Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

He is talking about Balance Sheet, not P&L. So he's saying that Villa have the strongest assets in the Championship. Which is probably true... the stadium, the training facilities, no real debt except some owed to the owner. Also intangible assets like a large fan base and potential marketability compared to other championship clubs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Hollis says we will have the strongest balance sheet of any team in the championship - this season's accounts must not be too bad - last time he made a statement about money, he was right. Bodes well.

Then we spend about a fiver in the summer window after everybody has bought their season tickets and normal service is resumed

• Like 1

From my point of view, he seems to be grasping it rather well.  He's apparently cleared out those that have failed us and set up a structure that (hopefully) promises more reasons to be cheerful. As I said in the "Football Board" thread, only time will tell, but it looks promising. 

Edited by trekka

If anything, he seems to be giving some support to the fact that having football men isn't the be all and end all.

He's come in, with no previous relationships, no mates in the industry to keep happy, and been able to take a fresh, impartial look at what needs to be done.

But still..."iron fist in a very generous velvet glove", **** hell, Steve, 

so first stage is almost complete.

second stage, having a manager who can be trusted with the chequebook who will sign players to get us to winning ways again

third stage, getting money out of lerner to buy them players

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd like to formally retract my comment that he seemed like a bellend on his first day in the job.

Davkaus, you're too hard on yourself.  He DID seem like a bellend on his first day.  He has just gone up from there. (although TBF, a)it's not hard to go up from there and b)he's gone quite a long way up.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lp_villa830 said:

It's mainly been took out of his hands. Bar Krulak being back I doubt he has much to do with the boards make up since hiring Hollis. 

I'd still imagine that he's some involvement as to who sits on the board though. I doubt that he's given Hollis free reign given he's a brand new appointment. Unless he doesn't have a say anymore. Which would then back up my (albeit highly optimistic) point?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/502029/Aston-VIlla-chairman-Steve-Hollis-never-be-Randy-Lerner-s-lap-dog-Premier-League-Tom-Fox

The local businessman was only brought in two months ago and has already overseen massive changes at the Premier League’s bottom side.

The crisis club’s Sporting Director Hendrik Almstadt has gone just nine months after arriving from Arsenal and Chief Executive Tom Fox has also said goodbye.

More changes are in the offing and Hollis said American tycoon Lerner was in no doubt from the word go that he could bite as well as bark.

Villa have been in freefall for five years and with relegation looking certain, Lerner decided enough was enough and called on Hollis after meeting him in the States.

“I was very clear when I took the chair,” said Hollis I said. “If you want some poodle who is just going to be your mouthpiece then you’ve got the wrong bloke, because I’m not doing that.”

Now it remains to be seen just where current boss Remi Garde figures in the new board’s vision for the future.

The French manager will have close dialogue with the new regime with Hollis saying: “I’m not going to pre-empt what comes out of that.

“But Remi is one of the top managers in Europe. He’s joined an organisation that needs fixing and it’s one of the toughest jobs in the Premier League.”

But, Hollis revealed that while he totally understood the frustration of supporters, Lerner’s love for the club should not be under-estimated despite him being desperate to sell.

Hollis said: “He is passionate about Aston Villa. It’s down to a change in his personal circumstances that he just can’t physically be around the club. He has put a huge amount of emotional energy and cash into it.”

Villa travel to Swansea tomorrow with Garde still clinging to the hope that his men can somehow muster a miracle escape from relegation.

“I was very clear when I took the chair,” said Hollis I said. “If you want some poodle who is just going to be your mouthpiece then you’ve got the wrong bloke, because I’m not doing that.”

OK, Mr "nobody's poodle". What's the verdict in Lerner's stewardship of the club?

Hollis revealed that while he totally understood the frustration of supporters, Lerner’s love for the club should not be under-estimated despite him being desperate to sell.

Hollis said: “He is passionate about Aston Villa. It’s down to a change in his personal circumstances that he just can’t physically be around the club. He has put a huge amount of emotional energy and cash into it.”

Well, hello Mr Poodle! No reason yet to regard you as anything but the latest in a long line of bullshitters.

"Remi is one of the top managers in Europe.

And if you really believe that, your knowledge of European football seems a bit lacking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

OK, Mr "nobody's poodle". What's the verdict in Lerner's stewardship of the club?

Well, hello Mr Poodle! No reason yet to regard you as anything but the latest in a long line of bullshitters.

And if you really believe that, your knowledge of European football seems a bit lacking.

You can't seriously expect a new hire to say anything remotely sounding like "my new boss is an ignorant nob with no passion for this club and couldn't care less what happens as long as he stops losing money on it."

I'm pretty confident we'd need to be searching a new chairman in short order... again.  I think there's a gulf between being a bullshitter and enough savvy to avoid undercutting the owner and the club.  Let's not be too harsh on the man for not being an idiot.  I know, a Villa leader who isn't an idiot can seem disorienting.... :) 

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

How can you call him a poodle when he's got rid of Fox and Almstadt and hired a footballing board in his first few acts as Chairman? Is it because he defends Lerner a bit? He actually explains Lerner wants to sell as he can't be here because of a change in personal issues. I'm sure Lerner is still passionate about the club of not for the love of the club for the fact he's bankrolling us. Now I'm not defending Lerner as him having to bankroll us is mainly his ill judged decisions previously coming back to bite him but to have a go at Holls who so far seems to be doing a decent job is very petty to say the least. 

• Like 3

It's the same shit though. A new approach with new people but still praising Lerner. We've basically just repeated that a few times and it's sending us down. 

Those comments have ruined any positive things he's done for me. That and Krulak on board just confirm to me that's its going to be the same shit with just different people **** up under the word removed on an owner. 

And Hollis can get **** if he's going to speak to us like that. No different to the shit Faulkner and fox have said. I thought this was going to be different. Is it ****. 

It's the same shit though. A new approach with new people but still praising Lerner. We've basically just repeated that a few times and it's sending us down. 

Those comments have ruined any positive things he's done for me. That and Krulak on board just confirm to me that's its going to be the same shit with just different people **** up under the word removed on an owner. 

And Hollis can get **** if he's going to speak to us like that. No different to the shit Faulkner and fox have said. I thought this was going to be different. Is it ****. 

He's hardly gonna tell his boss to **** off out of Villa now is he. He's just trying to keep the positivity as high as possible (which isn't really much).

59 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

He's hardly gonna tell his boss to **** off out of Villa now is he. He's just trying to keep the positivity as high as possible (which isn't really much).

He doesn't have to say anything. He doesn't have to talk to us like we're idiots. That's what Tom Fox and Faulkner did. The fact he's doing the same ruins the idea for me that things will be different 

Â