Keinan Davis

a-k

Many might see this as an OTT reaction, but in games like this (or West ham) I'd bring him on for barkley. When it is clear that we can hardly string 2 passes together there is little point in playing a 10. And watkins wasn't having any joy against the brighton defenders. 

When things ain't working there is little point in being stubborn. 

I know the lad is not a world beater, but he would have allowed us to go direct at them. 

Might not have worked, but keeping barkley on for 75 minutes didn't work either did it? 

• Like 2

Was against the idea of Watkins moving out wide, as why would we want to move him from a position where he's been doing very well. But if we played with him Davis, and Traore as a front three, similar to how Liverpool play with their front three, then It might not be such a bad idea while Grealish is out injured. You'd need to drop Barkley though, and the midfield would have to be more disciplined as an whole.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Start him, with Watkins on the wing. I don’t think it’s a performance issue, Davis wasn’t ever as bad as Barkley or Trez in the last couple of games yet they’re keeping playing. It’s the fear of change that Smith have. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Was against the idea of Watkins moving out wide, as why would we want to move him from a position where he's been doing very well. But if we played with him Davis, and Traore as a front three, similar to how Liverpool play with their front three, then It might not be such a bad idea while Grealish is out injured. You'd need to drop Barkley though, and the midfield would have to be more disciplined as an whole.

Think it's too much of an ask to start him anytime soon given how few minutes he's yet again played this season once we left cup competitions. Surprised it didn't get a run out for last 20 minutes though just to see how it looked v their backline. We were in the game but didn't really create a huge amount after the goal.

8 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Start him, with Watkins on the wing. I don’t think it’s a performance issue, Davis wasn’t ever as bad as Barkley or Trez in the last couple of games yet they’re keeping playing. It’s the fear of change that Smith have. 

Or he’s just not good enough 🤔

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Another game he didn't come on when we were losing.

What was the point of keeping him in January again?

People kept saying we didn't need a striker in the transfer window, even on loan. But we have one reserve striker and the manager won't even bring him on when we're losing, so we basically have nothing in reserve.

Baffling.

21 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

Would have like to see him come today for el ghazi instead of trez and move Watkins wide 

Would have gave a different option

Move our scoring striker out wide when he’s been scoring goals? I just don’t understand or agree why some people think this is a good idea....it’s bizarre!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Move our scoring striker out wide when he’s been scoring goals? I just don’t understand or agree why some people think this is a good idea....it’s bizarre!

The idea behind it is Watkins will still get in the box as well as it comes natural plus he was getting nothing central today all out wide anyway

I didn't say start that way just gives us another option than the usual trez for el ghazi which almost never works

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

The idea behind it is Watkins will still get in the box as well as it comes natural plus he was getting nothing central today all out wide anyway

I didn't say start that way just gives us another option than the usual trez for el ghazi which almost never works

Yeah but if something comes in the box you want Watkins there not Davis don’t you?  Watkins as you say can still get in the box but no where near the same amount from out wide.  When you are 2-0 down, even 2-1 and getting very few chances you want a scoring striker to have that one possible opportunity than a non-scoring striker.

• Like 1

I'd rather play Mings up front and Watkins wide instead of Davis. I bet if Davis played CB he'd score plenty of own goals. It's just written. 

However if we get a penalty and we're up by 3 he has to be bought on to take it.

20 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'd rather play Mings up front and Watkins wide instead of Davis. I bet if Davis played CB he'd score plenty of own goals. It's just written. 

However if we get a penalty and we're up by 3 he has to be bought on to take it.

and he’d put it wide!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

I just think you don’t move out your best player in a position to accommodate another.  If people are desperate for Davis to come on because one of our forward wingers aren’t doing it, leave Watkins centrally and let Davis adapt to out wide.  Yes no pace but he’s on the pitch and can get into the box occasionally and still be an outlet.  I’m not convinced by this but it’s a half way house if the players out wide aren’t doing it.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but if something comes in the box you want Watkins there not Davis don’t you?  Watkins as you say can still get in the box but no where near the same amount from out wide.  When you are 2-0 down, even 2-1 and getting very few chances you want a scoring striker to have that one possible opportunity than a non-scoring striker.

Yes but with Elmo crossing Ollie coming in at the back arguably would get him more chances 

Again it's just another option limited like the others unfortunately 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I'd move Emi to Sweeper and give Heaton a game as well.

YOLO, sod it!

On a serious note though, forgetting goalscoring, at least he has the strength to hold the ball up, and he can pass.

Ollie often drifts wide anyway.

Starting them both up front wouldn't mean they stick in one position up top IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

Â