Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I wouldn't want Morrison in our position not based on ability purely attitude.

He has a bad wrap off the field... but on it.. from what i have seen... he has always performed?

1 hour ago, Chewie said:

I genuinely feel sorry for the bloke. Imagine how utterly deflating tonight must have been after all that money he has spent and the effort he is going to about being positive in regards to rebuilding. It's like opening your shiney Xmas present, expecting a Super Nintedo and getting a ZX Spectrum instead (Thx Mum).

I agree, I think he thought this would all be solved over preseason and we would come out up and running. I think a lot of us realised that wasn't going to be the case unfortunately, there are so many players low on confidence and simply not good enough, it's going to take time to filter these players out and get a good squad again. Hopefully he will see that. 

This might be an odd positive, but at least Xia can now see how badly we do need quality signings and a full rebuild. He has now tasted what we have been tasting for a few years and hopefully this encourages him to do something about it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

From our opening two competitive matches it's clear to me we need the following:

Right back - Hutton cannot be first choice and Richards should never be picked again

Centre back - Elphick and Baker have been pretty good, tonight showed that Okore and Richards are hopeless

Centre Midfielder (x2) - Westwood, Tshibola and Lyden are ok, nothing more and neither look like they can 'own' the middle of the pitch. Gardner is sadly all hype and Veretout is going.

Attacking Midfielder (x2) - Grealish should be the answer but isn't, Green is a bright prospect and Bacuna is to inconsistent. We need a player to unlock defences with a bit of guile.

Striker (x2) - I like McCormack and Ayew but Gestede is truly awful and Kozak again unfancied. Gabby is being shown the exit door.

I make that an improbable 8 players to come in.

Priority for me is a midfield destroyer who can boss the centre of the park and retain possession.

Agree with all of that. Your list is also how i would view the order of priority. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I hope to god any potential signings didn't watch that. Who would want to join us, honestly?

Its just a collection of losers kicking the ball around.

My god we're in trouble.

I just hope and think this will encourage him to splash the cash! Will probably have to sell new players on becoming part of an overhaul and first team regulars! Defended alot of them up to npw but it is truly shite. We definitely need 4 - 6 players minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Agree with all of that. Your list is also how i would view the order of priority. 

Almost for me but I would put midfield first as the opposition almost skip to our 18 yard box with nobody getting in their way.  Part of me almost feels sorry for the defenders because they never get a breather and because they are always under pressure they make mistakes, if they got a breather or back up I think some of the issues would go away.  I agree things need to change back there but I think defending from the midfield first might help

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

From our opening two competitive matches it's clear to me we need the following:

Right back - Hutton cannot be first choice and Richards should never be picked again

Centre back - Elphick and Baker have been pretty good, tonight showed that Okore and Richards are hopeless

Centre Midfielder (x2) - Westwood, Tshibola and Lyden are ok, nothing more and neither look like they can 'own' the middle of the pitch. Gardner is sadly all hype and Veretout is going.

Attacking Midfielder (x2) - Grealish should be the answer but isn't, Green is a bright prospect and Bacuna is to inconsistent. We need a player to unlock defences with a bit of guile.

Striker (x2) - I like McCormack and Ayew but Gestede is truly awful and Kozak again unfancied. Gabby is being shown the exit door.

I make that an improbable 8 players to come in.

Priority for me is a midfield destroyer who can boss the centre of the park and retain possession.

I agree with RB, CB and CM, but I don't think we need 4 more attacking options. I do think the centre of midfield and the defense being so poor is hurting us going forward. When the CMs actually get a hold of the game - like early tonight and 2nd half against Wednesday - we create a lot of chances. When they don't, we're constantly on the back foot. You could sign Messi and Ronaldo and they'd struggle if we never have the ball.

• Like 1

Elphick for okore, new rb, jedinak in the middle and we would have cruised last nights game. Thank goodness that happened when it did, fully expect tony to bid the extra mill here and there to get this squad purged. As a business man he would have been foolish to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but now that he has established that the baby is huuuugly, and bad at football, i expect tony to throw it in the microwave and cook it at max power!

• Like 2

Di Matteo said something similar to the Dr before the game in an interview. I think he said that he was still looking at the squad and players would be playing for a place in the team (hence the rotation). I'm not too fussed over being out of the LC anyway as promotion needs to be our priority. My main concern was the complete lack of fight shown in the second half and the fact that we still have some awful players.

As others have stated though, it's lucky this has happened now. There is still time to rectify the situation. I'm under no illusions that our issues will go away overnight but I'm sure they are working hard behind the scenes to get the players in that we need. I fully expect a bumpy few months with such heavy changes to the squad and it could take a while for new players to gel. I refuse to write us off for promotion at the moment though. It will be tough but there is a long way to go...

• Like 3

I posted this in the RDM thread:

People gave RDM kudos for not giving Petrov a contract for sentimental reasons. I wanted him to be part of the squad because he is a mature calm influence and I think tonight was exactly the sort of game that having Petrov around for would have paid dividends.

There are no leaders in this squad (apart from possibly Elphick) and this team hasn't won a game in 6 months. The fortunes of AVFC are not going to improve because we are one tier lower in English football. The fortunes of AVFC are only going to change with major personnel changes.

We need a leader in the middle of the park. I think that McCormack can be leader up front. We need another leader in defense along side Elphick - either a RB or another CB.

Edit - It's embarrassing to admit and it was poorly timed but F'kin Tim Sherwood (charlatan) was right when he called them losers with a losing mentality

Edited by TheAuthority
Sherwood bit added

1 minute ago, Dirtysanchez said:

This thread is bloody depressing 

This whole Football Club is depressing at the moment. Last night's defeat has really got to me, so disappointed and angry with it. I booked tickets for the Rotherham game last night, just before kick off, #fail.

9 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I'm a teacher, you get the students you do and judged on your results. If you dismiss human nature from your students then they won't achieve. I believe he will get better - can't get any worse right....

Admirable sentiment and ultimately the only way you can do your job, but Donald Trump.