The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It was set up by two Tories but it is just a polling company

I remember when that first came out, a bunch of us thought it would be easy money until you realised that you’d get about 15p for a 30 minute survey 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 22:40, markavfc40 said:

The Tories voted to remove the amendment. 

The Fire Safety Bill went back to the Lords today and they voted to include the amendments to protect leaseholders.

It now goes back to the Commons

Legislative ping-pong

• Like 2

So after wasting millions of the new Press Briefing Room, the govt has decided it will not be going ahead with the Whitehouse style Press Briefings and Allegra Statton will instead become the Spokesperson for the COP26 Climate Conference in November.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

So after wasting millions of the new Press Briefing Room, the govt has decided it will not be going ahead with the Whitehouse style Press Briefings and Allegra Statton will instead become the Spokesperson for the COP26 Climate Conference in November.

It’s almost as if they’re making it up as they go along or something........

I wonder which Tory donor got the contract to do the work? 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I think this is a weird fight for labour or anyone that dislikes the Tories to pick, tbh. My understanding of the situation was that Dyson wanted to send engineers to the UK to help with getting us ventilators on a non-profit basis, but didn't want his staff to be penalised for giving assistance. I think these sorts of assurances are very much warranted in that situation (if that was the situation).

I think people being overly critical of that run the risk of looking like their criticism (and all past and future criticism) isn't good faith criticism, but simply tribalism.

Or is there another version of events I'm missing?

• Like 2

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

I think this is a weird fight for labour or anyone that dislikes the Tories to pick, tbh. My understanding of the situation was that Dyson wanted to send engineers to the UK to help with getting us ventilators on a non-profit basis, but didn't want his staff to be penalised for giving assistance. I think these sorts of assurances are very much warranted in that situation (if that was the situation).

I think people being overly critical of that run the risk of looking like their criticism (and all past and future criticism) isn't good faith criticism, but simply tribalism.

Well sadly Dyson didn’t produce a single ventilator. That said, the luxury of sorting out such trivialities as tax is only afforded to those with the Prime Ministers telephone number. Also, this is one case of assisting a contact that we have heard of. What haven’t we heard about? Let alone the past few weeks telling us of the corruption and cronyism of our elected leaders. 

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Well sadly Dyson didn’t produce a single ventilator. That said, the luxury of sorting out such trivialities as tax is only afforded to those with the Prime Ministers telephone number. Also, this is one case of assisting a contact that we have heard of. What haven’t we heard about? Let alone the past few weeks telling us of the corruption and cronyism of our elected leaders. 

True, I guess. My point is more: why give him the get out of jail free card by criticising the one time this sort of free pass was probably warranted? It's not like there isn't plenty else to talk about, as you've mentioned yourself 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 10:29, bickster said:

It was set up by two Tories but it is just a polling company

And very nice when those £50 bank transfers arrive for doing online surveys.

35 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Why was Dyson even being considered to supply ventilators when established medical equipment suppliers in the UK were ignored..... during a national emergency!!!

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

There's an overlap of technology between the two. Our place (also not a ventilator manufacturer, but a big manufacturing co.) grouped up with others to invent and produce ventilators, when the country was massively short of them As Dyson did. What James Dyson did as a boss in seeking to make sure any of his staff who travelled to the UK to help with the effort wasn't penalised was being a good boss. Johnson was right to sort that out rapidly, too.

But the notion that rich mates can send a text and get things done, but other people obviously can't is not how things should be. If it was just this one instance, I don't think Labour has a leg to stand on, but it's not. There's Cameron lobbying everyone with texts to help, there's the planning Minister unlawfully helping out Millionaire Richard Desmond save himself 60 odd million in Tax...and so on. There's Hancock giving his mate the local Pub landlord a medical deal to produce tens of thousands of Vialls. It's widespread and the overall picture is basically inexcusable, Pandemic or no pandemic.

Yup, in total agreement with all of that.

I just think this is the worst possible example to pick up on, because it makes it easier to dismiss the valid criticism of those other examples you cited. Seems a needless own goal imo.

(But I can appreciate that it represents part of a wider pattern of behaviour too, so I can see why there's some logic behind highlighting it.) 

• Like 2

Can you imagine the story if Dyson had come up with a ventilator then all the boffins got hit with huge tax bills?

There would be an outcry and the front pages of the press would be full of demands for the tax to be handed back to the hero's.

None story here for me.. It was an emergency situation and we were trying to get ventilators from everywhere.  Didn't some F1 team make some? I think all sorts of tech firms were trying to come up with prototypes as a drop everything and get on with it basis. 

I'm no fan of Dyson at all but I'm sure he took his designers of various projects to develop new unnecessarily expensive products to overcharge suckers for to enhance his own offshore bank balance. 

But it would be wrong to heavily tax some scientist who came over here to work on this project. 

Edited by sidcow

25 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yup, in total agreement with all of that.

I just think this is the worst possible example to pick up on, because it makes it easier to dismiss the valid criticism of those other examples you cited. Seems a needless own goal imo.

(But I can appreciate that it represents part of a wider pattern of behaviour too, so I can see why there's some logic behind highlighting it.) 

But this is one of the few examples where there is unequivocal proof of it happening.

It just so obviously plays into Johnson's hands by allowing to do the whole 'I wouldn't like bureaucracy get in the way of handling a crisis' thing. What was it he said? 'I won't apologise for moving heaven and earth for getting the help we needed in a crisis' or something like that.

Good line IMO.

• Like 1

Â