The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All talk of whether or not Starmer can outwit anybody in a debate seems a bit irrelevant to me. How many of the voting public actually watch PMQs? And of those who do, how many might change their voting intentions as a result?  British GEs - especially in the current X-Factor world - are won and lost on perceived image, as manipulated by the media. Truss's Thatcher cosplay may be a bit hamfisted, but her spin doctors know exactly what they're doing. It all comes down to whether Starmer can pull off the 'smartly dressed, looks and speaks like a PM' act better than her (or Richie). And whether he can ride out the smear campaign the Mail/Express will inevitably come up with. 

…and whether Truss can distance herself from a deeply unpopular Johnson government.

I think in the end it will be pretty tough for Truss to credibly say she is offering anything different, and voters are so tired now of the state of the country, that I’m hopeful the view will be “time for a change”.

The May-Johnson transition made much more sense as a regeneration moment, because they were so totally different in views on Brexit, which was the big issue of the election. How does Truss pull that off? Not saying she won’t, but it just seems a lot more difficult now.

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

He keeps being presented with a football on the goal line and he just needs to tap it in. Instead he takes it to the right wing and makes a speculative cross.

FTFY

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

…and whether Truss can distance herself from a deeply unpopular Johnson government.

I expect most of the Cabinet to be pretty similar to Johnson's if Truss wins. Badenoch in it for sure, maybe the likes of Grant Shapps will be bounced, hell she might even give Tugendhat a junior role but I fully expect Javid. Zahawi, Patel et al to be still there.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He keeps being presented with a football on the goal line and he just needs to tap it in. Instead he takes it to the wing and makes a speculative cross.

Its an improvement on the last fella who just used to put the ball hard left past his own goalkeeper at the start of every match. At least it's forward thinking

I’ve just put £100 on Truss becoming PM, everything sagging in the poles, Labour victory incoming… then in around 18 months time Argentina tries to invade the Falklands with 3 boats full of kids on their army NVQ’s.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

She's thick as mince, and she's only for this far by stoking the culture war. If you're a bit thick and incompetent, just be a bit more hateful. Works a treat in the conservative party.

She has a masters in Engineering and was an associate director of a bank in her early 30s. What makes you say she is as thick as mince?

There is a lot to criticise her for but that seems an odd analysis.

27 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

She has a masters in Engineering and was an associate director of a bank in her early 30s. What makes you say she is as thick as mince?

She’s an awkward scientist with no social iq. Better?

43 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just put £100 on Truss becoming PM, everything sagging in the poles, Labour victory incoming… then in around 18 months time Argentina tries to invade the Falklands with 3 boats full of kids on their army NVQ’s.

What odds did you get on all that?

48 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A guy I used to go to school with was a bona fide genius, went to Cambridge. Ended up designing high end hifi speakers working on complex  resonance calculations etc. 

He had the first computer I ever saw in real life - his mum used to make us wash our hands before we used the keyboard. He was piano grade 5 by the time he was 10.

I remember watching him walking into a lamp post whilst walking down the street eyes wide open looking in the direction he was walking.  His mum wouldn't send him down the shops to buy a bag of sugar as he'd probably get lost and forget why he left the house. 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A guy I used to go to school with was a bona fide genius, went to Cambridge. Ended up designing high end hifi speakers working on complex  resonance calculations etc. 

He had the first computer I ever saw in real life - his mum used to make us wash our hands before we used the keyboard. He was piano grade 5 by the time he was 10.

I remember watching him walking into a lamp post whilst walking down the street eyes wide open looking in the direction he was walking.  His mum wouldn't send him down the shops to buy a bag of sugar as he'd probably get lost and forget why he left the house. 

Similar story, a lad I was in school with was another child genius. Streets ahead of anyone else in school. Went to Cambridge became a professor no less. Eventually took his mathematical brain into politics, became LibDem MP and worked his way up the greasy pole to become Pensions Minister in the Coalition government

Lost his seat at the next election. Politically, thick as mince.

And seriously, he’s the cleverest person I’ve ever known. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Nope, Starmer will destroy him too. Out of Touch, unable to comprehend the lives of ordinary people yadda yadda. He's not Johnson, he can't get away with it

Labour have nothing to fear in either of Truss or Sunak. Both of them are particularly weak when being questioned off any script they imagined was there. Neither will have the overwhelming command of their party either, the opposition to both of them internally will be huge, Johnson also had a huge majority of support. The backbiting on both of these candidates will start the moment they are elected

I would be wise to defer to you on that, sir, as I don't have a thorough sense of the political atmosphere in Britain these days. I'm more just saying that I could see Tories believing that Sunak is the most palatable for a general election; but whether he would compete well? That's beyond my grasp, and all you say sounds very plausible to me. I think Britain would do better under Labour. Most important for me, by far, is that I think Labour would do a better job of protecting democracy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And whether he can ride out the smear campaign the Mail/Express will inevitably come up with. 

I know there will be more to come out the woodwork but wouldn't they have used whatever good stuff they had during Partygate / Beergate to save their man Boris? 

On the press. Am reading Peter Jukes' book about the News of the World phone hacking trial at the moment. I know a free press is a cornerstone of democracy but IMO we badly need new laws around ownership of media (no non-doms?) and maybe rules on disclosure of interests for comment pieces. See the DM climate denial piece the other day by the oil lobbyist. There are far too many client journalists skewing our national discourse in favour of predator big business with absolutely no transparency. Tricky balance though

• Like 2

Â