said they were “happy” that the UK voted to quit the EU while 49% said they were disappointed.

We need to media to start pointing out pointless shit again to reinforce the EU hate like the good old days.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

8006833-D-4124-418-E-ABEF-D8-F3-E78-C956

It looks like the people don’t like our own politicians having the control after all

Guardian

An amazing quote from the former Brexit secretary too

We need to media to start pointing out pointless shit again to reinforce the EU hate like the good old days.

For all the talk of "remoaners" we once again have a brexiteer whining about it without actually highlighting any benefits we've accrued.  Don't bitch about it. give us examples of the positives!

But you can't can you David because there quite literally aren't any

• Like 1

I've seen a few Tories moaning about "protectionist" policies of The EU and USA who are spending enormous sums of money to attract future car manufacturing and green energy jobs whilst we do nothing but re-hash existing schemes and watch all those companies leave these shores.

Wasn't a protectionist agenda EXACTLY what we were supposed to get?  we were supposed to be able to offer incentives and be creative about how we boost our economy unshackled by EU laws.   Now it seems we can't do that because its unfair and protectionist.  Meanwhile The EU and USA are investing massive sums to rebuild manufacturing capacity lost to China.

What exactly is our strategy?   What is this plan to make our new found freedom work?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What exactly is our strategy?   What is this plan to make our new found freedom work?

Not only are there no upsides of Brexit, there’s clearly no plan either. They keep talking about seizing the opportunities being free from the EU provides without saying what they are. 

Absolutely clueless. 

And the poster boy for the project is free from the stress of it all raking in millions every month doing speeches. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Not only are there no upsides of Brexit, there’s clearly no plan either. They keep talking about seizing the opportunities being free from the EU provides without saying what they are. 

Absolutely clueless. 

And the poster boy for the project is free from the stress of it all raking in millions every month doing speeches. 

I think that's the thing that blows my mind the most. I voted to remain but I did at least expect those on the leave side to have a plan, even if I didn't particularly like it. But they don't! It's like leaving the EU was the the ultimate destination rather than the start of something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villaajax said:

Managed to get hold of an Iceberg Lettuce yesterday! ✊

I seriously hope you did something useful with it like used it as a ball in a park kickabout or maybe took it to a bowling alley...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, picicata said:

I think that's the thing that blows my mind the most. I voted to remain but I did at least expect those on the leave side to have a plan, even if I didn't particularly like it. But they don't! It's like leaving the EU was the the ultimate destination rather than the start of something.

It was ideological, the market will sort the rest out

57 minutes ago, picicata said:

But they don't! It's like leaving the EU was the the ultimate destination rather than the start of something.

This is the whole of it really. In the main they were either just plain racists thinking they would get rid of them funny forriners or they were just agitators wanting who never actually expected to win. 

So there never ever was a plan. The former didn't really care about the economics and the latter weren't really all that serious. 

And now we've got no plan, not that it matter's because any plan they came up with wouldn't do any good. There are no advantages to Brexit.

We've left a massive frictionless market right on our doorstep. It now costs a lot more money and is a lot more inconvenient to trade with that market. 

Anyone else we might want to trade with are further away adding cost, have the same additional costs and inconvenience as our former market now has and will see us as a small partner so won't offer us anything better than we had as part of the EU anyway. 

There is literally no possible upside they can negotiate to. Which was totally obvious from the beginning. 

I also remember the world being a different place 10 years ago when the Brexit argument was being pushed.

We were told that the U.K. should be aligned with emerging markets in Asia who were galloping along with growth rates in the double figures after the horrors of the GFC  

Whilst the U.K. was being ‘constrained’ by the EU whose members (including the U.K.) were barely growing at all and instead were trying to bail out dysfunctional Mediterranean members. It was an institution in crisis and looking inward instead of outward. 

It turns out though that 10 years is a long time in geopolitics. Many of those emerging markets turn out to no be so reliable trade partners when you suddenly depend on them and are actually a bit despotic at times 😬 meanwhile the market the U.K. left behind has stabilised, is more united (except for maybe Hungary 🙄) and is back to being a major force again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I also remember the world being a different place 10 years ago when the Brexit argument was being pushed.

We were told that the U.K. should be aligned with emerging markets in Asia who were galloping along with growth rates in the double figures after the horrors of the GFC  

Whilst the U.K. was being ‘constrained’ by the EU whose members (including the U.K.) were barely growing at all and instead were trying to bail out dysfunctional Mediterranean members. It was an institution in crisis and looking inward instead of outward. 

It turns out though that 10 years is a long time in geopolitics. Many of those emerging markets turn out to no be so reliable trade partners when you suddenly depend on them and are actually a bit despotic at times 😬 meanwhile the market the U.K. left behind has stabilised, is more united (except for maybe Hungary 🙄) and is back to being a major force again. 

Asia you say? 

13% of the world's income, 500m people. Rejoice, we've just signed an amazing trade deal. 

Game changer 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124741

UK-Asia trade deal to boost UK economy by 0.08%

The UK has signed a deal to join a trade pact with 11 Asia and Pacific nations, three years after it officially left the European Union

However, the government's own estimates show being in the bloc will only add 0.08% to the size of the UK's economy.

The trade area covers a market of around 500 million people.

Membership of the CPTPP loosens restrictions on trade between members and reduce tariffs - a form of border tax - on goods.

Together, the 11 members account for about 13% of the world's income and after 21 months of negotiations, the UK has become the first European country to join.

However, the gains for the UK from joining are expected to be modest. The UK already has free trade deals with all of the members except Brunei and Malaysia, some of which were rolled over from its previous membership of the EU.

And even with some gains in trading the government only estimates it will add 0.08% to the size of the economy in 10 years. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), which provides forecasts for the government, has previously said Brexit would reduce the UK's potential economic growth by about 4% in the long term.

13 hours ago, picicata said:

A bit like UKIP. 

And like with UKIP, any political capital from Brexit has completely waned, as it's clear that there is no purpose, and no plan post withdrawal, other that a metaphorical gun to the head of our own economy and human rights.

I don’t think anyone like Farage and Ukip expected what we ended up with. Even after the vote everyone was expecting a soft Brexit, as it was the sensible thing to do at that stage.

How much of this mess is personally down to Boris Johnson? 

That school of thought didn't even hold up at the time, really. I don't think you need the benefit of hindsight of decades of international trade experience to foresee that a deal to trade with your neighbours is likely to yield more value than one with countries several time zones away

• Like 1

Â