Pre-Match Thread

John

It will be interesting to see how Norwich approach this.

They are in a really poor run of form and look to be the team that is the get out of jail free card for one of the North east two as Bournemouth and Swansea are starting to pull away.

Their away form is woeful, I believe they've lost 7 of their last 8 league away games with the only win being amusingly at Old Traford. In recent times they've lost 3-0 at Bournemouth, Spurs and 3-1 at Stoke.

Of course that means little playing against us but you've got to think they'll come and go all out for the win as this seems to me their best chance of an away win for the rest of the season and even a draw will feel like dropped points to them.

So I predict an open game and lots of space for us to work with.

0-0 it is. :)

Edited by VillaChris

It will be interesting to see how Norwich approach this.

They are in a really poor run of form and look to be the team that is the get out of jail free card for one of the North east two as Bournemouth and Swansea are starting to pull away.

Their away form is woeful, I believe they've lost 7 of their last 8 league away games with the only win being amusingly at Old Traford. In recent times they've lost 3-0 at Bournemouth, Spurs and 3-1 at Stoke.

Of course that means little playing against us but you've got to think they'll come and go all out for the win as this seems to me their best chance of an away win for the rest of the season and even a draw will feel like dropped points to them.

So I predict an open game and lots of space for us to work with.

0-0 it is. [emoji4]

They'll play for the draw

Do you think that's good enough for them in the long run though? If Newcastle win by a few goals they drop into the bottom 3 with a draw.

For me yes Norwich have signed a couple of strikers but it's largely the same squad they had 2 years ago that went down and that gets found out over 38 games even though they've been pretty spirited in the first half of the season.

They do have the knack doing of winning the six pointers. Beat Sunderland, Bournemouth, Swansea and us this season.

Training suggestion to prepare for Norwich, no charge Remi. 

To build confidence and muscle memory make every player kick the ball into an empty net for four hours without stopping, working from 6 yards to more challenging distances of 12 and 18 yards.  Gabby and Garna may need extra time if they keep missing, but do not shout at them. In fact, to make it more real everyone should cheer when the ball goes in to build spirit.  In stage 2 spend 4 hours making them all charge into the box towards the goal - the aim here is to remind them they are allowed to move and enter the box.  Stage 3 is more advanced, but try to get them to run into the box and kick the ball into the net at the same time. Be patient with them Remi, this one may take a few goes.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, useless said:

If we win this we have a great chance of survival. A must win game and the biggest for the club since the Cup Final. Total recovery is possible.

No we haven't.

Listen, I've not given up hope even though I acknowledge the chances of us turning it around are very very slim. I do recognise that we have A chance.

But in no way, no way whatsoever, regardless of what happens on Saturday, will we have a "great chance" of staying up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

0-3 Norwich. Jerome, Hoolahan and Naismith to score

Loves playing against us.  Must be from when we almost but didn't sign him.

There is a slight possibility Garde may use one of the young strikers, probably Sellars, as Hepburn-Murphy is injured.

But he will probably go with the same team as last time, utilising our `recognised strikers', and really you cannot blame him for approaching this game with an element of caution for the first 60 minutes.

I thought on Tuesday that Gabby's hold up play was not too bad considering the defensive shape we were forced to play.  No threat on goal obviously, but at least he was in the game.  We really have to have Sellars on the bench at the very least and give him 30mins.  Goals aren't coming from anywhere else, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Seriously, we should expect a win tomorrow.

Norwich are possibly the only side in the premier league with a worse squad than us and the manager and players owe the fans big time to repay for the abysmal performance at Carrow Road.

If we don't win tomorrow it will be a new low.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No we haven't.

Listen, I've not given up hope even though I acknowledge the chances of us turning it around are very very slim. I do recognise that we have A chance.

But in no way, no way whatsoever, regardless of what happens on Saturday, will we have a "great chance" of staying up.

This is where I'm at. 

Though this REALLY is it now for me. Fail to beat Norwich and it's Liverpool next before a trip to Stoke then back home to Everton. Fail to win tomorrow and I don't see us having enough momentum going into those games to get anything, never mind enough. If we manage a win tomorrow those are, in reality, three bang average sides. Certainly no better than Palace, Leicester, West Ham etc. Three sides we played well against with 11 men and should have perhaps gotten more than we did. It's not as worrying a period as it might seem when you apply logic and a bit of form. 

Win tomorrow and the last 6 reads; Won 2 Drawn 2 Lost 2. Some might even hypothesise we've been unlucky in that period. Mid-table form going in to a mid table run of games?

So yeah, tomorrow is huge.