The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, choffer said:

How much did Rishi just announce for a new Liverpool waterfront Beatles museum?

Bicks will be delighted. 

There are already fecking two waterfront fecking B**tles museums. Regardless of my thoughts on said band, what a fecking waste of money, finish the fecking new hospital that has been stalled since the collapse of Carillion you absolute weapons

Oh and the Beatles museum sites (two sites same people) are in private hands, who owns and runs this new one? and where the feck are they building it?

• Like 2

Grrrrrr

In his Budget speech to the House of Commons on Wednesday, Mr Sunak also announced £2m in funding for a new Beatles museum on Liverpool waterfront. He said the project was champion by Liverpool-born culture secretary Nadine Dorries.

Liverpool Business News

What is the purpose of this new museum? It will not attract one single extra tourist to Liverpool, everyone who comes here on a Beatles Heritage visit will come here anyway. We've already got THREE Beatles Museums and a whole host of bus tours / cab tours, murals, national Trust sites (both Lennon and McCartney's childhood homes), shops selling tat, you name it, it's already here

Where are they going to get the exhibits from too? The other museums and private collectors have most of it already

1 hour ago, bickster said:

There are already fecking two waterfront fecking B**tles museums. Regardless of my thoughts on said band, what a fecking waste of money, finish the fecking new hospital that has been stalled since the collapse of Carillion you absolute weapons

Oh and the Beatles museum sites (two sites same people) are in private hands, who owns and runs this new one? and where the feck are they building it?

They don't need to finish that hospital, they've got 40 new ones coming, remember?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It gets more bizarre, ignore the headline figure of £22mil its £2mil to prove a case for a potential further £20mil but regardless... "essential levelling up investment in The National Museums in Liverpool and the Tate Liverpool. How is providing cash for an art gallery and some museums "levelling up" anything? These things again already exist and can't really expand the buildings they are housed in and don't strike me as being in need of any investment at all

Yet the council see fit to celebrate this, when in fact it appears to be a complete waste of money

3 hours ago, bickster said:

At a guess I'd say it will be owned by a private equity firm called Sunak and Dorries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Priti Patel pressed to explain award of spy agencies cloud contract to Amazon

US firm Amazon Web Services to host classified material for GCHQ, MI5 and MI6, raising sovereignty concerns

Priti Patel is under pressure to disclose whether the UK’s most sensitive national security secrets could be at risk after the disclosure that its spy agencies signed a cloud contract with Amazon Web Services (AWS).

Labour is demanding that the home secretary explain why GCHQ, MI5 and MI6 will use a high-security system provided by the US-based firm, and whether any risk assessment was undertaken before the deal was signed.

The agreement, estimated by industry experts to be worth £500m to £1bn over the next decade, was signed this year, the Financial Times first reported, citing people familiar with the discussions.

Other government departments such as the Ministry of Defence will also use the system during joint operations.

Grauniad

14 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think the NHS or Test and Trace are using it already, I’m pretty sure when they text me a link the other day I spotted aws in the url whilst it changed which I thought was unusual.

Edited by Genie

I did suspect one reason for people voting Brexit was that they could see industry had dwindled, and the replacement funding from the EU ended up being ‘arts projects’.

OK, so Merthyr has lost its Hoover factory, here’s £2 million to ‘invest’ in a series of quirky art installation street lights by minority artists from across Europe.

That, I believe, tipped some people in to voting for Brexit.

So, enjoy your levelling up Beatles Museum.

Standard misdirection and kicking of smaller businesses by the government in this budget. Beer tax reductions are only on 40l containers, which are too big for most small breweries and pubs to handle. So as it stands, if you like your Heineken in a Wetherspoon's, great, the taxation rules will help them. Everybody else though? Yeah, they're screwed.

At least the definition of the 40l size is not written in stone yet, so there is a chance they might back down...

Edited by Lichfield Dean

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I did suspect one reason for people voting Brexit was that they could see industry had dwindled, and the replacement funding from the EU ended up being ‘arts projects’.

OK, so Merthyr has lost its Hoover factory, here’s £2 million to ‘invest’ in a series of quirky art installation street lights by minority artists from across Europe.

That, I believe, tipped some people in to voting for Brexit.

So, enjoy your levelling up Beatles Museum.

I wasn't against or pro Brexit. I thought that, if we are gonna go this way, fine, let's make it work. We will need some good governance and maybe we can get ahead. I understood the challanges, but also knew that we have more flexibility in our governance.

But this budget has made me realise how wrong I was. This government is a joke, and I am afraid we will get into real financial troubles as a nation.

The bottom line is, normal, hardworking people earning £25-30k a year will have less and less money and this budget did nothing to address this problem.

I am very disappointed and sad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I wasn't against or pro Brexit. I thought that, if we are gonna go this way, fine, let's make it work. We will need some good governance and maybe we can get ahead. I understood the challanges, but also knew that we have more flexibility in our governance.

But this budget has made me realise how wrong I was. This government is a joke, and I am afraid we will get into real financial troubles as a nation.

The bottom line is, normal, hardworking people earning £25-30k a year will have less and less money and this budget did nothing to address this problem.

I am very disappointed and sad.

I voted Remain, but I could genuinely see why a lot of people in a lot of communities thought a roll of the dice was better than just carrying on in the same rut.

In truth, it’s still far far too early for such a momentous change to be reviewed and definitively assessed as a good or a bad thing.

We currently have an awful government, but that could change in a couple of years, and we could potentially have a far more competent government, able to find the advantages of Brexit for the general population of the UK. As much as the likes of Mogg are horrendous charicatures, he is right that it will take a very long time to truly see or know the true benefit or loss. There are too many other factors such as coVid at present to know how we have fared against how life would have been without Brexit. There are too many squabbles with France yet to come, to know what damage or advantage we have given ourselves.

We need to work out what good things we can now do, and pursue them relentlessly. It might need a change of Prime Minister for that, or a change of Government, or even a change in the size of the UK.

I am spectacularly disappointed, that levelling up turns out to mean 8 projects in Wales aimed at boosting tourism. All that manufacturing expertise sat at home, all those factories mothballed along the M4, all that wave energy, all those empty docks, all those life threatening coal spills above streets of terraced housing. yet the levelling up money is going to create a footpath, a new stretch of canal, refurbish a theatre, and create a new arts hub.

All the thing the EU was doing wrong. All the things that lead to a handful more part time jobs reliant on attracting visitors.

Quite pathetic really.

I think it’s fair to say Brexit has been a disaster so far.

5 years since the vote and there’s dozens of downsides and zero upsides. Entire industries on the brink of collapse.

We’ve got an enormous amount of work to do just to get to a level of what we had.

I’m really curious what will be different in 20 or 50 years to be able to declare it all worthwhile. The only semi-realistic thing I can think of is either a FTA with the US or The Mail being right all along and the EU give us the perks of being a member with little of the drawbacks / tie ins.

It’s not just about money, it’s about the ability to live, work, retire in Europe that has been robbed from so many. 

I agree with you @chrisp65 that’s it’s in many humans nature to “roll the dice” because they feel it can’t get worse. Look at football fans in on topic here for examples of that. This is where we need sensible leaders to advise on that.

All the people that I went to school with who proudly “tell it like it is” and “won’t be messed around” haven’t got a pot to piss in because they didn’t realise sometimes you have to know your place for the greater good.

The other thing when sympathising that it’s much too early to expect anything good, the messages at the time were instant money for the NHS out of the money saved, “we hold all the cards”, “easiest trade deals in history”, “they need us more than we need them”.

The vote leave promise was to hit the ground running and to instantly prosper. 

Now the UK is being told we need to wait several decades before we potentially see benefits. If that was on the side of a bus I don’t think it would have gotten so many votes.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree with you @chrisp65 that’s it’s in many humans nature to “roll the dice” because they feel it can’t get worse. 

I wish enough people would roll the dice on this friggin government come election time but I'm not counting my chickens.

• Like 3

The problem with a 20 year plan to see the benefits is that it is a bullshit position.  The only way we will be able to say after 20 years that it was categorically a good decision is if the EU completely collapses and somehow, that not being in it saves us, which is in and of itself pretty much impossible to conceive. 

Over 20 years there are far too many global events and issues that will shape the world way more than brexit will do. There will be different governments here who's decisions will mitigate against the harm already done or possibly make things worse. If after 5 years things are objectively worse, the upside over the next 15 years to get us back to the status quo will have to be so dramatic that it breaks credibility to suggest it will happen. Can anyone show me an economic, or social, or environmental forecast that has us making the sorts of strides over the next 15 years that will undo the damage of the last 5?

The chancellor can't.

20 years of pain to get to this unspecified fairy tale Neverland just condemns a couple of generations for a promise that cannot be made. In the last 20 years we had the global financial crisis, MySpace, Facebook and Twitter created, the war on terror, China broke through as the major economic giant. 20 years is just a stupidly long timescale to measure the impact of an economic decision such as this one.

It looked a bad idea when it was designed, it has been a bad idea in practice. There is no evidence that there will be a positive outcome in the future. If Brexit was going to be a good thing for us we would know it by now. The fact is even the people who negotiated it know it is bad for us, as they keep going back to try and renegotiate the deal they made, that they announced with great fanfare and now say are deeply unfair and unworkable.

Edited by Straggler
  • Like 3

Exciting times

Millions of people are set to be worse off next year amid spiralling costs and tax rises, says an economic think tank.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said that inflation and higher taxes on incomes would negate small wage increases for middle earners.

Low-income households will also feel "real pain" as the cost of living is set to increase faster than benefit payments, it said.

Â