The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Problem is though that whatever the history of all those clubs there was never the huge money on offer that there will be next season, the season which AVFC will miss out on it. So those clubs will now move ahead of us. Many are expanding stadiums too, and it will be a long tough road back now even with the right ownership and infrastructure at the club. Fact is we do not have the right ownership etc at the club they want out and to run everything on a "no risk-no loss never mind the football" basis until they leave.

The only way forward is if Lerner sells and then it's an unknown as to who buys us so i think it's impossible to know what the future holds but it looks bleak unless we are lucky enough to get ambitious new owners, who maybe fancy a crack at developing Aston Man City style or at least have the financial clout to bring their ambition to fruition... Not exactly promising is it?

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The gulf has been vast for a long time. You only need to look at the current league table to see that it doesn't *really* matter. Once you're up you're in the game, that will never change. Getting up is a whole other matter, though we do have the parachute payments on our side for a couple of years. We will need to take advantage while we are on the high side of an un-level playing field. 

Very true DDID, I hadn't thought about it quite like that i admit and you're right, we will be competing against Championship teams + 2 other relegated teams in the same boat as us. Maybe the fact those teams have spent big trying to stay up this window will count against them next season as they will have to downsize more than we do?

My only concern with that is Lerner! He will surely find new ways to disappoint and despite those teams spending more than us this window we will still downsize more and spend less than them regardless. That appears to be the Lerner way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Your concern is the same as mine.

If they won't gamble £8m on us staying up, what price to get us promoted again?

My biggest fear is they will repeat what they did this season and sell our talented players to generate cash (sustainable). We will end up with a completely new (cheap) team, which will struggle to gel and match expectations, and then the excuses will follow. I really do not want Hollis appointing a manager, I do not believe he has the ambition or nous to make the proper appointment. 

I really hope Garde stays and is financially backed.

• Like 1

Hypothesis 1: Bigger clubs do not, in fact, generally struggle in the Championship. In fact, bigger clubs do better than smaller clubs in the Championship. 

Hypothesis 2: Stadium capacity is a reasonable proxy for 'size of club', accepting that there are bigger clubs with smaller stadia (QPR) and vice versa (Coventry) but that these generally even out. 

Hypothesis 3: Generally speaking in the Championship, teams with bigger stadia finish higher in the league table.

Results:

2007/08

Promoted Av: 26,725

Top Half Av: 26,231

Bottom Half Av: 23,867

Relegated Av: 17,200

2008/09

Promoted Av: 27,706

Top Half Av: 26,627

Bottom Half Av: 25,364

Relegated Av: 28,875

2009/10

Promoted Av: 31,979

Top Half Av: 27,793

Bottom Half Av: 24,218

Relegated Av: 24,517

2010/11

Promoted Av: 22,136

Top Half Av: 27,360

Bottom Half Av: 23,386

Relegated Av: 21,764

2011/12

Promoted Av: 30,670

Top Half Av: 29,233

Bottom Half Av: 23,845

Relegated Av: 22,810

2012/13

Promoted Av: 27,980

Top Half Av: 28,327

Bottom Half Av: 26,624

Relegated Av: 19,811

2013/14

Promoted Av: 24,067

Top Half Av: 27,019

Bottom Half Av: 24,654

Relegated Av: 15,968

2014/15

Promoted Av: 19,991

Top Half Av: 27,075

Bottom Half Av: 26,460

Relegated Av: 20,640

Analysis:

• Teams that finished in the top half have bigger stadia than those in the bottom half, every season. 
  • Because of much smaller samples, promoted teams have a smaller average fairly regularly - being a small club is not a barrier to promotion (see Burnley / QPR / Bournemouth)
  • Really small clubs get relegated, generally quite quickly (Scunthorpe / Colchester / Yeovil)
  • The data doesn't support the idea that the Championship is harder for bigger clubs
  • Like 3

I like Remi garde, and I want him to stay to help spur a Villa revival. But I admit that I'd also take great pleasure in him quitting before the game today, and really giving the brass an earful. Embarrass them until they piss themselves with shame, the words removed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I like Remi garde, and I want him to stay to help spur a Villa revival. But I admit that I'd also take great pleasure in him quitting before the game today, and really giving the brass an earful. Embarrass them until they piss themselves with shame, the words removed.

No, I'd rather he stayed. They can be shamed later. Honestly, if he leaves I'm done with Villa this season. I'll tune in again next year to see what league we're in and take it from there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The gulf has been vast for a long time. You only need to look at the current league table to see that it doesn't *really* matter. Once you're up you're in the game, that will never change. Getting up is a whole other matter, though we do have the parachute payments on our side for a couple of years. We will need to take advantage while we are on the high side of an un-level playing field. 

Aye. But current form indicates Lerner will want to keep that money rather than spend our way back into the top flight.

after the west ham game.. remi could resign & say he has took this team as far as he can.

i would not blame the man if he does,if he stays no matter how you coat it,history books will say RG was the manager who was the manager when villa were relegated,its not something you want on your cv is it?

I've only just seen his quotes about the transfer window. I can only hope that it was kind of lost in translation.

Garde was the only reason I thought we had a chance of coming straight back up but now I fully expect him to walk at the end of the season and fully justified it will be as well. 

What a shockingly run club. There are no excuses for not signing players. Teams at the bottom of league manage it all the time but instead we just give up. 

The arrogance that appears to be emanating from the board is nauseating. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yes. What, you don't think saying we're going to be "lost forever" is hyperbole?

Wow, you really wanted to do that conversation again ? We only had it the night before  !!

I thought you'd just read that and think " oh thank God we aren't doing all that again", hence the smiley.

Anyway, since you ask, you can find a comprehensive discourse on my views from the night before, with your good self.

Â