Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

5 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Assuming that you consider it to be BS?

Of course - there are no sources and it's clearly just designed to rile people up and get people to read their website/paper. About as transparent as tabloid journalism gets. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't take 'The Mirrors' word for anything. it's common sense that the club might do any dealing with one eye on us being in the Championship next season but doesn't have to mean we only sign players with Championship experience.

• Like 2

The manner of how we are relegated  will be extremely important come once we go into next season.

If we just give up, both regarding how we play and how we act in the transfer window I think we are shooting our self in the foot.

I respect we are already 99% down  but the club and the players can't act like it.

Should we continue this horrid form and fail to act in this transfer window, then we are imo screwed for next season as well.

To expect a total transformation of the squad, the moral and the confidence during a few months in the summer is imo very naive and highly unlikely.

As others have said, we'll be the team everyone wan't to beat next season, should we get a bad start i very much fear we'll continue on path we're on since the team lacks a backbone.

We need to get rid of certain players, and we need to strengthen most areas. This needs to start now as the task is monumental.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Many VT posters been banging the "we're already down, time to plan for a quick rebound" gong for some time.  I have disagreed with their certainty, and their strategy.  If the club does turn out to be thinking the same way, how many of them will turn and blame Randy, Fox, Garde, and anyone else, for "giving up" and "one more terrible decision"?

depends what type of players they recruit.  I'm all for recruiting those this window who are decent lower level but willing to fight like buggery next season to improve and get back to the premiership,  giving them the next 5 months to get a taste of it.  I am not in favour of free transfer bosman end of career journeymen their only quality being experienced in the championship.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Of course - there are no sources and it's clearly just designed to rile people up and get people to read their website/paper. About as transparent as tabloid journalism gets. 

Lexicon,  you cant go on ignoring evidence of how poorly we are being run forever you know

We need to hold on to some players should the unthinkable which we have all now accepted as being more likely than not does actually happen.

I would want to keep as many of the following as possible who I think could do a decent job in the division below for a season and add another 4- 5 decent players to them sooner rather than later: Richards*, Okore*, Clark*, Gana*, Sinclair*, Westwood, Lescott, Veretout*, Ayew*, Traore*, Amavi*, Gardner, Gil*, and Grealish*. However the vultures will be likely to circle most of those players I have marked who might not all be that willing to go down with us in any case and we are a bit of a selling club these days.    

Still think i was wrong to have a go at the board Lex and say they weren;'t good enough?

The article in the mirror is not the evidence .  The actuality of what is happening at the club is the evidence.  The article is just extrapolating on that

Edited by Richard

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Still think i was wrong to have a go at the board Lex and say they weren;'t good enough?

The article in the mirror is not the evidence .  The actuality of what is happening at the club is the evidence.  The article is just extrapolating on that

Extrapolating is an interesting way to put "talking out of their ass".

2 minutes ago, jon_c said:

We could just do a Newcastle and bid £19m for a player we know won't agree to come here in a million years. That way we at least look like we're trying.

the board would brick it that he may actually say yes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Are you really that obsessed with being correct, you're bringing something up from years and years ago? 

At the time - yes, I think you were wrong. 

Not obsessed but i recall taking a shit ton of abuse from people,  you included,  who ridiculed my opinion that the board and Lerner were not good enough. Same board so not sure how they can be good then and not good now

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Are you really that obsessed with being correct, you're bringing something up from years and years ago? 

At the time - yes, I think you were wrong. 

Yep.

"Spend more money Lerner or piss off and find someone who will" was hardly a top quality, intellectual critique about the nous and aptitude of our board.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not obsessed but i recall taking a shit ton of abuse from people,  you included,  who ridiculed my opinion that the board and Lerner were not good enough. Same board so not sure how they can be good then and not good now

Because times change and situations change. Ours has a lot since then. 

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

To be fair Richard given your hugely strong opinions on Lambert at the time of his appointment I think people challenging your opinion re: Lerner and the Board is perfectly valid. 

• Like 1