Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 minute ago, Pilchard said:

I'm not. It's a shite football team, life is more important.

One man's panic is another man's burying their head in the sand. 

I literally woke up this morning and said to myself "forget football".

• Like 1

Gollini

?        Elphick  ?  Amavi

Westwood  ?  ?

Ayew      McCormack

?

Bench - Bunn, Baker, Tisbola, Grealish, Green, Traore, Gestede 

Squad, Steer, Hutton, Okore, Toner, Cissoko, Gardner, Lyden, Bacuna, Hepburn-Murphy

Richards, Lescott, Veretout, Gabby, Kozak can go

I'm not sure who to suggest as the defenders, but Jedinak or Ledley, Ravel and Bamford would really transform midfield/attack.  

8 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

We are far more away from three signings to even being even even mid table. We haven't won in six months for goodness sake.

We are not far more than 3 signings from being mid-table. We'll be mid-table with what we have.

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I literally woke up this morning and said to myself "forget football".

Didn't quite work as you ended up on here slagging off other fans in th Tony thread at 9.45

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 1

Anyone else wondering whether that Diawara fella we supposedly bid 14m for was watching that game think naaaah.

You would only need to take one look at Okores face before thinking I'm not sure this move is going to further my career in the way my agent is telling me.

I guess we have to hope in the two great eternal truths which are the endless stupidity of footballers and the power of money to make people take bad decisions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

We need a good RB as Hutton, Richards & Bacuna are not good enough. We need a good CB to partner Elphick as Baker, Okore and Richards are not good enough. We need a holding midfielder and an attacking midfielder as none of the midfielders we have is good enough. We need a striker to partner McCormack as Gestede is not good enough.

Basically we need half a team!

I think Baker is fine at this level. He was very good against Wednesday and was fine against last night. If we're making snap judgments, Amavi is more of a worry than Baker

13 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

You are dreaming with that.

The new goalkeeper is dodgy. We don't have a decent right back. We need a central defender, midfielder who can tackle, midfielder who can create and another striker.  That's five before we consider injuries to players which would mean the knobheads return to the team.

Its not just the players - we play a formation that has failed us for five years now but this year stretched it so that full backs have no protection and the central midfield look even more lost.

We are far more away from three signings to even being even even mid table. We haven't won in six months for goodness sake.

Exactly how I feel. 

With this current team I think we would just about avoid relegation. We need 7/8 players to get anywhere near promotion. 

We're absolutely dreadful.

• Like 1

We created chances our last 2 games enough to win both so for me we need to prioritise defence. That's means a new RB a new LCB and a new defensive midfielder who can kick a few players. Our current bunch are too nice. We have 3 weeks to do a lot of work. Thankfully we get to use the loan window so all won't be lost if we haven't got 5/6 players in. The DR will have realised last year wasn't a fluke and we have a lot of crap players without the bottle required to play for us. 

Does James Chester play left side? Any idea on a right back? 

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Bit early to be saying the new GK is dodgy isn't it? Looked very good apart from that one mistake. These things happen.

I can understand that and do think I'm being slightly harsh - but considering the crap we had to put up with with Bunn and Guzan last year, I felt we needed to go down a different path than the 'young and potential' one for a goalkeeper. We needed a dependable one who we could trust on.

its not just one mistake, too. He made another cock-up vs Wednesday that our defence actually coped and defended rather well (:blink::blink::blink:) and was at fault for 'Boros equaliser that caused the usual defence meltdown in the friendly. The result of that wasn't important, but mistakes are mistakes.

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

We are not far more than 3 signings from being mid-table. We'll be mid-table with what we have.

Well I wish I had your trust and optimism. I just can't see how a tam that hasn't won in six months, that collapses as soon as anyone looks at trying to score a goal against us is going to manage the heights of midtable.

One shot on target against us yesterday. And we still managed to let in three goals. The defence should have been ripped apart and rebuilt over the summer.

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I disagree. I think as a team we will create chances but as things stand we are relegation fodder. There is no getting away from how powder puff our central midfielders and right back are. 

I have faith we will sign some players that will improve us but as things stand I think we're in trouble. There is no getting away from the fact that we have lost nearly every game in the last 12 months. Our squad is full of players who only know how to lose. 

Judging by the look on RDM and SC's faces last night, I think they now realise how shit this bunch of players really is.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Exactly how I feel. 

With this current team I think we would just about avoid relegation. We need 7/8 players to get anywhere near promotion. 

We're absolutely dreadful.

Don't agree.  Second half against Wednesday we were pretty good.  Need 3-4 quality players and we'll be in the promotion mix. 

15 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

You are dreaming with that.

The new goalkeeper is dodgy. We don't have a decent right back. We need a central defender, midfielder who can tackle, midfielder who can create and another striker.  That's five before we consider injuries to players which would mean the knobheads return to the team.

Its not just the players - we play a formation that has failed us for five years now but this year stretched it so that full backs have no protection and the central midfield look even more lost.

The keeper is dodgy? Based on what? one kick? He played well in his only competitive game until a sloppy kick caused a goal but a kick that a decent defence would've covered for him. As for the rest we've all been saying the positions named need sorting. The formation thing is wrong though we've played 442 the last 2 games but we don't have a strong enough CM 2 to do that we'd be better suited playing the 433 we've played for the last few years with the current squad. It's a big 3 weeks coming up but also 2 massive home games. A big win on Saturday will ease a few fears. 6 points before we play Derby will be great for confidence in a team that's shot of it. 

Just now, Pilchard said:

Well I wish I had your trust and optimism. I just can't see how a tam that hasn't won in six months, that collapses as soon as anyone looks at trying to score a goal against us is going to manage the heights of midtable.

One shot on target against us yesterday. And we still managed to let in three goals. The defence should have been ripped apart and rebuilt over the summer.

Because we're no longer in the Premier League? In the past 6 months we've played 3 games against Championship sides. We beat Norwich, drew with Newcastle and lost to Sheffield Wednesday. I don't think I'd be too far wide of the mark to suggest that they'll be 3 sides near the top of the table too.

Pretty sure the likes of Okore/Richards won't be starting against Championship sides, like last night.

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Elphick for okore, new rb, jedinak in the middle and we would have cruised last nights game. Thank goodness that happened when it did, fully expect tony to bid the extra mill here and there to get this squad purged. As a business man he would have been foolish to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but now that he has established that the baby is huuuugly, and bad at football, i expect tony to throw it in the microwave and cook it at max power!

Never a truer word written.  I'm glad about last nights result.  Doesnt paper over the cracks and Tony will make the team stronger because of what he saw before the end of August.

• Like 1

There is a massive issue of mental state that needs to be addressed as a priority. We have had players that we bought that many top clubs wanted.  They have talent. Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew, Richards, Gil, Adama, Grealish, Sanchez etc. All, apart from Amavi, have only shown flashes and flattered to deceive. How can this be? I would bet that if they went to other more stable clubs they would have probably prospered.

• Like 1