Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

My perspective re: relegation and contracts is that if a player isn't prepared to take a reduction in wages, it shows that he hasn't got much belief in himself and isn't prepared to fight. It's a good indicator of character IMO.

or that his agent isnt stupid

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

or that his agent isnt stupid

Depends on the offers they get, I guess. 

Surely from an agents' perspective, players having relegation clauses is a good thing - more likely get another move and thus another tasty fee for his services? 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Depends on the offers they get, I guess. 

Surely from an agents' perspective, players having relegation clauses is a good thing - more likely get another move and thus another tasty fee for his services? 

I imagine they would be happy inserting relegation release clauses but wouldnt be keen on wage reductions

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe some do plus they are working for best deal for their client not Aston Villa

Yeah they are but it's swings and roundabouts - I think it's still wrong to call an agent stupid for agreeing to a wage reduction clause though. 

Just now, lexicon said:

Yeah they are but it's swings and roundabouts - I think it's still wrong to call an agent stupid for agreeing to a wage reduction clause though. 

well he wouldnt be getting the best deal for his client and thats his job at the end of the day. If a player gets offered a wage reduction on relegation my first thought would be this club has zero ambition

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well he wouldnt be getting the best deal for his client and thats his job at the end of the day. If a player gets offered a wage reduction on relegation my first thought would be this club has zero ambition

But if it's the only offer and it's better money than he's currently on, surely it'd the best one anyway?

Just now, Zatman said:

How do you know contracts haven't been negotiated for extra money now with a view to a relegation clause being put in?  i.e:  "We want £30k/wk" - "Sure, but we want a 50% wage reduction on relegation clause" - "Make that £40k/wk with the relegation clause, then" etc. etc.

Also, it's got nothing to do with ambition and more about being a well-run club.  If a player thinks they're good enough, they won't be worried about such a thing.

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Joe Lolley is out of contract in the summer. :)

Didn't think that was strictly true. Huddersfield have an extra 1 year option don't they?