Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

You wonder if there is ANYTHING that would change the conversation now.  It's so entrenched. 

If, I don't know, a bunch of guys mounted the roof of The Super bowl with machine guns and gunned down 5,000 people, what would the reaction be? 

Oh dear, thoughts and prayers.  Need to increase Superbowl security. 

They had that Las Vegas country music festival thing, almost forgotten already. 

I'm certain there is literally no tragedy now that would change anything. 

I'm a little suprised we've not seen an active shooter at a NRA meeting in all honesty, someone whose relative has been a victim of one of these shootings taking revenge on the enablers. 

I think it would take a very senior politician’s child to be killed for them to make a stand, then there will be months or years of hell. 
There’s no easy path through I don’t think.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think it would take a very senior politician’s child to be killed for them to make a stand, then there will be months or years of hell. 
There’s no easy path through I don’t think.

I don't think one politician can change anything. Maybe if a bunch of senior Republican politicians had all their kids massacred at a party together but even then I'm really not sure. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't think one politician can change anything. Maybe if a bunch of senior Republican politicians had all their kids massacred at a party together but even then I'm really not sure. 

It would just be blamed on Antifa and used to fuel the Good Guy with a Gun narrative.

It’s unstoppable. The NRA playbook is too effective.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

You wonder if there is ANYTHING that would change the conversation now.  It's so entrenched. 

If, I don't know, a bunch of guys mounted the roof of The Super bowl with machine guns and gunned down 5,000 people, what would the reaction be? 

I'm a little suprised we've not seen an active shooter at a NRA meeting in all honesty, someone whose relative has been a victim of one of these shootings taking revenge on the enablers. 

Funnily enough people weren't allowed to take guns into the last NRA conference because their hero Trump was attending.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Route 91 Festival certainly amongst country music fans is still talked about. It is perhaps one of those tragedies that does still resonate. 

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think the only way is a slow and steady erosion of gun freedoms across the country with a view to having proper gun controls in 50 years time, or longer. The problem with that is the difference between state and federal laws in the US. Very hard to implement restrictions nationwide. 

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

The answer is not to ban guns,but to get people to buy bigger guns,so that they can protect themselves properly against those silly people that have smaller guns.

Edited by PussEKatt

I saw a pickup truck today with a bumper sticker that said "LIVE, LAUGH LOVE. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, READY, AIM, FIRE".

I saw a guy at the grocery store recently wearing a shirt with an American flag on the back that said "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN, THEY RELOAD".

There's an entire cottage industry that produces stuff like this en masse, and it feeds the radicalization of millions of people. It's just a normal, casual thing now for people to project threats of gun violence. And few people will say anything to them, for obvious reasons. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I saw a pickup truck today with a bumper sticker that said "LIVE, LAUGH LOVE. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, READY, AIM, FIRE".

I saw a guy at the grocery store recently wearing a shirt with an American flag on the back and said "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN, THEY RELOAD".

There's an entire cottage industry that produces stuff like this en masse, and it feeds the radicalization of millions of people. It's just a normal, casual thing now for people to project threats of gun violence. And few people will say anything to them, for obvious reasons. 

I got this ad on my FB feed: 

Screenshot_2023-04-25-16-21-02-39_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I saw a guy at the grocery store recently wearing a shirt with an American flag on the back that said "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN, THEY RELOAD".

What chance has anybody got in the face of such idiocy?

2 hours ago, sne said:

Guns don't kill people, dangerous minorities do. Or something like that I imagine will be the response.

Anyone who could even thinking about defending guns in this instance has surely lost all grasp on humanity 😮‍💨

Edited by Eidolon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Anyone who could even thinking about defending guns in this instance has surely lost all grasp on humanity 😮‍💨

Nothing matters here anymore. We are at the beginning of the end, basically.

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Nothing matters here anymore. We are at the beginning of the end, basically.

Did James Corden not bring about peace and understanding then? 

If Smithy can't fix America I really don't know what can 🙁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was the police again who brought this to an end.

Where were all the badass, gun loving Texans who need their guns to defend themselves?

Probably a good thing tbh. Certainly wouldn't wanna be caught in a situation where Billy-Bob, Jim-Bob, D'Andre, Brenda-May, Quantavius and LaShonda all open fire and try to be heroes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Probably a good thing tbh. Certainly wouldn't wanna be caught in a situation where Billy-Bob, Jim-Bob, D'Andre, Brenda-May, Quantavius and LaShonda all open fire and try to be heroes.

This is their argument for having personal guns though isn’t it? Yet whenever a baddun with a gun opens fire they are never around.

I agree it’s a good thing, what would be better would be to get rid of all the personal guns (which obviously won’t happen anytime soon).

• Like 2

Â