Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, El Kami Ghazi said:

Its easy enough for us to say give him a chance/throw him in. But whenever i've seen him play hes a 10/RW and atm we need someone to cover Grealish's position (LCM). 

I’d say that’s a fair enough observation and it’s debatable whether Ohare will be a success in that box to box role. One point I’d add though is that prior to Bruce trying it out last season Jack was a 10/LW and we would have been having the same conversation about him then. For me his work rate alone makes me think he can do it and be successful. Him and McGinn together closing people down could be a real handful. Bigger question is can he protect/ recycle and build the phases anywhere near Jacks level. 

Thats a big ask Jack is exceptional at that. We will never know unless he gets a chance and it’s something that he’ll certainly improve on with games. 

Its a tough decision because Hourihane offers a goal threat and Whelan has been playing well. It’s also a big game so experience counts. 

Personally id be very tempted to give Ohare a go. He will be giving it absolutely everything and his waspish nature and quality on the ball could really surprise Stoke. On balance I think it’s worth the risk. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I would say is that if he doesn't get some sot of involvement today, then you'd question why he isn't being sent out on loan. 

I still think the physical presence is the biggest concern for ANY manager.....He has to display his ability to ride tackles and not concede possession.

That's a risk, because we could be goals down before we come to a conclusion.

I love the lads ability and part of me says, he will never learn if we don't play him.....but I think with poor refs, some of us underestimate, the importance of the physical side of the game particularly in this league.

some players like Eden Hazard for example, show all the skills in the world, but his handling of the physical side is also exemplary.

I am anxious for Callum to be given his chance, but maybe certain games would be better than others, against Woods today, and what could be an evenly balanced contest,not so sure.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Yeah after the Leeds game we've got an easier run, on paper its 8 games against weak sides - i'd have to check but I think they are all in the bottom half or at least out of the top 10. Think then would be a better time to give O'Hare a chance, he does deserve one.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I would say is that if he doesn't get some sot of involvement today, then you'd question why he isn't being sent out on loan. 

his Injury in pre season ?

Be interesting if he gets a game today - he doesn't have close footwork skills of JG - but perhaps has the ability to deliver a more devastating pass. As I have said many times he more barry bannan style than a grealish replacement.

Agree with most of that OBE. For me the comparison with Bannan is odd. He’s a true 10, I think what Hippo is trying to get at is he’s better at playing a through ball for the striker. I think there’s some merit to that. In the few games he’s played he was able to find Hogan more consistently than anybody else. Grealish seems great at picking a pass but it always the key pass rather than the assist. They are actually very different players but both with great strengths in different areas.

• Like 1

O'hare is more ACM or Second Striker, which would be good if we playing attack style. he is more like grealish when he was young, he doesn't have draw to foul (Grealish's special move), which O'hare would play killer pass to opening scheme for forward by pulling defence to closed him down or simple passing to keep retain possession, or 1-2-1 passing to goal opportune before opponent could foul him (he is safety opition if grealish play this routine so it is "O'hare special move").

the problem is ... He couldn't do in centre midfield roles (yet) but I'm reckon he can developed like grealish roles (Advanced playmaker in centre midfield) in order to do this; which he need more game practice to learn new routine (drop deep to defence as team and playing ball to forward / or close opponent as once we lost in possession in zone 14). might play bottom 10 after leeds games would be good for him to play this type to challenge grealish in future.

His style, more like Joe Coles Type than Barry Bannan. (off the topic: Barry Bannan would be great if we play him in Houriance Role, he would ping pin-point pass to winger and forward, ACM to got space to finish off yet he is lightweight.) 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

I’d hope he’d make an appearance from the bench yesterday but obviously that didn’t happen because we were chasing the game and a result. Maybe after the Leeds game in a Christmas period full of fixtures we will start to see him introduced. 

On 15/12/2018 at 12:44, OutByEaster? said:

That's interesting, I see him as almost the exact opposite - he doesn't have the passing ability that Grealish has, but his close footwork skills and his ability to dribble in tight spaces are excellent - where he's most different from Grealish is positionally, he's much more of a second striker than a midfielder.

In that is why I think he'll be disappointed if he doesn't get some time today and why I think if he doesn't, a loan becomes a pressing need.

If he's to be used as a striker, he's behind Abraham, Hogan, Kodjia and Hepburn-Murphy - we only use one, so it's very unlikely he'll get a game, if he's to be used in midfield and he doesn't get a chance when Grealish, Lansbury and Bjarnason are all unavailable then it's difficult to see how he'll get on to the pitch. 

He's too good to keep playing reserve football, if he's to develop he needs game time. Hopefully he gets some time on the pitch today, if not then I'd be very happy to see him loaned out.

I was thinking exactly the self same thing....His ball control is his fortune.

I would like to see him in a Defoe type role.....just behind the main striker, dropping off,where his footwork can unhinge defences.....I don't see him as necessarily as a quintessential midfielder.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

From Joe Allen to Jermaine Defoe, two totally different players. So eventually he could be like either...

I was referring to tip of the diamond or just behind the main striker....either.

different players yes, rarely is any player the same or similar......but they have parallels....diminutive, good feet, decent shot on goal and both waspish in their play....and both with a decent strike rate.

I wanted to see O'Hare on Saturday, but then the game kicked off and after 5 minutes I realised that he would have been lost in that game. The conditions and the physicallity of the game would have been too much for him, much like it was for El Ghazi.

Whelan had a solid game and I'm not usually an advocate of his.

However in saying that we definately missed Grealish through the middle, a player that can hold onto the ball, slow a game down and carry it forward through the midfield. O'Hare has the potential to do this and if the conditions are better on Sunday I would take the gamble of playing him next to McGinn with Hourihane in behind (both will have to be on top of their game).

On 14/12/2018 at 18:04, mjmooney said:

This is Dean Smith's Villa. We don't have to set up the same way every time. Keep the opposition guessing. 

Welcome to VT, btw. 

In hindsight this may have been the better option. But i was referring to the fact we were on a pretty strong run of results therefore assumed it would be wise to change the team/formation as little as possible. 

Thanks for the warm welcome btw 😀

He needs a loan. I think people comparing him to all these different players shows no one bar regular youth watches have seen enough of him. It should've happened last January and wouldn't be against it happening next month.

Green seems to be doing o.k now at Portsmouth so that is sort of loan chance O'Hare needs.

• Like 3

Â