Keinan Davis

a-k

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think he’ll have more headed chances from out wide coming in than he would as a central striker...sorry I just can’t agree to that.

How do you know he wouldn't get more chances as we have never tried it until we do we'll never know

That's my point we are doing the same thing with no end result why not try a plan b as they say

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We need a player who knows how to control the ball there. No one is better than Ollie in that aspect. He was a winger anyway. Him and Ramsey can limit the damage of Grealish absence.

No sorry not having it!

Ollie is doing great upfront, so move him out wide.....makes no sense.  You are making the central position much weaker to make the wider position slightly stronger.  Net result is weaker overall.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m no fan of Trez but are you kidding, he’s scored some important goals last season for us.

Davis has been poor in a number of games, so ineffective.

Yes last season he scored, but he played a lot. 
Give Davis a run pf couple of games to judge. 
He was definitely effective whenever he comes, but he isn’t playing at all. 
Without Grealish we need all players that can control the ball.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No sorry not having it!

Ollie is doing great upfront, so move him out wide.....makes no sense.  You are making the central position much weaker to make the wider position slightly stronger.  Net result is weaker overall.

Whats the point if there is no supply? 

2 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

How do you know he wouldn't get more chances as we have never tried it until we do we'll never know

That's my point we are doing the same thing with no end result why not try a plan b as they say

Because we’ve all watched football for years and we know.  We don’t always need to have seen something to know it’s not better.

As I’ve said the problem is midfield not upfront. I understand saying play Ramsey and Nakamba instead of Barkley and McGinn or Sanson instead of one of them for example but focusing on (not the problem) upfront rather than the problem in midfield is bizarre especially moving our scoring striker out wide to make us weaker makes no sense. Especially for a striker that can’t score historically and an even poorer assist record is crazy!

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Whats the point if there is no supply? 

What’s the point if there is supply but no finisher?

Finishing isn’t the problem so why make that go away.  Leave that and fix the supply, don’t destroy the finishing to try and backfill somewhat the supply and then have no finisher.

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes last season he scored, but he played a lot. 
Give Davis a run pf couple of games to judge. 
He was definitely effective whenever he comes, but he isn’t playing at all. 
Without Grealish we need all players that can control the ball.

No he wasn’t!

If he was, do you not think he would get at least some game time?  Obviously Dean and the coaching staff agree with me (thank god 🙏)

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because we’ve all watched football for years and we know.  We don’t always need to have seen something to know it’s not better.

As I’ve said the problem is midfield not upfront. I understand saying play Ramsey and Nakamba instead of Barkley and McGinn or Sanson instead of one of them for example but focusing on (not the problem) upfront rather than the problem in midfield is bizarre especially moving our scoring striker out wide to make us weaker makes no sense. Especially for a striker that can’t score historically and an even poorer assist record is crazy!

Again as I said before I'm not saying start him but if it's not working during the game like today we need a plan b  not swapping like for like player's when the opposition clearly have our number on that front

At least make the opposition think about something different 

1 minute ago, gaffer85 said:

Again as I said before I'm not saying start him but if it's not working during the game like today we need a plan b  not swapping like for like player's when the opposition clearly have our number on that front

At least make the opposition think about something different 

Obviously we arent going to agree.  

For me bringing Davis on makes us much weaker.  

Then moving Ollie out wide makes us further weaker and takes our goal threat out wide and slightly deeper which isn’t good in my eyes.

Plan b can’t be materially worse to be an option and the above would be for me (and it seems Dean agrees seeing as we haven’t done it)

Anyway we don’t agree, enjoy your evening, I’m dropping out of this conversation for tonight because we are going round in circles.

The whole point about making substitutions when you are losing is you need to change the existing patterns of the game, to impact what has become settled, to cause a shift in the status quo (losing).

The evidence before our own eyes says that going from El Ghazi / Watkins / Traoré... to... Trez / Watkins / Traoré achieved nothing.

Would going from El Ghazi / Watkins / Traoré... to... Watkins / Davis / Traoré have had a greater impact (greater than nothing)? Given us a better chance of changing the shape of the game? Of altering the status quo?

Well, it’s all hypothetical, but, personally, I think so. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Davis is just simply not good enough, I don’t  know why this is a conversation. 

I'm probably as guilty as most for bumping the thread but I just don't get our use of him over last 18 months.

He ideally needed to go out on loan at start of 2019 season but instead we kept him around, he played about 3 games and was then injured from November up to March. His run of games post lockdown was most he'd played for us since late 2017.

So we see his flaws in lockdown missing some chances but instead chose to keep him in the summer. He featured in 3 league games up to 1st Jan. Even in last two months he's only come on last 5 minutes at Man. United and Burnley.

It's odd use and now we'll barely get anything for him once we decide to sell.

Looks to me like last January has scared us a bit signing Samatta and Baston so we decided better the devil you know this January but really to me his presence on the bench is just stopping us getting in another Watkins type who can grow with us as Ollie has done last six months so it's frustrating when you get games like today. Any other team in top half would be throwing on a striker with half an hour left like Burnley did putting on Vydra when they were 1-2 down v us a few weeks back but instead we can't even trust him to make an impact in situation like that so he remains an unused sub yet again in game we're losing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm probably as guilty as most for bumping the thread but I just don't get our use of him over last 18 months.

He ideally needed to go out on loan at start of 2019 season but instead we kept him around, he played about 3 games and was then injured from November up to March. His run of games post lockdown was most he'd played for us since late 2017.

So we see his flaws in lockdown missing some chances but instead chose to keep him in the summer. He featured in 3 league games up to 1st Jan. Even in last two months he's only come on last 5 minutes at Man. United and Burnley.

It's odd use and now we'll barely get anything for him once we decide to sell.

Looks to me like last January has scared us a bit signing Samatta and Baston so we decided better the devil you know this January but really to me his presence on the bench is just stopping us getting in another Watkins type who can grow with us as Ollie has done last six months so it's frustrating when you get games like today. Any other team in top half would be throwing on a striker with half an hour left like Burnley did putting on Vydra when they were 1-2 down v us a few weeks back but instead we can't even trust him to make an impact in situation like that so he remains an unused sub yet again in game we're losing.

Why not sign Ollies Successor,Ivan Toney and play them both.

• Like 2

Tbh Id be tempted to give Davis a shot with grealish injured.

Play 

Watkins   Davis     traore

Mcginn sansom Luiz

I think ollie out left in the absence of grealish would be more effective outwide than elghazi or trez or than isolated without service central. Maybe even play traore or Ramsey as the 10 and chuck tree right to add extra cover to Elmore. Then literally just use Davis as a target man or to hold up play to lay it off for chances for the other 5 or to bring them into play.

Edited by Kbdrum88
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Tbh Id be tempted to give Davis a shot with grealish injured.

Play 

Watkins   Davis     traore

Mcginn sansom Luiz

I think ollie out left in the absence of grealish would be more effective outwide than elghazi or trez or than isolated without service central. Maybe even play traore or Ramsey as the 10 and chuck tree right to add extra cover to Elmore. Then literally just use Davis as a target man or to hold up play to lay it off for chances for the other 5 or to bring them into play.

I wouldn't start him, I'd only bring him on in games where the opposition are isolating watkins and dominating their own box, when we jus dilly dally around and occasionally try a hopeful cross which gets systematically cleared. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â