The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

17 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That sounds very persuasive to me as analysis. It's for some of the very reasons you say that I feel more nervous about Sunak as PM, as I fear he'd cave too often, and Putin and Xi Jinping, to my mind, are just getting started in their efforts to dismantle western democracies.

Would Truss be better or, rather, be able to convince others that she'd be the better player in some 20th century Thatcheresque/Churchillian "on the beaches" paradigm? She seems to think so, and that's kind of weird in itself. Her sartorial homage to Maggie doesn't make her Maggie as much as Maggie Baby. Besides, would Thatcher actually be able to cope with Russia today? I have my doubts. The Falklands and Argentina, after all, aren't a neofascist nuclear-armed Russian state, working around the clock to prop up strongmen across the globe, demonize LGBGT people, and rip apart democracies.

So then ... I'm back to Sunak, and I just feel like I don't trust him to fight.

What's better? To accommodate Putin, or to battle him badly? Neither seems like a good situation.  

This is why I feel extremely worried about your PM race. Please convince me I'm full of ****. I would welcome it.

If you’re a US citizen, whoever becomes PM here is largely an irrelevance tbh. It won’t have a massive impact on global events or US policy. Truss might be marginally more likely to provoke Putin into nuking the UK.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What's better? To accommodate Putin, or to battle him badly? Neither seems like a good situation.  

Putin needs to be stamped on and Ukraine will do that, probably by the end of the year. Whatever the UK's input from hereon in it won't make much difference

• Thanks 1

Sunak is an old fashioned Tory with modern wallpaper on him pretending he's not a classic Tory. Even the headline act of his time in cabinet, the COVID schemes, he didn't want to actually do. He would be extremely bad for the country, he's a dyed in the wool rich richer trickle down peddler. You also have to question why an obscenely rich man married into an even richer family who spends considerable amounts of good time overseas is in politics.

Truss is just an idiot cosplaying Thatcher and playing to all the simpering Tories who shoot ropes thinking about mumsy spanking them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Any sense of how Sunak vs. Truss are differentiated vis à vis Putin & Ukraine issues? I've not been able to figure that out, try as I might. I know, I know -- "they're both horrendous" and "complete simpletons" etc etc. But still, one of them is coming for at least a few years.  

Didn't Truss want Nato in Ukraine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Dominic Cummings states Bozza wants Truss in, so that she will reliably blow up and he can sweep back into power. I wouldn't put it past the Tory members to vote him in again, maybe it gets so bad his MPs put him back on the ballot? DC probably talking shite, but it all sounds plausible given Bozza's character and his little hasta la vista exit. 

Can we stop lending credence to this bullshitter please? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, snowychap said:

Really?

Yes, in my opinion

EDIT: I should qualify that. I expect Ukraine to have retaken, everything they've lost this year in that timeframe and possibly more like Donbas but probably not Crimea, which will come but later. I expect that push to start happening in the next few weeks

Â