Keinan Davis

a-k

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It was a turn of phrase, but my point was that Davis was not being talked up as an option for the starting 11 over the summer transfer window. It's only Wesley's performances that are making him an option.

I think that is a fair comment.

I think it depends on what we are trying to say.....are we talking about what we have and how to do our best with it.....or are we talking about how we change it moving forward and what we need.

Personally.....I think we have some very good players and some that are not good enough for loftier aspirations.....we can't keep relying on a few, we NEED more strength, in terms of capability.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

The problem is with Wes and Keinan is......" you change the bowler but don't change to bowling"

They are very similar....and the change is marginal.

We need pace up front to stretch teams and frighten their back four.....We also need a winger who can do the same....who says Trez has pace?

Keinan is a fair bit quicker than Wes from what I've seen. For me his biggest weakness is psychological - he doesn't back himself to score.

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He had a really good cameo today, but failing to tuck away that chance shows why DS has preferred Wesley, for all his faults.

I didn't expect Davis to get to the ball first, so I think he did well to make any sort of chance from it, I don't think Wes would have got anywhere near it. I haven't seen a replay of it though, so I might be wrong.

Just now, TRO said:

Personally.....I think we have some very good players and some that are not good enough for loftier aspirations.....we can't keep relying on a few, we NEED more strength, in terms of capability.

I agree. Think we can divide into three categories:

• Players for the long term - Grealish, Mings, McGinn, maybe a few others like Engels, Nakamba, Douglas, etc.
  • Players good enough for mid table - Targett, Guilbert, AEG, Heaton (because of age) - hope to be proven wrong on a couple of these
  • Players who aren't good enough for current aspirations - don't want to name anyone yet because it's too early, but we all know who's struggling

The key is the middle category of players can be upgraded slowly over time in summer transfer windows.

It's the third category who cause big problems, because they point towards emergency signings / loans in the January market.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poitier said:

He isn't blisteringly quick but he seems a lot better running with the ball than Wes.

You need players with pace like Vardy.....who can not only stretch teams by their blistering pace but their Nous too.....We had one in Gabby, but sadly lacked in the Nous area....we also had Dean Saunders who was quicksilver too, that what we need.

Now, I know folk will say ah but he's special......He was at Fleetwood, doing his thing and before he got famous at Leicester, and was a bloody livewire, way before he hit the headlines.

We need to find one to give the striking roles some diversity..... we are too samey.

I look at Trez and say to myself.....is he better than Bowen?......I'll bet we have players in the lower divisions who could make more of an impact.....He may get better, but right now, i don't see anything that resembles effective.

I know, we have done well, but we have much to do.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

It was a turn of phrase, but my point was that Davis was not being talked up as an option for the starting 11 over the summer transfer window. It's only Wesley's performances that are making him an option.

Coupled with Davis looking good when he's come on. That is the driver. 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Coupled with Davis looking good when he's come on. That is the driver. 

If we'd signed two strikers in the summer, Davis wouldn't even be in the reckoning, and would probably be out on loan at a Championship side with 3 goals in 14 games.

(Edit: That's not to say I don't fancy him for a start, or for coming on earlier for Wesley. But people are being too harsh on Wesley and too optimistic about Davis. In all honesty, I doubt either of them will be regular starters in 12 months.)

Edited by KentVillan

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He had a really good cameo today, but failing to tuck away that chance shows why DS has preferred Wesley, for all his faults.

Holding that against him is ridiculously harsh. He did well to even reach it, and by that point Ederson was about a yard away!

19 hours ago, poitier said:

He isn't blisteringly quick but he seems a lot better running with the ball than Wes.

I don't think I have actually seen Wes run with the ball at his feet! Normally dispossessed or a sideways pass.

Edited by zab6359

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Holding that against him is ridiculously harsh. He did well to even reach it, and by that point Ederson was about a yard away!

He just hit the ball with no real idea how to beat the keeper. Hit and hope. He just snatches at chances which is why his finishing is so poor. Think of some of our past strikers like Darren Bent for example. He would have just slid it under the rushing keeper. I would have backed Wes to finish that too, but the problem is I wouldn't have backed him to get there first.

• Like 1

If he can do what he has done in his cameo's so far i quite frankly don't care if he's not scoring.

It will benefit us more than Wesley scoring a tap in every 3 games.

The way Keinan plays he bring other players into play and is a good target man.

• Like 2

Â