The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont understand why a team that cant defend even bother trying to play that way, I would not be as pissed if we went gung ho and lost 7-4 compared to starting so many defenisve players

I get this, I'm just not sure we have that many fit attacking players in the squad.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont understand why a team that cant defend even bother trying to play that way, I would not be as pissed if we went gung ho and lost 7-4 compared to starting so many defenisve players

If we went gung ho we would have lost 7-1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

But by the time Remi got them.....they had more game time acclimatising to the Prem.

so there are many swings and roundabouts.

I just don't think it's as clear cut as some allude to.

there are plenty of reasons for us being in the situation that we are, none which are solely responsible.

You could put me in the role of prime minister and let me try to acclimatise for years on end, i still wouldnt be any good at it at the end of it as im not a politican, like most of the players we have arent premier league quality and im having a hard time ever seeing them being such.

But as i said, it doesnt matter what tactics you have, or who is the manager when you have a defensive line which stands still and watch when the opposition score. you can have 11 defenders, but if they are as mobile as a brick there isnt a single formation or tactic thats going to make it work. Unfortunatley our whole club seems to be rotten from the core

Edited by tomaspg
  • Like 1

Until we have a clear out of the players who don't give a shit and we start playing a lower standard of football next season, things will continue to get messier and messier.  Garde will need incredibly thick skin if he is going to last until then.  If I were him I'd just jack it in now.

I'm not particularly happy with the results and the performances at the moment, obviously.

I can't really see what else Garde can do though. I don't really have a problem with the lineups, but the players have given up. 

I'd like to see the manager motivate the team more, but I think in our situation that may be an impossible task.

• Like 2

RG comes across as a decent person however he's a bloody useless manager.

Yes he has an awful squad but watching him during a game he just looks lost.

I don't blame him at all though for what has happened but neither will I miss him when he's sacked at the end of the season.

• Like 1

I blame Garde far more for the games vs West Ham, Newcastle, Norwich and Sunderland around Xmas than I do for these games now.

The players have given up now. It's an almost impossible task to get them playing well now.

But back then we still had fight, and those are games we could and probably should have won. Had we done that we'd have been more in touch and that fight would still be there.

As it is, we're going down with a whimper. I still don't want him sacked, but I can understand people's frustrations with him. I really don't think we'll benefit from yet another sacking.

I just google translated Garde's post match comments about the walkout on 74.

'Fair play to them, I'd have done it if my boss wasn't sitting in the stands behind me'

'Oh, and f*** Lerner too'

Solid stuff from Remi, that.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Remi has/is trying everything.

Try playing the dealer who has drawn an Ace & a Jack

first card is a 2

second card a 3

third card a 4

fourth card a 5

if your 5th card is an 8 or above you are bust

6 or below you lose anyway

we cant outscore our opponents

so we are only in with a chance of a draw, so how should RG set up?

4, 5 or even 6 @ back?

NO PL standard GK

we have

1 PL S RB Richards

1 PL S CB Okore

1 PL S LB Cissokho (Amavi injured)

1 PL S MF Gana

Ayew, Veretout & Gil as MF/AMF

No wingers for CF (Gestede) who's only attribute is heading goals

8 players that would be ok within a squad with a spine of a

good GK CB DM AM CF (5x 10-15mill)

13 to choose from

even then, that is with nothing special coming off the bench

We needed another 50/75mill spent pre-season just to compete

Fergie, Mourinho, Pepe could not have done better than RG

Blame is on RL & TF

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As it is, we're going down with a whimper. I still don't want him sacked, but I can understand people's frustrations with him. I really don't think we'll benefit from yet another sacking.

I agree.  Another new manager to come in and have to figure out the many, many problems, assess the players, identify gaps etc is just going to set us back 6 months.  Remi knows who he wants to stay (I assume there must be one or two), who to get rid and what the main targets are and it seems we are working towards those already (Zach Clough etc).  If he is crazy enough to stay and take it on, I'd give him the summer to rebuild and let's see how things go against Preston, Brentford etc *sobs quietly*

• Like 2

He just can't get into these players heads at all. I certainly accept these players have shit for brains, but he really has got no response at all, even when he first came in there was no 'new manager' effect at all whatsoever, and if there was a time that you'd expect to see some sort of response it would have been then. I think that speaks volumes about Garde's motivational skills. 

I just do not think Garde can motivate players well enough, certainly not at this level (it's a lot easier at Lyon with better quality and more 'self-starters' who are ambitious). 

..and then there are his tactics, too conservative, no ambition to commit players forward and into the box when we have the ball in decent positions, no one making runs in behind and then the ultra defensive display last night, for me, was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Garde is a lovely, dignified guy but outrageously overrated by some on here. If he does stay next season then fine, I have no massive issue with that mainly because I'm just so de-motivated about the sides affairs these days, however if he were to leave (or be sacked) then it will really be no loss at all. 

The key question has to be: if we were looking to hire a new manager as a newly-relegated club wanting to rebuild and get back to the premier league as quickly as possible, would we choose Garde?

I really don't think so, and, if I'm right, then keeping him just on the general principle of not changing managers too often would be a big mistake.

Anyhow, I would think it's pretty certain he will extract himself from this mess as soon as his sense of obligation to his contract and his dignity will allow.

The formation was played to allow Cissoko and Hutton to get forward with cover behind them to give us width in the absence of any decent wide players.

We played ok in spells but if after 5 mins one of your CB's , the captain and one of the highest paid player at club decides he will fight for the ball from a corner with your **** RB leaving his man to header in unmarked what can you do.

If I am going to criticize him its for continually giving the walking liability Richards more chances.

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The key question has to be: if we were looking to hire a new manager as a newly-relegated club wanting to rebuild and get back to the premier league as quickly as possible, would we choose Garde?

I really don't think so, and, if I'm right, then keeping him just on the general principle of not changing managers too often would be a big mistake.

Anyhow, I would think it's pretty certain he will extract himself from this mess as soon as his sense of obligation to his contract and his dignity will allow.

tbh he wont be here next season anyway. He is blatently going to walk and I dont blame him

Edited by Demitri_C

It's in part sad, in part hilarious and in part mystifying that so many are levelling criticisms at Garde.

To be absolutely clear I have no way of knowing if he is any good or not yet. There is no standard to measure his abilities against. How would Pearson (FFS) do with this squad? How would Guardiola do? We have no way of knowing. What we do know is that we have a really poor squad whose confidence is ebbing away as the season progresses

Obviously a forum is about opinions but anyone here who thinks that their opinion about formation, tactics, selection and strategy is 100% correct whilst the decisions of a team of highly paid and experienced coaches and managers is 100% wrong is either 11 years old or is acting like they are.  The manager sees these players every day in training and use his experience to pick a side.  Clearly, unless you win, trying something new will always leave you open to criticism but what is the guy to do?

Do people think that Garde has told Richards "Don't bother marking at corners" or do they think that Lescott is so confused by playing in a three that he forgot to cover Lennon. Our players are crap and make horendous mistakes and the players on the bench are worse - thats why we are getting relegated. 

Garde has been absolutely hung out to dry by the board.

If we bring in yet another manager we need to go through the process of him assessing players again, another wasted transfer window, another pre-season without the right players and another 12 months to our journey (ha!)

My personal inclination is to get 100% behind Garde, let him bring in 6 or 8 of his own players and see how it goes. I didn't want McLiesh or Sherwood but I think all our last three managers have been let down by the board. Garde at least looks like he cares. He has my complete support

• Like 4

On the Richards front what is Garde suppose to do? We don't exactly have anyone else to come in and replace him. Quality wise he is one of the better players in our squad, they are just all completely shot of form and confidence. 

I don't think Garde can do much, the player's attitude might be questioned but they aren't good enough anyway. It's been coming for years, the way it has happened has been appalling to see though.

Let Garde rebuild us, hopefully under a new owner.

• Like 1

Yeah I can't see Remi staying and you cannot blame him after the support he has received from the board in January and throughout the season.

What worries me is who is going to want this job now? Players who couldn't give a shit, an owner who wants to sell and won't back a new manager to bring in new better players, does not strike me as a desireable job for anyone with half a brain cell. I dread to think who we will end up with next as our next manager.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

Yeah I can't see Remi staying and you cannot blame him after the support he has received from the board in January and throughout the season.

What worries me is who is going to want this job now? Players who couldn't give a shit, an owner who wants to sell and won't back a new manager to bring in new better players, does not strike me as a desireable job for anyone with half a brain cell. I dread to think who we will end up with next as our next manager.

Neil Warnock

7 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Neil Warnock

That thought  did cross my mind, and I even typed it out, made me shudder then deleted it as I didn't want to tempt fate! :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

It's in part sad, in part hilarious and in part mystifying that so many are levelling criticisms at Garde.

To be absolutely clear I have no way of knowing if he is any good or not yet. There is no standard to measure his abilities against. How would Pearson (FFS) do with this squad? How would Guardiola do? We have no way of knowing. What we do know is that we have a really poor squad whose confidence is ebbing away as the season progresses

Obviously a forum is about opinions but anyone here who thinks that their opinion about formation, tactics, selection and strategy is 100% correct whilst the decisions of a team of highly paid and experienced coaches and managers is 100% wrong is either 11 years old or is acting like they are.  The manager sees these players every day in training and use his experience to pick a side.  Clearly, unless you win, trying something new will always leave you open to criticism but what is the guy to do?

Do people think that Garde has told Richards "Don't bother marking at corners" or do they think that Lescott is so confused by playing in a three that he forgot to cover Lennon. Our players are crap and make horendous mistakes and the players on the bench are worse - thats why we are getting relegated. 

Garde has been absolutely hung out to dry by the board.

If we bring in yet another manager we need to go through the process of him assessing players again, another wasted transfer window, another pre-season without the right players and another 12 months to our journey (ha!)

My personal inclination is to get 100% behind Garde, let him bring in 6 or 8 of his own players and see how it goes. I didn't want McLiesh or Sherwood but I think all our last three managers have been let down by the board. Garde at least looks like he cares. He has my complete support

He can't get the vast majority of players to play for him, being able to get players to play for you is one of the key things a manager does at a club regardless of whether they are his players or not. Other managers can take over clubs and get a response from players, even though we were in a poor run of form we were only 4 points from safety when he arrived, there has been zero improvement in anything since he arrived. He has been a total flop, the players don't like training for him and they don't want to play for him, they don't respect him at all. A manager that can't command any kind of respect from a group of players is a disaster which is what Garde has proved to be. Many pundits and ex players were baffled by his appointment and said he would not be up to the task and that we had made a mistake. He has without doubt been a mistake and an utterly woeful appointment.

Â