The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

46 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The tide appears to have turned. I'm in two minds whether I want the Tories to get rid of Johnson or keep him and continue the rot.

People don’t like to admit they will vote Tory during times when the Tories are seen as ‘bad’.   They’ll still go vote for them when it’s a general election though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

History says that the number of public pronouncements about Tory Leadership does not equal letters to the 1922 committee. Lots more told May to go than actually handed Brady letters

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

People don’t like to admit they will vote Tory during times when the Tories are seen as ‘bad’.   They’ll still go vote for them when it’s a general election though.

Yep. If they admit to still backing the Tories they will be questioned why and they know it. Easier to just to say they won’t but secretly do it anyway.

Same for Brexit.

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Same for Brexit.

Not at all. There were very few shy brexiteers, they were far more outweighed by complacent remainers who didn't vote because they thought Remain would win anyway

The Shy Tory theory was debunked by the British Polling council who found that the polling companies methodolgy was wrong in the 2015 election. The only other Shy Tory election was 1992 where there was again a big error in the polls vs the result but only about 25% of that 8% error was down to Shy Tories, there were again other bigger factors at play

These people who've suddenly shifted from Tory to Labour in the polls weren't shy two months ago, what would make them suddenly shy now?

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

History says that the number of public pronouncements about Tory Leadership does not equal letters to the 1922 committee. Lots more told May to go than actually handed Brady letters

Yup. 48 were needed for May, and at the moment the vote was called there were about 20 known.

24 known now for Johnson, so if they correlate then they are nearly there. But there's no reason to think that they would necessarily correlate. It might just be the 24 known. 

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not at all. There were very few shy brexiteers, they were far more outweighed by complacent remainers who didn't vote because they thought Remain would win anyway

The Shy Tory theory was debunked by the British Polling council who found that the polling companies methodolgy was wrong in the 2015 election. The only other Shy Tory election was 1992 where there was again a big error in the polls vs the result but only about 25% of that 8% error was down to Shy Tories, there were again other bigger factors at play

These people who've suddenly shifted from Tory to Labour in the polls weren't shy two months ago, what would make them suddenly shy now?

Hmmm, I still don’t know many people who said at the time they’d vote Brexit and even fewer willing to admit it now. 

It might be that not enough “leave” minded people thought such a bad idea would win so didn’t bother voting but from my own experience it doesn’t stack up.

Saying that, if there was another referendum next week I bet the uptake would be much higher, to make sure!

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hmmm, I still don’t know many people who said at the time they’d vote Brexit and even fewer willing to admit it now. 

It might be that not enough “leave” minded people thought such a bad idea would win so didn’t bother voting but from my own experience it doesn’t stack up.

Your experience is irrelevant

I don't know many people who've ever voted Tory or voted for Brexit, those people do exist though in vast numbers

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Your experience is irrelevant

I don't know many people who've ever voted Tory or voted for Brexit, those people do exist though in vast numbers

You don’t know who they are, but they exist all around us thus proving my point 😉 

Â