The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

165-F75-E0-AD36-49-C2-BBA6-99-C9-C835503

Boris Johnson was today accused of 'rewriting history' after he implied he sacked Matt Hancock over his affair despite initially refusing to fire the cheating Health Secretary when he was caught in a passionate embrace with an aide.

Mr Johnson's claims ran contrary to No 10's insistence, hours after CCTV footage of the clinch emerged on Thursday night, that Mr Johnson considered the 'matter closed' and had 'full confidence' in Mr Hancock, who would keep his job because he had said sorry.

But after 80 Tory MPs told No 10 he had to go after they were deluged with complaints, Mr Hancock gave a video statement on Saturday afternoon that he had quit after he breached social distancing guidance by kissing Gina Coladangelo against his office door. 

In response Mr Johnson said he was 'sorry to receive' Hancock's resignation.

And an extraordinary U-turn was completed on a campaign visit to Batley ahead of Thursday's crucial by-election this afternoon, where the PM suggested he had fired the Health Secretary and replaced him with Sajid Javid, adding that the Government's 'moral compass' is intact.

When asked whether Hancock's affair undermined the message about the country being 'all in it together', Mr Johnson said: 'That's right, and that's why when I saw the story on Friday we had a new Secretary of State for Health in on Saturday.' He added: 'I think that's about the right pace to proceed in a pandemic'.

Adding to the confusion over Mr Hancock's exit, the Prime Minister's spokesman later said Boris Johnson did not sack Matt Hancock as health secretary, or urge him to quit over the scandal, despite Mr Johnson's implication he acted to remove him.

So he considered the matter closed last week, also reluctantly accepted his resignation and also fired him.

Mail Online

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The email scandal deserves more scrutiny than it's getting. His devices should be seized and examined for a criminal investigation into corruption.

See Chris Cook v Gove and Cummings 2011.

Link

If you publish a story implying that a cabinet minister committed a criminal offence, you should expect some serious blow-back,” my editor drily told me. But I didn’t. Not really. I also didn’t expect a year of lawfare. I didn’t foresee thousands of civil service hours spent on my articles. I didn’t imagine £12,000 of public money would be spent on barristers. I didn’t expect the vitriol.

In short, I didn’t expect Dominic Cummings, now the man behind Boris Johnson’s premiership.

It all began when I was education correspondent at the Financial Times. I was handed a trove of documents by a source, including print-outs of emails sent by Cummings and Gove, then education secretary. These were government messages – concerning official business – but were sent using a network of private email accounts. In other words, it was a back-channel system of communications, kept secret from untrusted officials.

I had a hunch: I suspected that if I requested an email sent privately by Gove under the Freedom of Information Act, a transparency law, they would deny it existed. The act can – subject to some safeguards – compel the disclosure of government business, and concealing information requested is a crime. But since I had a copy, I could prove they’d broken the law.

It all went to plan. I published my story on the front page of the FT in September 2011. And after a year of legal wrangling, in which they mounted increasingly baffling arguments disputing whether emails sent by ministers to civil servants were really government business, they conceded I was right. They had broken the law. But there was no penalty – either legal or political.

... more

• Like 1

He’s the MP that denied being involved with the company sugar-daddy.net but then once he’d been elected remembered yes he had actually been the owner of that website. Apologised if his previous absolute denial of any knowledge of the website had caused confusion. 

No action taken for lying in an election campaign, obviously.

• Like 1

We have a PM that doesn’t agree with taking the knee as he doesn’t agree with ‘gestures’.

spacer.png

bloody good job we’ve got a free press that picks up on lies and contradictions and hypocrisy

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

Health and Care Bill 2021

The Health and Care Bill presented to Parliament for its first reading in July 2021 will implement many of the proposals in the Government’s recent White Paper on NHS reform.

Campaigners are concerned about the possibility of another top down reorganisation of the NHS, following on from the Health and Social Care Act 2012 which was deeply unpopular. The changes outlined in this Bill are unwelcome as it will not solve any of the problems the NHS faces, and will distract from efforts to rebuild the NHS, while it is still dealing with the Covid pandemic. The main issues facing the NHS are understaffing, underfunding, and privatisation. The Bill will do nothing for the first two of these and will accelerate privatisation.

Keep Our NHS Public

An American model.

They were pushing it through when the football was on.

• Sad 1

'Not Watching The Football' Update

Martin Daubney has updated us:

Good of him to let us know that he has significantly shifted here, from his pre-tournament position that he wanted England to lose. Fond memories of him getting confused between England and our opposition because they were playing in white shirts in a friendly.

'Lozza' Fox has also done an about-face:

But Lee Anderson MP, Tory MP for Ashfield, is not planning to budge:

Lee Anderson statement over England Euro 2020 boycott as Three Lions prepare for semi final

'A Nottinghamshire MP who has refused to watch 'his beloved England' during Euro 2020 insists he will not watch the Three Lions' semi final against Denmark this week.

Lee Anderson, who represents the Ashfield constituency, made the declaration prior to the European championships after the team took the knee prior to a warm up game in June.

England manager Gareth Southgate condemned fans who booed the gesture, saying it was not done to make a 'political stand', but was an anti-racism gesture and a mark of solidarity between players.

Mr Anderson disagreed and said while all forms of racism were 'vile and should be stamped out, this was not the way'.

He added in June: "For the first time in my life I will not be watching my beloved England team whilst they are supporting a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life."

[...]

Mr Anderson said [. . .]

"Well there is nothing to update, I stick by my comments three weeks ago.

"Well done, well played I hope it continues."

He added that he hopes England go on to win the tournament but "I won't be watching it, no".'

from: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/lee-anderson-statement-over-england-5611162

Absolute plank that lad.

Â