Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I just feel totally deflated today, I was starting to feel hopeful again with McCormack's signing and the others like Tshi. I know it was just the league cup but I really thought that we'd win and that would be the start of the revival, and things would start looking rosier. 

I hope that 3 or 4 more signings makes all the difference, but if it doesn't... We're boned. 

I'm going to VP on Saturday and if we go a goal down I can imagine the atmosphere being so bad. Some fan's patience is short at the best of times, never mind if Richards is clogging around flapping his arms up and down again. 

I want to be optimistic but I feel like I'm setting myself up for more disappointment. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

First team wise nothing has changed transfer wise we still need what we needed yesterday to be able to field a competative 11. namely RB, 2x CM, 2x wingers (not Grealish down the left, Ayew down the left, not Bacuna....ever, actual bloody right and left sided midfielders for McGrath's sake) and a striker that isnt whatever Gestede is supposed to be.
As for the squad? well.

Gollini
 ?????? - Elphick - Baker - Amavi
?????? - ?????? - ?????? - ??????
               Ayew - McCormack

back up of

Steer
   ?????? - ?????? - Toner - ??????
Traore - Westwood - Tshibola - Grealish
                  ?????? - ??????

I just do not care about the rest of them. Would rather see Lyden, Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Toner and the like given a chance. If they are young and going to make mistakes then so be it. Id rather they had the excuse of youth and given the chance to learn from their mistakes than watch the rest of them. Lets not delude ourselves. Richards, Hutton, Cissokho, Gabby, Gestede and Bacuna are just appalling footballers. It is a source of embarrasment to me that they are associated with our once great club. Okore, Gardner, Kozak and Veretout need to go for various reasons, Lescott is some sort of parody of his former self. And a word removed. Bunn, While escaping criticism for last night, has had plenty of chances and shown little. If hes good for moral or learning the young uns with the coaches then great. But if not he's not going to be competition for anyones place is he. Gradual change would have been nice but we dont have that luxury. Not signing a whole new 11 is a bad idea because it might upset the balance, take a while to gel. Well that's not an argument that can be used here unfortunately in our case. Theres nothing to want continuity in. 

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

There is a massive issue of mental state that needs to be addressed as a priority. We have had players that we bought that many top clubs wanted.  They have talent. Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew, Richards, Gil, Adama, Grealish, Sanchez etc. All, apart from Amavi, have only shown flashes and flattered to deceive. How can this be? I would bet that if they went to other more stable clubs they would have probably prospered.

I must have got up on the right side of the bed this morning, im agreeing with everyone.  With the money we paid i dont think all our players are bad footballer.  What i think we do have is a collection of individuals who when joined together is a perfect storm on how bad a team can be.  Think the new signings we have made in the likes of Elphick will slowly start to fix that massive imbalance.

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

It is an odd one Omar as its lots of different sets of players and lots of different managers/coaches. Only constant is the badge really. 

I think fresh blood and getting rid of as much of the tainted material (Richards, Hutton etc) as you can.

8 minutes ago, omariqy said:

There is a massive issue of mental state that needs to be addressed as a priority. We have had players that we bought that many top clubs wanted.  They have talent. Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew, Richards, Gil, Adama, Grealish, Sanchez etc. All, apart from Amavi, have only shown flashes and flattered to deceive. How can this be? I would bet that if they went to other more stable clubs they would have probably prospered.

Agree with this. Think this is the issue, not their ability. 

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Only those that deserve it mr prickly. 

I'd say that people should be allowed to make their opinions on a messageboard without fear of being abused or patronized with 'better fan that you' turds, but hey I'm old fashioned. I also think the measure of a football team should be whether they win games or not, and not whether you like the owner or not.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

Just now, Pilchard said:

I'd say that people should be allowed to make their opinions on a messageboard without fear of being abused or patronized with 'better fan that you' turds, but hey I'm old fashioned. I also think the measure of a football team should be whether they win games or not, and not whether you like the owner or not.

Dont take it personally.

32 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

If he only used a partial quote without the rest of the statement, that's taking it out of context. 

well, no, it isn't, it's just using a partial quote from your original statement. By leaving out the rest of it the meaning or our ability to interpret it wasn't changed, The message that you dont think getting rid of Richards or Okore is the prudent option still stands it's just that he left out your reasoning.

Last night was woeful (well, the second half was... which coincided with Gestede and Hutton coming on) but it was just the League Cup. 

I think a win would've done something towards confidence, but the Rotherham game is the must win. Win that and win against Huddersfield and we head into the end of the month looking alright again.

The defending was atrocious in the second half last night - but I think most of it was purely down to Richards. He walked back for their second after some weird diving header up the pitch (if he ran back, he'd have probably covered it) and another weird diving header lead to Okore's own goal. Dare I say it, if Baker stayed on we wouldn't have lost that. 

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

well, no, it isn't, it's just using a partial quote from your original statement. By leaving out the rest of it the meaning or our ability to interpret it wasn't changed, The message that you dont think getting rid of Richards or Okore is the prudent option still stands it's just that he left out your reasoning.

A partial quote it may be, but the contextual information of situation and world view not being present lead it to being taken out of its situational context. 

There are different ways of taking things out of context, we do it all the time. If you remove some reasoning it can easily change how people see your statement and thus change its context.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The defending was atrocious in the second half last night - but I think most of it was purely down to Richards. He walked back for their second after some weird diving header up the pitch (if he ran back, he'd have probably covered it) and another weird diving header lead to Okore's own goal. Dare I say it, if Baker stayed on we wouldn't have lost that. 

If we're honest, Amavi and Okore were also very rusty and poor at times.  Think Amavi will get better - not so sure about Okore tbh.

Edit - forgot about Hutton!

Edited by Gary Thomas

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

If we're honest, Amavi and Okore were also very rusty and poor at times.  Think Amavi will get better - not so sure about Okore tbh.

Edit - forgot about Hutton!

I think that's for the best for all of us.

• Like 1

Hutton, Cissokho and Richards should never play for this club again. Gestede should never be anything more than an impact sub, ever. Jury's still out on Okore and whether he can sort his shit out. Considering that's 3, possibly 5 departures/useless players, we should go for:

-A  D E C E N T  R I G H T  B A C K - Ledley, Jedinak, Morrison, Hernandez, Bamford

Gollini

ADRB       Elphick   Baker     Amavi

Jedinak              Tshibola

Morrison

Ayew/Bamford         McCormack/Grealish

Hernandez

Subs/Reserve: Bunn, Ledley, Westwood, Okore, Bennett, Green, Gardner, Traore, Bacuna, Gestede

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GeneralJazzman said:

A partial quote it may be, but the contextual information of situation and world view not being present lead it to being taken out of its situational context. 

There are different ways of taking things out of context, we do it all the time. If you remove some reasoning it can easily change how people see your statement and thus change its context.

That the second sentence is true does not mean the first one is applicable in this case. Its not a blanket rule. You just used the phrase "out of context" out of context is all!

I feel like im getting pedantic though and youre defending your defensive stance. Which means we'll start repeating ourselves soon and get asked to move it to pm. when really we're both just smarting from last night's humiliation. We can agree to disagree if you like, I have no desire to change your opinion. My pedantry is on record.

Should probably get back on topic though, which was what?
Oh McGrath, thats right football.... urgh. Villa? *sigh*. *sigh* again.

Jedinak please come and help us out for a couple of years if Pardew doesn't have space for you.