The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Already getting the "why does it really matter" from my Dad. 

In general I agree, its naive to think politicians should be incredible members of society who dont have the urges and personality traits that the "normal" people have. 

However, in the position he is in, the rules that have been in place and the consistent behaviour of everyone in this government to lie, scheme, show questionable morals and break covid rules. This does matter, much like Cummings it will tried to be pushed under the carpet. If only because Hancock is the fall guy when the enquiry comes. 

Its is funny though. 

• Like 2

People were prevented meeting up with their children, people couldn’t visit their parents in care homes.

That hideous thieving prick was laughing at us whilst he squeezed the arse of his side shag and doled out free money to his mates.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

People were prevented meeting up with their children, people couldn’t visit their parents in care homes.

That hideous thieving prick was laughing at us whilst he squeezed the arse of his side shag and doled out free money to his mates.

= Tories 51 (+7)

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I can't get my head round it. 

"Yeah it's bad but imagine what Corbyn would have done."

Mind blowing how so many have been manipulated. I've never known politics this tribal. 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

A lot of people went big on backing this PM against all the evidence of it being a shit show. Now they won’t allow “told you so” by admitting they were mugged off so they turn a blind eye to all the piss taking, or worse still try and justify it.

I think one of the factors is that this type of scandal is expected behaviour to a degree. If you voted for Boris who is a serial philanderer to the point only he really knows how many children he has, I'm guessing it's probably not going to bother you much if a cabinet minister has an affair. Same with a Trump official being rude / racist / denying facts. That was never going to bother anyone that voted for Trump, just those that didn't.

I think also people hold scientific advisers like Neil Ferguson (or Chris Whitty) to higher standards than politicians because I feel like 99% of the population think politicians are self-serving scum whereas they actually respect the scientific advisers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think one of the factors is that this type of scandal is expected behaviour to a degree. If you voted for Boris who is a serial philanderer to the point only he really knows how many children he has, I'm guessing it's probably not going to bother you much if a cabinet minister has an affair. Same with a Trump official being rude / racist / denying facts. That was never going to bother anyone that voted for Trump, just those that didn't.

I think also people hold scientific advisers like Neil Ferguson (or Chris Whitty) to higher standards than politicians because I feel like 99% of the population think politicians are self-serving scum whereas they actually respect the scientific advisers.

The country is truly in a state if people think like this.

Politicians can do whatever they want, and because people expect it, no consequence will be expected. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The country is truly in a state if people think like this.

Politicians can do whatever they want, and because people expect it, no consequence will be expected. 

I think there’s a lot of truth in it.

And if you suggest they voted for a bunch of crooks the obvious answer is that they are all as bad as each other so it makes no difference.

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think there’s a lot of truth in it.

And if you suggest they voted for a bunch of crooks the obvious answer is that they are all as bad as each other so it makes no difference.

I think a lot of people in the country also don't care about politics very much. Certainly far less than anyone posting in this thread, I bet! There was an interesting article in the Economist talking painting a portrait of the stereotypical new "Red Wall" voter that the Tories think they've identified - the modern equivalent of "Mondeo man" that Blair was trying to win over.

Basically these people live in the North and are quietly doing quite well for themselves. They have decent jobs either as tradesmen or as mid-level professionals, and because living is relatively cheap up in the North they can afford a nice 3/4 bed house on a new build estate, two cars and overseas holidays, etc. The key thing though is that these people don't actually care much about politics. They previously voted Labour because their working class parents did and the unpopularity of Thatcher, but over time that anti-Tory stigma has faded and Corbyn's hard-left policies and anti-Westernism finally convinced them to switch sides. They're probably going to continue to vote Tory until there's another major shock to the system.

If I try and imagine myself in that mindset, the really high-level view of politics over the last year has probably been "government could have handled covid better, but the vaccine rollout was great so overall they've done a pretty good job". All the contract sleaze probably doesn't matter too much to them; all they care about is the big picture and if that's going fine then everything else is peachy. The ends justify the means.

Problem is, if that portrait is true, then politicians kinda can do what they want as long as they avoid any catastophic mistakes. BoJo's fanboys aren't bothered by allegations against him, so he doesn't need to worry about them. Pretty much the only thing BoJo could do to win over the left is jumping off a bridge, so there's no point him worrying about them either. And if a large portion of the voters just don't care about small details ... well, then there's no reason to force Cummings to resign, or Hancock to resign, or not attempt shenanigans redecorating your flat, etc. And that path leads to modern American politics.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

All the contract sleaze probably doesn't matter too much to them;

Why would it, it's they imagine it's no different in the world they inhabit, a lot of them imagine back handers win contracts and that's the way the world works, that's business

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think one of the factors is that this type of scandal is expected behaviour to a degree. If you voted for Boris who is a serial philanderer to the point only he really knows how many children he has, I'm guessing it's probably not going to bother you much if a cabinet minister has an affair.

I very much doubt the average voter has even heard of Johnson's history of infedility.

Â