The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, Villanun said:

At this point I don't know what he has to lose by giving Kozak a chance. I don't think many people would begrudge him trying something different as long as he wasn't chopping and changing both players and positions every match like Sherwood did.

I agree, Kozak may not be particularly good, but he can't be worse than Gestede, no one can be worse than Gestede at the moment

• Like 2

Just now, Villanun said:

At this point I don't know what he has to lose by giving Kozak a chance. I don't think many people would begrudge him trying something different as long as he wasn't chopping and changing both players and positions every match like Sherwood did.

They have a better understanding of what Kozak's fitness is like than we do, so I'm not one to have a go at Garde for not picking him, as useless as Gestede is (similar with Ilori, last night it was obvious why he hadn't got any action with us).  Hopefully we can get someone proper in to play with Ayew.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes they did but the point was they would never have walked no matter how dire the situation got. Why would a manager walk and lose out on millions when can just hang around, get sacked, set for life...

Its the same in any job, if your sat on a contract that's worth millions would you walk away from it because you weren't doing much good?

regardless, garde isn't going to resign, i suspect when he took over he knew we were likely to get relegated and took the job anyway.

im not saying garde will be a miracle worker but we have been shite now for 5 years, we've had 2 major player overhauls in that time (summer 2012/13 & last summer) and 4 different managers, something has to give and right now I'm backing Remi Garde cus I sure as hell aint backing the players who should realise just how lucky they are to play for us

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 3

Wrong appointment, as i have said many times.

He has not even won a game yet, not even against Wycombe.  He cannot motivate our players nor can he inspire them

At least under Sherwood we looked like winning a game.

I still believe that he will be gone. I just hope that the rest of the board & chairman join him.

This club needs a total revamp and our predicament will continue to get worse until Lerner and co leaves.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

How bad does Kozak have to be to not get picked ahead of probably one of the worst strikers I have seen in my 40 odd years as a Villa fan.?

I saw Ilori in the u21 european championships and he looked great at that level. A fair few were calling for him to play as "he can't be worse than the others" yet last night he proved he's not ready/good enough for this level. Garde sees them in training day in day out. We don't. Maybe he sees the same with Kozak. I agree from the outside looking in that Kozak looks the better option. But I also know Garde is far better placed to make that call than me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I agree, Kozak may not be particularly good, but he can't be worse than Gestede, no one can be worse than Gestede at the moment

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They have a better understanding of what Kozak's fitness is like than we do, so I'm not one to have a go at Garde for not picking him, as useless as Gestede is (similar with Ilori, last night it was obvious why he hadn't got any action with us).  Hopefully we can get someone proper in to play with Ayew.

I take the point about fitness, but I wonder if having some competition might give some of these players the kick up the arse that they sorely need. Gestede is clearly not good enough to play in the Prem, but I can forgive a lack of skill if there's desire and commitment there. What worries me about this squad is the level of complacency that seems to have set in, the sense that there are players who are thinking "We're going down, but I'm playing okay so it's not my fault." Players can have poor games, we can be on a massive losing streak, but nobody seems to be in danger of losing their places and they get paid anyway so I wonder how much motivation there is. Even if Kozak isn't fit enough to last a whole match, it must be worth giving him a go to show what he can do. Half a match out of a player with something to prove could easily be more valuable than what we're getting out of Gestede at the moment.

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Will be telling to see how much Lerner and Fox let him spend in the remainder of the month?

I don't see us spending much, we desperately need a striker but we aren't in a position to go and spend £10million on a player who will want to leave when we get relegated

22 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Its the same in any job, if your sat on a contract that's worth millions would you walk away from it because you weren't doing much good?

regardless, garde isn't going to resign, i suspect when he took over he knew we were likely to get relegated and took the job anyway.

im not saying garde will be a miracle worker but we have been shite now for 5 years, we've had 2 major player overhauls in that time (summer 2012/13 & last summer) and 4 different managers, something has to give and right now I'm backing Remi Garde cus I sure as hell aint backing the players who should realise just how lucky they are to play for us

I agree. I don't think he should be sacked and I hope he does have a long term plan which will Involve building a team for a promotion and then building upon that success to become an established Premier League again. 

My point about managers contracts isn't a dig at Garde. It's a comment about the game in general. It's almost like the ambition for some managers can not only be to become a Premier League manager but to also get sacked as part of it! 

30 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Wrong appointment, as i have said many times.

He has not even won a game yet, not even against Wycombe.  He cannot motivate our players nor can he inspire them

At least under Sherwood we looked like winning a game.

I still believe that he will be gone. I just hope that the rest of the board & chairman join him.

This club needs a total revamp and our predicament will continue to get worse until Lerner and co leaves.

Thing is, we didn't towards the end of his reign - that's why he was sacked.

It's ridiculous because the media keep going on about our win-less run since when Garde was appointed but actually this run stretches back to September/August (depending on whether you're counting cups). Admittedly Garde hasn't been able to improve much yet but I wouldn't say things have got worse under him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's ridiculous because the media keep going on about our win-less run since when Garde was appointed but actually this run stretches back to September/August (depending on whether you're counting cups). Admittedly Garde hasn't been able to improve much yet but I wouldn't say things have got worse under him.

Quite, but fans and owner alike were looking for a 'bounce' like Sherwood had. The fact that we appear to have a seamless business as usual attitude is really telling in most of our players.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This does not hide the fact that he is our worst manager on record and thats what we will be reminded of when we see his name. I'm not saying that Sherwood should not have been sacked because he should have, the players were unfit and unprepared for the season ahead.  I am also aware that Remi has tried to rectify this however he has not instilled confidence in our players there are only two players in our squad that are playing for him (Ayew & Veretout), the rest are disinterested. 

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

But we've not looked like winning since the start of this ones reign

12 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

This does not hide the fact that he is our worst manager on record and thats what we will be reminded of when we see his name. I'm not saying that Sherwood should not have been sacked because he should have, the players were unfit and unprepared for the season ahead.  I am also aware that Remi has tried to rectify this however he has not instilled confidence in our players there are only two players in our squad that are playing for him (Ayew & Veretout), the rest are disinterested. 

Means nothing really when you consider the fact that he's only been at the club a couple of months and walked into a situation where we were already cut adrift in the league.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

But we've not looked like winning since the start of this ones reign

Exactly. It just goes to show how deep a hole the club is in and how it goes a lot deeper than the manager.

Â