Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Kingman said:

So I guess we will now see Man Utd retrospectively act on Fergie for his infamous years of the verball hairdryer treatment + kicking anything that comes into contact into players faces? 

There would be less people to give evidence against fergie - due to what he achieved there.

Obviously we are judging without full facts from way back to the mid eighties. Personally he always struck me as being a laid back kind of guy - so a bit surprising for me.

Wonder if he did anything seriously wrong - or did the club pay off his contract to make the issue go away

Bannan mentioned on his interview with Si Ferry he was an angry aggressive man, but didn't feel he was bullying. Tommy Miller alluded to it to at Swindon on undr the cosh.

Some people thrive on it. Some don't. You cannot do it anymore especially at youth level.

I did initially think it was isolated case but too many people have come forward now. It is not right. 

• Like 3

Listening to the podcasts it is quite amazing how even lads in their late thirties still justify the "character building" they endured. People going into coaching as we speak.

Jon Parkin for one. 

I know as a teenager and a sensitive soul at that age that world would have swallowed me up.

We are not all big and brash and water of a ducks arse types.

• Like 1

he was such an awful caretaker manager which was always a sign. Most clubs the caretaker manager has the players playing for him because they are respected coaching staff members. Players downed tools under him especially in Championship except that one West Ham game his first game

Was people asking for him to get the job full time after that game, think me included. 

Edited by Zatman

Was it three stints as caretaker manager he had?

The West Ham/Newcastle games before Houllier, the Spurs game before Garde took over and the Millwall game before Smith? I remember thinking the spurs one was particularly miserable, from a team selection point of view.

Anyway, regarding this I’m happy he’s gone. I was of the opinion that all the stories sounded bad and that while he was here there was this cloud hanging over the club. But at the same time wanted the club/external agency to do the necessary investigation to confirm as best as they could which it appears they have done.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Was it three stints as caretaker manager he had?

The West Ham/Newcastle games before Houllier, the Spurs game before Garde took over and the Millwall game before Smith? I remember thinking the spurs one was particularly miserable, from a team selection point of view.

Anyway, regarding this I’m happy he’s gone. I was of the opinion that all the stories sounded bad and that while he was here there was this cloud hanging over the club. But at the same time wanted the club/external agency to do the necessary investigation to confirm as best as they could which it appears they have done.

Think was the infamous game that Gabby had something like 5 touches in the 1st half

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he was such an awful caretaker manager which was always a sign. Most clubs the caretaker manager has the players playing for him because they are respected coaching staff members. Players downed tools under him especially in Championship except that one West Ham game his first game

Was people asking for him to get the job full time after that game, think me included. 

I still think in 2010 he would've got the job if Newcastle 6-0 hadn't happened. Probably would've lasted a couple of months at best as even in caretaker spell our performances were mediocre under him.

Think you'd sum it up as his methods that were acceptable 10-15 years ago aren't now with the way society has changed, see also John Gregory comments when Stan Collymore had depression. It looks stone age now but that was the culture in those times.

Worst part is he briefly left to manage Swindon and then we reappointed him, initally first team coach under McLeish and then went back to youth set up when Lambert came in. Hope some of these allegations weren't recent and it was more 90s/00s period.

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

So I guess we will now see Man Utd retrospectively act on Fergie for his infamous years of the verball hairdryer treatment + kicking anything that comes into contact into players faces? 

Jeez apples and airplanes. 

Statement From Club in Full

Aston Villa can confirm that Kevin MacDonald has left his position as Head of Football Development with immediate effect.

Mr MacDonald had been reallocated to non-player facing duties pending completion of an independent investigation into allegations published in The Guardian newspaper in December 2018 about his past conduct. That investigation, carried out by barrister Jack Mitchell, has now concluded and the results delivered to the Board. As the report forms part of an employee disciplinary process, the Club is unable to provide details in public although copies of Mr Mitchell’s investigation have been provided to The FA, Premier League and statutory authorities.

Mr Mitchell appealed for individuals to come forward to give evidence and we are especially grateful to those former players who assisted him in his investigation.

Aston Villa wishes to apologise to all former players who were affected by behaviour which would not be tolerated by the Club today.

Our approach to safeguarding is now unrecognisable from the past and has been described as excellent in recent EFL and Ofsted audits.

The Club will now begin a search for his successor.

Villa have done the absolute right thing with this. Ultimately they have taken him out of front line, gathered the evidence and considered it carefully before passing judgment. Whilst we don’t know the details (nor should we at this stage or ever), they are clear that he is at fault, on a civil proof standard. They are so confident that they have sacked him without pay off, which is generally unheard of in this day and age. They have also passed it on to the relevant authorities. It is clear that he will, at the very least, never work in football again.

What is a shame is that it has gone on for so long, but it was clear he was a part of the institution and seemed untouchable. Might also explain why so many promising youngsters were completely shot when they got near the first team.

Fresh start and new era for the Villa youth along with the rest of the club. 

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think was the infamous game that Gabby had something like 5 touches in the 1st half

Was that the game Ciaran Clark just got absolutely bulldozed by Dembele and then Mike Dean celebrated his goal? :lol: 

We've had some grim days recently at WHL. The infamous game under McLeish where we had the flying wingers of Hutton and Heskey immediately comes to mind.

23 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Statement From Club in Full

Villa have done the absolute right thing with this. Ultimately they have taken him out of front line, gathered the evidence and considered it carefully before passing judgment. Whilst we don’t know the details (nor should we at this stage or ever), they are clear that he is at fault, on a civil proof standard. They are so confident that they have sacked him without pay off, which is generally unheard of in this day and age. They have also passed it on to the relevant authorities. It is clear that he will, at the very least, never work in football again.

What is a shame is that it has gone on for so long, but it was clear he was a part of the institution and seemed untouchable. Might also explain why so many promising youngsters were completely shot when they got near the first team.

Fresh start and new era for the Villa youth along with the rest of the club. 

Eventually. However the club stonewalled for ages, during some of which time he remained in a player-facing role. I will say that Purslow appears to be the first person at the club who actually took the matter seriously, so fair play to him for that. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eventually. However the club stonewalled for ages, during some of which time he remained in a player-facing role. I will say that Purslow appears to be the first person at the club who actually took the matter seriously, so fair play to him for that. 

In fairness to Keith Wyness that would mean he would have had to do something like his actual job instead of playing with his lego set and arranging lunch 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I'll always remember that as a really odd game. O'Neill had just left us in the lurch and Milner was about to leave but we completely demolished West Ham and a lot of people were wondering if he was going to turn out to be some sort of brilliant manager.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'll always remember that as a really odd game. O'Neill had just left us in the lurch and Milner was about to leave but we completely demolished West Ham and a lot of people were wondering if he was going to turn out to be some sort of brilliant manager.

I think the truth was West Ham were just awful. Relegated that season 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cyrusr said:

They are so confident that they have sacked him without pay off, which is generally unheard of in this day and age.

Quite so. When I read he had the LMA in his corner but still got the boot I figured he had a mountain of evidence against him and little in the way of defence.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

My thoughts entirely. Purslow has made a clear statement about a new ethos and direction for the club and earns an enormous amount of credit for that. The club’s failure to deal with this over many years is a matter for enduring regret but you can only trust future practice will be much better.

Maybe we will even see a better flow of well-prepared youngsters coming through from the youth squad?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Obviously I know nothing and you know all the finer disclosed details so please share, 

I bow down to your superior knowledge and inside information. 

Multiple articles have been posted in this thread detailing what happened. It's not exactly classified information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â