The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'd quit if I were him. I'm sure he isn't skint and will pick up other work.

He would, but it would also reflect badly on him. He'd go down, statistically, as the worst manager in the clubs history. Regardless of the myriad of excuses people want to make for his exploits here (and not all of those excuses are without merit may I add), the fact remains that his results have been absolutely awful, and he hasn't demonstrated any qualities that a remotely good manager has. 

So one would wonder what sort of 'work' he'd pick up if he were to leave. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If so then it's more of a sign of him being totally out of depth. It would be a convenient excuse for him to leave after being nothing short of a failure here. His tactics aren't working and he is not getting any sort of response out of these players. 

Nobody deserves abuse. Come off it. Nothing to do with being out of depth.

1 hour ago, villianusa said:

Jesus, we're having a hard enough time trying to attract any players in the market!   Fans being hacked off and frustrated I can understand, but hurling abuse at our players just alienates the players (including those we want to keep and need to perform) and it further damages the reputation of the club, including supporters. Well played gents - feed the media!!

• Like 3

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Nobody deserves abuse. Come off it. Nothing to do with being out of depth.

It's hardly enough to drive him away, like I said, it'd be an extremely convenient excuse. What's more likely to drive him away from the club is the job he's currently doing.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's hardly enough to drive him away, like I said, it'd be an extremely convenient excuse. What's more likely to drive him away from the club is the job he's currently doing.

I don't think he will walk away. If he is to leave the club would have to sack him.

That said I reiterate nobody deserves abuse for doing their job. I think the abuse McLeish got was ridiculous at the time too.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The philosophy is a load of bollocks and has resulted in us being as good as down in January. Our long term future may or may not involve premier league football, we still have to get back up, and that's not easy. 

Moyes would have always been a much better choice both for the short and long term. He's good manager who understands football and his Everton teams always had a very good balance between flair and grafters. 

It may be, but at least we are trying to change things, I've had enough of the average players on high wages. I wan't the team to be bigger than the manager, so that they are easily replaced, I wan't the managers to adapt to Villa, not Villa adapt to every single manager in the world. Which is what Fox and co. are trying to achieve. Create a style that every manager has to abide by. Though it is not going specifically well at the moment
I don't disagree about Moyes, wouldn't mind him. 

• Like 1

The man is no fool and doesn't strike me as a man to suffer fools either. Imo he seems like he would sooner get rid of anyone not pulling there weight. He will do things his way wether the fans or players like it or not. That's what I think we need and that's why I think he will do well long term. 

I really want to believe this, yet he persists with the likes of Gestede and Sinclair.

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Garde is here as a long term manager but whether the club, the players, the fans and himself can completely knock the stuffing out of him before the summer I'm not sure.

This is the crux of it for me. I think those that think we can keep on not winning and think that Garde will then still be here next season are not taking into account what affect this will have on him. He looks as though it is having a detrimental affect on him now but if this goes on for much longer he will be competently shot.

I know he inherited a poor situation. It is why he got the job. The club had just overhauled the squad two months before he arrived. He knew there wouldn't be too much leeway to make huge changes in January and that he had to get the best out of the squad he inherited. The board clearly believed the previous manager wasn't getting the best out of the squad as they sacked him and would have hoped for at least some improvement under Garde.

I think even Gardes biggest fan, or even Garde himself, would struggle to put a constructive argument together as to what he has improved in ten games. One of the biggest criticisms of Sherwood was that he never kept anything like a settled side and Garde has done the same and chopped and changed. The defence is still a shambles, we look clueless going forward, we create very little, we score very few goals and most worryingly we lack any fight or passion.

To give him any chance of being able to make the two or three big signings in January to help us stay up he had to keep us in touch with those above us which for me was a tough ask but certainly achievable and he failed. For me now if he is to get the chance to bring us back up next season and overhaul the squad he has to earn that right and do what he has failed to do so far which is win the odd game and show some improvement. If he doesn't he will be in no fit state to lead us into next season and the majority of the fans, and the players that are still here, will have little confidence in him which is no way to be starting a new season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Am I so wrong in thinking that if we held on at Leicester we'd not be in this mess?  I guess it would have meant sticking with Sherwood for longer and that would just paper over the cracks, as his and Wilkins' inability to integrate the new players properly is a huge part of the hole we are in.  Either way I hope Garde gets first crack at getting us back up, assuming he isn't totally defeated like Lambert was by the end.

46 minutes ago, chappy said:

I made both of those trips and, not wanting to come across 'better fan' in the slightest, have been embarrassed by some villa fans today. My seat was by the tunnel and the abuse the players were getting on their way off after the game was out of order IMO. I understand the frustrations as I feel the same! But is telling our players they're words removed and to **** off really going to help?

Someone near me threw his scarf at Remi Garde as he went down the tunnel, if you are on here and reading this you should be ashamed of yourself. What good is that going to do? I couldn't really tell what was going on by the dugouts but as Garde walked down toward the tunnel he looked genuinely scared. That isn't right. Yes we spend a lot of money following the team but there should be a certain amount of common sense and human decency shown.

As for the game, I'll post more opinions in the R&R thread but I saw anger (toward the players) in Garde today that I've never seen before. All these calls to sack him... who would want to come in?

I would have threw more than a scarf ;)

9 minutes ago, Hanky said:

I really want to believe this, yet he persists with the likes of Gestede and Sinclair.

I don't think they will last in the long run either. Just don't think he rates anyone else. I think Traore was about to start replacing Sinclair but is now injured. I also think he's looking for a new striker. 

• Like 1

Agreed Garde hasnt really impressed but the bloke has inherited a squad of players that he signed none of, he may not rate any of them but they are the only players he can put out in each game. I will give him until the end of the season at least and review from there. The players are the problem, many of them been here for years and been the same. Its no coincidence that our best players are 1 or 2 players signed in the summer. The foundations of the team are crap, many of the new ones being just as bad so far. I think if we go down he should be able to have a go in the summer providing the results pick up a bit between now and then.

• Like 1

Â