The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I'm firmly in the "give Garde until the end of the season" camp.  He has taken over a complete shambles but I fully agree that he has done nothing yet to suggest he is the man for the job.

I will say that I had huge sympathy for him on Saturday watching the clowns perform - I'm certain that he is not coaching Richards to leave his man completely unmarked in the area or coaching Westwood to make a ridiculous challenge in the corner of the box (Oliver was just waiting for a chance to give Wycombe something).

He has though left me completely baffled as to why Kozak is not getting at least 20 mins here and there given Gestede's complete lack of everything.  Saying that I wondered why Ilori did not get a chance and after watching him perform for Liverpool on Friday I now know why

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyC said:

well this thread is cosy today....

do we know if Remi has gone to this New York 1 month late meeting today? Maybe by video call?

Probably just attended via Skype.. He as much as everyone else knows Lerner is going to say no to more funds when he's already staring down a £100 million loss on his initial club valuation in the Summer. If we were 5 points adrift then I could possibly see Lerner signing off on £20-£30 million panic cheque but we're so far down that any cash transfers will be players for next-season. 

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

You can't eat an Elephant in one bite......and on the surface it looks like we have a herd to devour.

I really do want to get behind this guy....Fingers crossed just hoping /waiting to see a glimmer of improvement from somewhere.

That is what 99.99% of us will want mate. I don't think any of us have any real appetite for another manager change as frequently changing manager has gotten us nowhere. If we are to continue to have limited funds to spend then it will require someone being given the task of gradually improving us and it will be a medium to long term task. However it has to be the right manager who is given time and if Garde is to have a long term future at this club he has to show some signs of improvement over the short term if he is to carry the belief of those players at the club he wants to keep and the majority of the fan base with him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I doubt he is going anywhere until the end of the season unless he walks by they way

I think the only way he will walk is, if he doesn't get the support, he feels was promised to do the job....He won't be hung out to dry.

Despite his quiet/measured persona, I think he could have a steely interior, like Saunders.

If he has the tools to do the job, I think he will give it a good go

.....Having said all of that, we can't wait forever, with no sign.

Ha ha its been a good day or so away but I cant help myself, a sucker for this interminable mess like the rest of you ...

Having read the last few pages of the ongoing debate, heres my view.

Play the kids ? - In many ways Id be all for it, I have no doubt there at least 3, maybe up to 5, places that nobody on here would quibble about if the incumbents lost them. My concern would be that they'd get mauled.  Not that the Club would, but that they would. Even Fergie or Wenger have been very careful about which kids they play and when.

So I would prefer it, but not at their expense, and only Garde can judge that. Id at least like him to explain his thoughts on it.

Garde better than Sherwood ? - Well like everyone its l think so little of the performance of both its hard to say, but  - leaving aside personality, subs, tactics, and all the other things that are opinion - Sherwood certainly got better results in his first dozen games. 

Like many I 'like' Garde, and that bit of me that kindles hope for the future is saying "what if he...etc etc, " but truth be told, however much or little anyone thinks of him, we cant, surely, retain a Manager who simply never wins a game can we ?

Regardless of peoples views of the players they are NOT awful. They may be playing awfully, have an awful attitude, be awfully shambolic defensively at times, be an awful 'mix', appear to have awfully low confidence, but they are not awful. None of them.  Some may be Championship at best, some Premier League, but they are not awful. I dont know that that is really debatable.  So SOMETHING has to happen to correct those issues. I find it very hard to understand how Garde (or anyone) can do that if they cant do it relatively early on....surely those factors will only get worse ? In Sherwoods case he DID have the benefit early on, and they STILL got worse !....but I cant imagine, or think of, a single Manager who has gone so badly with already shot players and rebuilt them.

As such I think there are circumstances where he should be sacked. It doesnt matter when, as we are down this season, so he can be allowed a few more games, say 4-8 ? depending on performances and results, and we can have a longer look at him.  By then it should be even clearer whether he is going to be any use, and if it looks like it does now, he should be sacked.  I cant see any sense in saying (if those additional games have also gone badly) "Well now lets give him a budget and see what happens ".....to my mind that would be stupidity.

But I am increasingly convinced that is exactly what they will do.

Thing is, 2 managers have both said the players are not doing what they tell them.

I remember Sherwood saying he didnt ask them to pass sideways and backwards, but they kept doing it

Garde said  they didnt play how he told them after we scored.

How does any manager stand a chance when these moron players wont carry out simple instructions?

Garde already said he wont walk and is staying on the Sporting Life site.

Also, there is a Villa fan phone in on Talksport after 6 if anyone interested.

• Like 1

We have to give him end of season at least we are down already so let's see if he can turn this around. If we don't win again this season has to be sacked along with a load of these spineless losers who obviously don't care (hello lescott and Guzan)

2 minutes ago, sidcowans21 said:

Thing is, 2 managers have both said the players are not doing what they tell them.

I remember Sherwood saying he didnt ask them to pass sideways and backwards, but they kept doing it

Garde said  they didnt play how he told them after we scored.

How does any manager stand a chance when these moron players wont carry out simple instructions?

Garde already said he wont walk and is staying on the Sporting Life site.

Also, there is a Villa fan phone in on Talksport after 6 if anyone interested.

Perhaps they are two very poor Managers ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

For those who would firmly give him to the end of the season......no matter what ?

If so, why ?

Lets say he hasnt got a Win by March ?

I personally believe he is a good manager given the players. He had somewhat of a rebuild job at Lyon and had a 50% win rate with them and his job there at the start was likely not as hard as this but still a massive challenge. He's working with some of the worst players on the planet and no one in football could get much out of this team. So win, lose or draw I'll support him because I do believe there is a good manager in there, we just aren't seeing it because he has a squad full of players not listening or trying.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

I doubt he is going anywhere until the end of the season unless he walks by they way

I think the only way he will walk is, if he doesn't get the support, he feels was promised to do the job....He won't be hung out to dry.

Despite his quiet/measured persona, I think he could have a steely interior, like Saunders.

If he has the tools to do the job, I think he will give it a good go

.....Having said all of that, we can't wait forever, with no sign.

1 minute ago, sidcowans21 said:

Perhaps very poor and lazy players?

Lazy maybe, but the job of a Manager is to sort that out isnt it ?

Poor ?  No I dont buy it, you don't pass sideways and backwards because of a lack of ability, and most of these players are of a similar ability to players anywhere from Championship up to bottom half Premiership, and players in many of those Clubs have no problem doing what the Manager wants.

Also I find it hard to blame 15-20 odd players over 2 Managers.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have to give him end of season at least we are down already so let's see if he can turn this around. If we don't win again this season has to be sacked along with a load of these spineless losers who obviously don't care (hello lescott and Guzan)

Why ?

Not saying he has to go, (see above Id give him another half dozen games or so) but why HAVE to ?

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

What's the point of sacking him?? Pointless he needs to get some faces in and see how he gets in. This is not his players. These losers are hopeless even ferguson could do nothing with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Poor ?  No I dont buy it, you don't pass sideways and backwards because of a lack of ability, and most of these players are of a similar ability to players anywhere from Championship up to bottom half Premiership, and players in many of those Clubs have no problem doing what the Manager wants.

You say we have a squad of Championship/Low-level Premier League players.. That's why we're in this mess. 

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

And here is where the problem lies. Players here seem DO seem to have a problem carrying out what the Managers want. This is why i think he frozen Gabby out. Besides being shit, i think he is a disruptive influence on the team.

Â