Keinan Davis

a-k

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He just hit the ball with no real idea how to beat the keeper. Hit and hope. He just snatches at chances which is why his finishing is so poor. Think of some of our past strikers like Darren Bent for example. He would have just slid it under the rushing keeper. I would have backed Wes to finish that too, but the problem is I wouldn't have backed him to get there first.

Davis is like an anti-finisher to me, just doesn't appear to know what to do in front of goal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Davis is like an anti-finisher to me, just doesn't appear to know what to do in front of goal.

But his other attributes will create space and scoring opportunities for other players.

His all round game will benefit the team more than Wesley in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He just hit the ball with no real idea how to beat the keeper. Hit and hope. He just snatches at chances which is why his finishing is so poor. Think of some of our past strikers like Darren Bent for example. He would have just slid it under the rushing keeper. I would have backed Wes to finish that too, but the problem is I wouldn't have backed him to get there first.

Nah can't agree with that. He was off balance in order to get to it, with the keeper in his face.

I think Hourihane scores more frequently with Davis in the team. Mainly thinking cup games and the first half of 2017/18 season 

Adomah was as well due to space he was creating

Edited by Zatman

18 hours ago, Enda said:

Should start against Wolves.

I think he will, it's his competition. If he has a good game I think he could start against Liverpool. 

Davis is smaller physically than Wesley, but he's much more a handful for defenders to deal with. But he hasn't yet shown that he's capable of scoring enough goals to justify putting him in the team in the Premier League. 

Wesley's hot and cold performances might give Keinan a chance. He's had to wait a long time for an opportunity to play, he'll be desperate to take it.

Kienan almost always hits the target, the problem with his finishing is intelligence. Maybe it's nerves., or maybe he just lacks that sharpness of mind. If I was coaching him I would drill into him shoot towards the opposite corner as he has a habit of going to the near post.

• Like 2

He hasn't had much of a go in a Smith first team has he? 10/20 minutes at the end of games that are mostly already dead.

Starts v Wolves in the cup and Liverpool for me. See how he looks in one "easier" game and one tough one. My money would be on him contributing more in the tough one than Wes, but he needs to look a threat in the easier one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Kienan almost always hits the target, the problem with his finishing is intelligence. Maybe it's nerves., or maybe he just lacks that sharpness of mind. If I was coaching him I would drill into him shoot towards the opposite corner as he has a habit of going to the near post.

I think its that.

or a few other things that relate to it , like belief or determination....its hard to pin point it, just like Hogan.

Edited by TRO

At least he is getting into scoring positions.

I'd be more worried if he didn't.

Good finishers take it early with a low backlift and without telegraphing which corner they're aiming for. They have the calmness of mind to be aware of what the keeper is doing, and will take advantage if the keeper has his angles wrong or has left his legs open. That ability to execute under pressure is something that comes naturally, and it's why most decent strikers show goalscoring ability from a young age. 

Keinan does what most of us do when we're through on goal in a 5-a-side game - bangs it as hard as he can in the general direction of the goal with a huge swing of his left peg. Unless you're Alan Shearer, that kind of finish usually plants the ball straight down the keeper's throat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The problem is it seems like he focuses more on hitting the target than beating the keeper which is what good finishers do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Good finishers take it early with a low backlift and without telegraphing which corner they're aiming for. They have the calmness of mind to be aware of what the keeper is doing, and will take advantage if the keeper has his angles wrong or has left his legs open. That ability to execute under pressure is something that comes naturally, and it's why most decent strikers show goalscoring ability from a young age. 

Keinan does what most of us do when we're through on goal in a 5-a-side game - bangs it as hard as he can in the general direction of the goal with a huge swing of his left peg. Unless you're Alan Shearer, that kind of finish usually plants the ball straight down the keeper's throat.

Speak for yourself, I more often than not just casually side-foot it with power into bottom corner. Easy. 😉.

Back to Keinan, he definitely isn't a "natural" finisher but as I have said before he has a lot of other attributes to his game.

I would play him Wednesday and if he performs he stays in for Liverpool. Simples. 👍

• Like 1

Once he scores one he will score more. He looks a right handful to defend against , very strong and powerful and always seems to rattle whoever he's pitted against.

My guess is he will become a good premier League striker , but he needs game time so if he's not scoring by the time we get chance to sign a new striker then I would loan him out.......with a condition he plays X amount of games 

• Like 1

He looks better to me already.....He looks better than he did 12 months ago in my view.

needs to be more proactive and work on directing his headers better.

Its a tough call due to other pressures, but they only learn the next phase in the first team.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

He looks better to me already.....He looks better than he did 12 months ago in my view.

Its a tough call due to other pressures, but they only learn the next phase in the first team.

I've brought this up a lot, but Harry Kane didn't look like a great goalscorer during his loan spells.

He really didn't hit off until the age of 22-23.

Players often develop at a different pace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I've brought this up a lot, but Harry Kane didn't look like a great goalscorer during his loan spells.

He really didn't hit off until the age of 22-23.

Players often develop at a different pace.

They do.....David Platt, was late.

Its frustrating because 2 fine athletes Wes and Keinan and both not great in the air......but they are early 20's still much to learn and develop.

I would like to see improvements in their aerial abilities as a priority.....it would take the pressure off the other development area's and buy them some time.

I think they both have varying degrees of potential and would like to see them stay with us......problem is we need goals now.

Â