The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s a bloody shame the police are all too busy protecting statues to have the personnel to deal with fraud and theft.

If these people lived on council estates and earned enough from drugs to buy a used BMW there would be dawn raids and broken doors.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a bloody shame the police are all too busy protecting statues to have the personnel to deal with fraud and theft.

If these people lived on council estates and earned enough from drugs to buy a used BMW there would be dawn raids and broken doors.

Most Police Forces don't investigate fraud anymore, they'll tell you to report it to Action Fraud which is an arm of the City of London Police along with the National Fraud Investigation Bureau. So all the fraud in the England and Wales is dealt with by the one Police Force and the Serious Fraud Office for the bigger cases

About 15 years ago I logged into my internet banking and thought my balance looked wrong, lower than I expected. Scanned down the statement and saw a cheque for £660 that wasn’t me.

Bank sent me a new cheque book but it was intercepted and someone spent some money.

Reported to the police, who tracked it down to the person who did it. They called me in (central Birmingham) for a statement before going after them.

A few weeks went by and I heard nothing so I called them to ask what happened, would I need to go to court etc?

The copper just said they weren’t going to bother following it up. I’d had the money refunded by the bank so they’d leave it at that. I was gobsmacked.

Already covered by @bickster in the deadpool thread, but Cheryl Gillan has died suddenly. Since Chesham and Amersham is a very safe Tory constituency, the by-election will not be interesting, except in terms of what the Tory candidate selection reveals.

EDIT: Looking at the wiki entry for the constituency (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesham_and_Amersham_(UK_Parliament_constituency)), you get a tremendously boring set of results in the past. The only thing of mild interest is that distantly-losing Labour MPs have sometimes gone on to success in other seats, as Candy Atherton (Falmouth and Camborne 1997-2005), Paul Farrelly (Newcastle-under-Lyme, 2001-2019) and Rupa Huq (Ealing Central and Acton, 2015 - present) were all comprehensively beaten there before a winning run elsewhere.

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Cheryl Gillan has died suddenly

Long term illness it said in the news I read.

Anywhooo, still never heard of her, which is pretty impressive given that she was an MP for 29 years

Also possibly the least interesting by-election in some time, absolutely nailed on seat. The Labour vote collapsed there in 2010 with all the votesd going to the Lib Dem (signs of tactical voting you'd imagine). The Lib Dems got an all time high 14K votes and still lost by 17k

If you needed to parachute someone into parliament for the Tories, this would be the seat to do it.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 16:20, Genie said:

About 15 years ago I logged into my internet banking and thought my balance looked wrong, lower than I expected. Scanned down the statement and saw a cheque for £660 that wasn’t me.

Bank sent me a new cheque book but it was intercepted and someone spent some money.

Reported to the police, who tracked it down to the person who did it. They called me in (central Birmingham) for a statement before going after them.

A few weeks went by and I heard nothing so I called them to ask what happened, would I need to go to court etc?

The copper just said they weren’t going to bother following it up. I’d had the money refunded by the bank so they’d leave it at that. I was gobsmacked.

Yeah same thing happened to me. About £700 went form my account to some dodgy website hosted in Russia. No idea what it was. Reported it and the bank were great and refunded me straight away. but the police said as I'd been refunded and the bank were dealing with it they weren't doing anything else about it.

(what really annoyed me was at the time I was getting my card frozen every other day by Barclays anti-fraud thing. If I spent £2.50 on a train ticket they'd freeze my card and I'd have to call them to unfreeze it. Buy a tank of fuel and I wouldn't be able to pay for it because they'd frozen my card. It was driving me up the wall even though I knew their intentions were good.
But £700 goes on a dodgy russian website and not a peep out of them :D )

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah same thing happened to me. About £700 went form my account to some dodgy website hosted in Russia. No idea what it was. Reported it and the bank were great and refunded me straight away. but the police said as I'd been refunded and the bank were dealing with it they weren't doing anything else about it.

(what really annoyed me was at the time I was getting my card frozen every other day by Barclays anti-fraud thing. If I spent £2.50 on a train ticket they'd freeze my card and I'd have to call them to unfreeze it. Buy a tank of fuel and I wouldn't be able to pay for it because they'd frozen my card. It was driving me up the wall even though I knew their intentions were good.

I was more shocked though because the copper told me they knew who did it but still decided it wasn’t worth their time to charge them. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can I have some more information regarding this dodgy website in Russia

The row over Section 59 of the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill is reminiscent of a backwater pond that has lain undisturbed for years. Then someone decides to poke a stick in it and all manner of noxious fumes are released.

In this instance the pond is the common law offence of public nuisance. The stick that has disturbed it is the government’s proposal to replace the common law offence with a statutory codification. The noxious fume that has been released is the risk of criminalising legitimate public protest.

Criticism of Section 59 has focused on its potential for affecting street protests. Little attention has been paid to online communications. How would “serious annoyance” translate from street to tweet? Is a seriously annoying tweet the same kind of thing as a seriously annoying street protest? Is the potential impact of the Section 59 offence greater, less or no different in the online rather than the physical environment? Spoiler alert: it is at least the same and probably greater. How much greater we can only guess at – reason enough to send Section 59 back to the drawing board.
...more

Seriously annoying tweets

• Thanks 1

Johnson’s lies are directly causing real violence in Northern Ireland.

It should be time for him to step up and do a full day’s work.

He’ll probably just buy a load of overpriced old water cannon off a close friend.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Johnson’s lies are directly causing real violence in Northern Ireland.

It should be time for him to step up and do a full day’s work.

Don't see the problem really. Just giving his voters what they asked for. 

Â