The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Our players are not good enough

Would Bunn or Guzan get a game anywhere else in the Premiership? Would Bacuna?, Westwood? Gestede? Clark? Lescott? Gabby? Sinclair? Hutton? Richards? Cissoko?

They are all sub-standard

Gana and Veretout might be ok with better players around them

Okore, Amavi, Ayew are the only ones who might get a game elsewhere

We lost our three(four?) best players in the summer and didn't adequately replace any of them

We are £75m net away from a mid-table premiership side and £40m net away from a Championship promotion side

When we have a competitive squad then we should start pressurising the manager but until then he's got my 100% support

• Like 4

I can't bring myself to blame Garde, was he the right appointment considering the situation we were in? Probably not but the fault there lies with the board who appointed him and failed to support him in the Transfer Window. Removing him now would be pointless and cost the club more money.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I'd be pretty confident that he does, however he will need to bring in players who are capable of implementing his ideas. At the moment we have next to nothing going forward (Ayew perhaps is the only viable option) which in turn means that our defence is constantly under pressure

That the board could not help him by bringing in two or three players who could start this journey in January is scandalous.

At the moment it's like trying to cook a gourmet dinner when you've got a packet of supernoodles, a potato and a turkey twisler

For me one of the problems at the moment is that he is trying to cook a gourmet dinner when all we want is fish and chips. Hopefully we will see more of that going forward with him, get the ball down the wings and cross it in to Gestede. Hoof it up to him where necessary. Relying on Gestede in the premier league is of course pointless, we tried that. But we are gone anyway, so what the hey. Might as well try and restore a bit of siege mentality in to the club before the bitter end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For me one of the problems at the moment is that he is trying to cook a gourmet dinner when all we want is fish and chips. Hopefully we will see more of that going forward with him, get the ball down the wings and cross it in to Gestede. Hoof it up to him where necessary. Relying on Gestede in the premier league is of course pointless, we tried that. But we are gone anyway, so what the hey. Might as well try and restore a bit of siege mentality in to the club before the bitter end. 

Maybe my analogy was wrong but I really don't think he is trying to do anything too sophisticated.  We seem to have a sensible shape and players seem to understand their role but our play is littered with stupid mistakes (like Richards and Lescott's last night) and with players who have not got a trick or the vision to open up the defence. 

Westwood and Bacuna had the ball numerous times and could see what needed to be done but did not have the ability to deliver the required ball

Hutton got in the right position numerous times but could not beat his man

Cissoko got some good crosses in but the players who played him in were then unable to make up the ground

In my opinion there is no formation or tactic that could get us up the league.

I would prefer to persevere with a style of play that may not work for us in the PL but may work in the Championship but I understand your call to boot it up to Gestede and hope for the best

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Maybe my analogy was wrong but I really don't think he is trying to do anything too sophisticated.  We seem to have a sensible shape and players seem to understand their role but our play is littered with stupid mistakes (like Richards and Lescott's last night) and with players who have not got a trick or the vision to open up the defence. 

Westwood and Bacuna had the ball numerous times and could see what needed to be done but did not have the ability to deliver the required ball

Cissoko got some good crosses in but the players who played him in were then unable to make up the ground

I would prefer to persevere with a style of play that may not work for us in the PL but may work in the Championship but I understand your call to boot it up to Gestede and hope for the best

Kind of agree with most of that. The only thing I will add is that they have played well under Remi and they have won football matches. The issues we currently face are endemic of a wider losing mentality that has spread throughout the club from top to bottom, IMO. I fear it has also spread to the manager. 

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to blame Garde, was he the right appointment considering the situation we were in? Probably not but the fault there lies with the board who appointed him and failed to support him in the Transfer Window. Removing him now would be pointless and cost the club more money.

I can, just look at his lack of motivation and results since he took over. Stupid formations and silly subs. The Newcastle game for example, well on top, no subs made to go on and win the game. Theres many other examples aswell.

The board dont manage the players and pick the team.

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd tend to agree with this. Trying to play a nice passing game with our current squad has been proven not to work.

Look at Gana for example, has the most tackles in the league, but it's when he has the ball that the problems begin. We don't really have anyone capable of picking out a killer pass and when we try we give the ball away far too often.

On a side note you just had to mention fish and chips didn't you. I wonder if Assault and Battery is still in Greenwich Village.......Most places over here that advertise "Traditional English Fish and Chips" on their menu wouldn't know a chip if it smacked them in the face.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Well Hutton and Cissoko cant cross the ball, so that generally rules out Gestede.  Ive watch it time and time again, teams let Hutton have the ball, lets him run up the field, he looses the ball and is out of position, they attack down that wing.  Same thing happens with Cissoko but to a lesser extent.  I would start by telling the two of them not to venture over the half way line and play a 4 man midfield with one in front of them both. 

Whats point in having two backs running up the field when they have absolutely no end product and it messes up the shape of the team because other teams exploit it. 

5 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

I can, just look at his lack of motivation and results since he took over. Stupid formations and silly subs. The Newcastle game for example, well on top, no subs made to go on and win the game. Theres many other examples aswell.

The board dont manage the players and pick the team.

I'm not sure how a player needs to be "Motivated" to mark his man. We've conceded 5 goals in the last two games and all of them were due to defensive errors as opposed to opposition skill.

I can't see blaming the manager for school boy type stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Uppernorthstander said:

Except Timmy didn't sign his own players he signed paddy and almstad's players I'm sure if he'd of got what he wanted Tim would of done a better job... IMO

Yes you can't be certain about anything but I agree that we would have been in a slightly better position if Tim had stayed. I never ever thought that Garde was the right choice and i said it at the time and he's done nothing to change my mind. Kind of like the signings in the summer, blind speculation and muddled thinking.

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't really rate Garde but he's done nothing to deserve abuse. Lambert and to some extent Sherwood deserved it but it's a bit harsh on this guy. 

No one "deserves" abuse. Sounds like Trump.

• Like 1

You can't say players aren't giving 100% and then play them again and again. That's bad management.
Good management is trying a player and turning any failure into a positive, building trust.

Fair enough the kids aren't good enough but up front they simply can't be any worse.
Plenty of managers have shaken things up by playing a kid in attack to put pressure on their main players, the fact Garde hasn't shows real nativity especially at this stage in the season.
I like him and I'd be happy if he stayed, but like Lambert if he's not going to learn from his mistakes he might as well go now.

• Like 1

Don't really blame him for not playing the kids.
While I agree it couldn't get any worse, until we are mathematically down, it is embarrassing throwing in the towel like that.

(I'm fully aware we surrendered in January).

When we are down, which will probably be the day I win loads on the Grand National, you might as well tell the senior players not to bother even coming to training, play the kids and tell pretty much every single player they are transfer listed. 

I'd love to see Sellars etc, get their chance, but can see why it hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I honestly think Reilly was heavily involved in the signings. he has a history of recomending shit players. look at his excellent transfer record at Liverpool. Also found this to support that

Reilly is useless

That article does not support your statement. Do you have a basis for it?

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

While I agree it couldn't get any worse, until we are mathematically down, it is embarrassing throwing in the towel like that.

When we are down, which will probably be the day I win loads on the Grand National, you might as well tell the senior players not to bother even coming to training, play the kids and tell pretty much every single player they are transfer listed. 

I'd love to see Sellars etc, get their chance, but can see why it hasn't happened yet. 

I can see it too, I just question the validity of that decision.
Playing the kids for 20 mins to see what happens (to the player and team mates) is a sign of managerial strength, especially before you're mathematically down!

Apart from Wenger I can't think of one top manager who hasn't used reserve players as a strategy for motivation, many got lucky! It was Fergie's go to move.

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

When asked about the practice game, he did not seem to think any of the younger players were ready.

He seems a decent guy but is now completely ineffectual at the club

In my eyes he's not a manager to stop a rot or turn around a crisis. You need a need certain type of character for that. A Pulis or Allardyce type. Garde is probably better suited to improving a solid base not building one. He doesn't seem to have any respect from the players or able to get any reaction.

The players are a toxic bunch of words removed as well, and its going to need someone strong to get in their faces. 

Its a mess. 

• Like 2

Remi (and Ayew) is still the only thing im slightly proud of at the moment.  Dont care if we aren't winning, no manager could succeed.  We just aren't good enough at this level.

We need a calm head at the moment leading the club, hopefully we can still go down with a bit of dignity at least.  Neutrals feel sorry for us at least so we're no longer a laughing stock anymore.  We're way beyond that, a dying lion, no one wants to see that shit :(

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lloydxmas said:

Remi (and Ayew) is still the only thing im slightly proud of at the moment.  Dont care if we aren't winning, no manager could succeed.  We just aren't good enough at this level.

We need a calm head at the moment leading the club, hopefully we can still go down with a bit of dignity at least.  Neutrals feel sorry for us at least so we're no longer a laughing stock anymore.  We're way beyond that, a dying lion, no one wants to see that shit :(

Why are you proud of him?

Â