Keinan Davis

a-k

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Oh great. Looks like its fine to say you rate Davis again.

The lad has great potential and I think Smith sees it which is why he's being kept around. Too bad he's never really going to play much as long as Watkins is here.

Not sure it's that.

He rarely comes on when we're 1 up for example even though that's the type of game that suits his skillset.

He also only gets 5-10 minutes in games we're losing. Burnley, Man. United and tonight. Doubt he came on before 75th mark in any of them (certainly not Burnley game).

If DS had huge confidence in him as supersub or different maker he'd have been on with Barkley. Instead just seen as a very last resort option.

I could understand this viewpoint in 2019 when he was still raw and promising but he's coming up to his mid 20s now and Wes will likely be getting on ahead of him when he returns to the bench.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The lad has great potential and I think Smith sees it which is why he's being kept around. Too bad he's never really going to play much as long as Watkins is here.

Kept around because he’s cheap, doesn’t cause trouble, we are waiting to see how Wes comes back and we have better chance of buying quality this summer than last summer.

Smith hasn’t used him much at all this season for a reason even though we only have Ollie.  He’ll be gone in the next few transfer windows either sold or on loan.

The least used first choice back up striker in the league I would guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is a  nice lad but why is he still floating around the match day team?

Why didn't we buy another forward in January and loan him out to a Championship club in January?

He has no future at the club, that is clear. He has had numerous chances but he is not good enough to play at the level we all want Villa to be in.

I can’t remember a game were he was bad at. You can’t expect him scoring from 5-10 mins every three or four games. 
He clearly has a lot to offer. I’m happy with him as our backup striker at the moment. It’s not his fault not being played. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure it's that.

He rarely comes on when we're 1 up for example even though that's the type of game that suits his skillset.

He also only gets 5-10 minutes in games we're losing. Burnley, Man. United and tonight. Doubt he came on before 75th mark in any of them (certainly not Burnley game).

If DS had huge confidence in him as supersub or different maker he'd have been on with Barkley. Instead just seen as a very last resort option.

I could understand this viewpoint in 2019 when he was still raw and promising but he's coming up to his mid 20s now and Wes will likely be getting on ahead of him when he returns to the bench.

To be honest Smith has a problem with Subs, even when we’re losing he react late. It’s always the same. It’s not about who’s coming but it’s more about who starts. 
Once Smith rate a player he hardly change him, as we’ve seen with Barkley for example. 
Watkins would be fantastic on the wing, you definitely need Davis presence at certain games.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Not sure it's that.

He doesn't come on often because Smith tends to sub wingers and midfielders and he's naturally going to favour other wingers and midfielders to sub in for them. This is particularly true when we're winning as Smith prefers to keep the shape of the team. Hence why Davis never plays in these games because he'd have to come on for Watkins who like Mcginn and Grealish Smith never subs off. He's a final resort imo not because he's rated worse than Barkley, Trezeguet etc, but because playing him would require changing the shape of the team to keep Watkins on the pitch.

Put it another way, if we were playing 4-4-2 instead, and we had another starting striker who isn't as unsubbable as Watkins, I think Davis would have played a lot more. 

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest Smith has a problem with Subs, even when we’re losing he react late. It’s always the same. It’s not about who’s coming but it’s more about who starts. 
Once Smith rate a player he hardly change him, as we’ve seen with Barkley for example. 
Watkins would be fantastic on the wing, you definitely need Davis presence at certain games.

But why would you put your goal scoring striker on the wing?  

If we sign a really good striker in the summer, then go for it but when you haven’t got a decent option it’s like saying put Konsa at right back now because Cash is out.  That would then mean our central defence is much weaker.  

The same goes for our central striker.  If making one position stronger makes the overall team weaker then it’s not sensible to do and that’s what we’d be doing moving Watkins out wide.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Kept around because he’s cheap, doesn’t cause trouble, we are waiting to see how Wes comes back and we have better chance of buying quality this summer than last summer.

Smith hasn’t used him much at all this season for a reason even though we only have Ollie.  He’ll be gone in the next few transfer windows either sold or on loan.

The least used first choice back up striker in the league I would guess.

Really wish you would stop post in this thread.

You don't rate him we get it. But the constant bashing of him after every cameo is getting tiresome.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Really wish you would stop post in this thread.

You don't rate him we get it. But the constant bashing of him after every cameo is getting tiresome.

Says the Leeds fan!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But why would you put your goal scoring striker on the wing? 

For the same reason we play a right winger at right back and a CM/CAM at left wing. Players can excell and contribute in different positions. It's a team game, so the greater sum of the parts etc.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

For the same reason we play a right winger at right back and a CM/CAM at left wing. Players can excell and contribute in different positions. It's a team game, so the greater sum of the parts etc.

But you didn’t quote my third paragraph of that same comment which answers this.

The same goes for our central striker.  If making one position stronger makes the overall team weaker then it’s not sensible to do and that’s what we’d be doing moving Watkins out wide.

Not good enough, was never good enough, never will be good enough. Has done well to eek out a career given where he came from and I hope it works out for him in league 1 or scotland or where ever he ends up. Doesn't deserve any criticism because he tries his best but he's just miles off this level. 

• Like 1

I don't think he's good enough, and I think it's embarrassing that we chose to have him as our second choice striker all season. That being said, he didn't do too badly when he came on today. I think it's  unfair to criticise the lad too strongly, he's  trying his best, but  he's not good enough to be a PL striker.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But you didn’t quote my third paragraph of that same comment which answers this.

But it's not necessarily true. You just assume it is.

And today Watkins didn’t get us any pointsor goals, so when that occurs again it's an even bigger reason to get him out wide and Davis up top.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

But it's not necessarily true. You just assume it is.

And today Watkins didn’t get us any pointsor goals, so when that occurs again it's an even bigger reason to get him out wide and Davis up top.

Davis history in Championship and PL2 shows it.

So Watkins doesn’t score in a game proves it? No.  I’m not even going to talk about Davis’ scoring record......ever, at any level and you are commenting on Watkins not scoring tonight! 😂

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think he'll be gone in the summer tbh. I think the only reason he was kept around and given a contract extension was because of Wes being out. If we are serious about progression then upgrades are necessary. It just so happens his place also needs upgrading. Harsh, but life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Davis history in Championship and PL2 shows it.

So Watkins doesn’t score in a game proves it? No.  I’m not even going to talk about Davis’ scoring record......ever, at any level and you are commenting on Watkins not scoring tonight! 😂

Just answering your initial argument.

Â