The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You can't look at it the situation in a vacuum like that. It's not just the quality of player he's had to work with, which is very low indeed. It is the situation he found them in emotionally and physically. It is the HUGE gaps in the squad that will need to be filled no matter what division we find ourselves in. It is the complete lack of belief and the extreme apathy of the crowd. Year after year many of these same players and particularly the fans have been through the same bullshit, those that care are probably exhausted and those that don't simply don't deserve to play for any football club, never mind one as wretched as ours. The club is rotten from the inside all the way out, I bet even poor Doris has ran out of teabags. To say "oh well he has some decent players" is way too narrow minded. 

As poor as I think he has been in many aspects so far, this is no time to judge his longer term ability. He hasn't had the short term impact we needed and now that opportunity has come and gone. So we switch to plan B, lets see how he builds from here. Because that is the one part of his CV that appears strongest. 

I agree with pretty much all that, and cant argue with the idea that one way to try and sort that all encompassing mess out would be to stick with Garde. Although of course it could be argued we need a Manager who can sort the playing side out DESPITE that big mess, as we have no idea how long that could take.

But I still dont see that he should effectively get a free pass, which is what it amounts to if he is simply "given till the end of the season and a chance to bring his people in" as seems to be the line of a fair few. I still think he has to be measured on performances and results, and, if they both continue at their current level, there will be an argument, in six or seven games time, to say he is the wrong guy.

He cant just have the excuse that the Club is a mess so he doesn't need results.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone will win with these players this season. Next season we'll be in a new division, with a summer off and a blank slate, I think that's an opportunity for a manager. I like Garde, I feel bad for him that he's unlikely to get that opportunity, as things stand I think we'll sacrifice him on the altar of the remains of this campaign - he can carry this shambles to the summer, by which time he'll be utterly broken.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Nope.  Because its not the same players.

It's not exactly the same players, because in some cases we sold good players and replaced them with worse ones. We also got Amavi, who is a big improvement on anything we've had at left back. But the fact remains that the vast majority of the players in this squad are the same ones who struggled last season and only just got out of trouble thanks to the goals of someone we since sold. If you can explain to me how that points towards it being the managers fault I'd be grateful because I just can't see it

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree with pretty much all that, and cant argue with the idea that one way to try and sort that all encompassing mess out would be to stick with Garde. Although of course it could be argued we need a Manager who can sort the playing side out DESPITE that big mess, as we have no idea how long that could take.

But I still dont see that he should effectively get a free pass, which is what it amounts to if he is simply "given till the end of the season and a chance to bring his people in" as seems to be the line of a fair few. I still think he has to be measured on performances and results, and, if they both continue at their current level, there will be an argument, in six or seven games time, to say he is the wrong guy.

He cant just have the excuse that the Club is a mess so he doesn't need results.

I think performances > results. I think we should judge his suitability at the end of the season based upon what he can do with this particular mess, whilst at the same time taking into account said mess. 

I genuinely believe now, given how things have progressed, that we were doomed no matter who we appointed. We don't have a single serviceable striker, we had one actual full back who's knee blew itself apart and we'd have been better off playing the season out with a traffic cone between the sticks. 

I want them to bring in some of his players now so that he has an opportunity to show what he is capable of when given a fighting chance. Because as things stand he is on a hiding to nothing. 6/7 games isn't enough, I'm prepared to give him another 18 to be honest.

I'd like us to sound out Moyes in the meanwhile though, you know, just in case. 

• Like 1

I think he has brought a semblance of order to the team, but is finding it impossible to integrate the older team members, as they lack the ability.

And the defence in particular is a shambles, all are poor players, except Okore, who is just decent, but can improve. If you were to omit the silly, stupid, goals given away by the defence (And even ignoring acceptable errors that all teams make) there would be enough wins and draws to have taken us close to safety.

48 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But its just as easy to argue keeping him now is pointless,(literally aswell as figuratively !) if that is all the argument boils down to.

It's pointless as in we're relegated what ever happens. But it might show he's the right man for next season and save us another search. 

The decision on who gets to bring us back up should be made in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcowans21 said:

And here is where the problem lies. Players here seem DO seem to have a problem carrying out what the Managers want. This is why i think he frozen Gabby out. Besides being shit, i think he is a disruptive influence on the team.

yes but Gabby hasnt played in about a month and the same things are still happening

I don't think anyone will win with these players this season. Next season we'll be in a new division, with a summer off and a blank slate, I think that's an opportunity for a manager. I like Garde, I feel bad for him that he's unlikely to get that opportunity, as things stand I think we'll sacrifice him on the altar of the remains of this campaign - he can carry this shambles to the summer, by which time he'll be utterly broken.

Not necessarily.

We're all down because we've had such poor results. One win and the mood softens massively I think.

We've been a bit unlucky as well as poor, that happens to struggling sides. But another moment of inspiration from Ayew and a miracle shut out tomorrow night and who knows, perhaps the players will feel the pressure lift a bit.

They need to start playing with the freedom of a team that know there is nothing riding on any of these games. Then who knows, the miracle may happen.

But more realistically Garde might be able to carve out a bit of something that resembles form. I still believe there is a turning point for us this season, but it won't keep us up. But it may help us build a bit of momentum for next season.

One win. That's all we need.

• Like 4

I did post this on Saturday night and nobody replied but am still intrigued to know if people from the club read the topics on this site? Does anyone think someone does - just curious. Obviously, I'm not saying Randy or Tom Fox would but pehaps a PR/Media person? If I was a player and/or manager I for one would be intrigued to see what fans were saying about me. Moreover, someone from the club should print some of these comments and show them to certain people, maybe then we would see a reaction!

Edited by ferguson1

I like the fact that he has called out Fox and Lerner. He's got bottle, and fight.

Shows he not willing to roll over and go with a whimper. I'm just struggling to see how he can attract players that'll turn the season around. 

For me I'll happily let him see the season out, hopefully there will be a change in fortunes, let him rebuild in the summer, whatever division that may be, and entrust him a little. 

My money is on Garde walking a la MON at the seasons end, it looks like cracks are appearing and Garde is just another patsy. I also think that he is a decent honourable sort working in a mad house, but will stay until the end of the season. I am certain that idiot Lerner will give nothing, he thinks he is actually being prudent by not investing in the club year on year.

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I did post this on Saturday night and nobody replied but am still intrigued to know if people from the club read the topics on this site? Does anyone think someone does - just curious. Obviously, I'm not saying Randy or Tom Fox would but pehaps a PR/Media person? If I was a player and/or manager I for one would be intrigued to see what fans were saying about me. Moreover, someone from the club should print some of these comments and show them to certain people, maybe then we would see a reaction!

Yes I read somewhere some of the PR people employed at VP have to browse the fan sites from time to time to judge the mood and relay that to the board.

Back to the Garde bit,,,,,surely the relevant question is are you confident Remi Garde is the person to bring us straight back next season, either automatically or through the play offs. To do either we'll need to win 25/46 games at least so just over 50% win ratio.

I've said before in recent years premier league teams who've gone down with foreign manager or rookies have struggled. Cardiff went down with Solsjkaer, he was sacked by October. Same with Fulham and McGarth. QPR went down with Ramsey, same result. When Wolves went down they appointed Stale Solbakken who'd done well in Scandinavia, he lasted just past xmas.

Whereas likes of Hull and Burnley who have managers who know that division inside out are in the top 6.

When I said before this I was told "totally different situation." I'm not sure why as we'll probably finish on lower points than most of those teams who were relegated and our club is as badly run as some of those clubs, indeed Fulham's a bit of a decent comparison with us. Were in prem for years and years without getting relegated, gradually got worse as they sold key players and the money got withdrawn and then they got a new owner in that Khan bloke and he's so far been clueless appointing managers and they don't look like going up anytime soon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

My money is on Garde walking a la MON at the seasons end, it looks like cracks are appearing and Garde is just another patsy. I also think that he is a decent honourable sort working in a mad house, but will stay until the end of the season. I am certain that idiot Lerner will give nothing, he thinks he is actually being prudent by not investing in the club year on year.

I see this as well. Probably will blame Lerner and say he was set up for failure. 

Â