The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

That’s a shame. I like Kemi.

I can definitely see why she can be personally appealing to a lot of British conservatives -- and probably to many non-conservatives, the more I learn. Why not acknowledge that? She can be warm and witty, and she is able often to flip arguments on opponents without seeming rude. She also seems to bend the truth at times (few politicians I've ever met don't) and accuse others of the same, predictably. It's impressive that a Nigerian woman made a strong run in Britain's ruling party. I don't think she's going away for long from politics. She would be a tough opponent in the general. I feel like her back story -- which we read so much about -- is actually a little vague in how it gets presented. I think it's commonplace for British and American journalists to vastly oversimplify the assimilation tales of immigrants. She may have flipped burgers for a time, but she was from a highly educated Yoruba elite, unless I'm mistaken. as I think she herself would acknowledge. Her father was well respected in Nigeria, and her mother brilliant and ambitious. No, not someone from Eton, but she enjoyed advantages and no doubt disadvantages, too. I think the identity politics stuff in her campaigning was a bit of an albatross in the end. It trades in the politics of resentment, and in the end, I just don't think it's all that appealing. Still, I would guess that most better-informed Labour leaders would be truly relieved to see her eliminated. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Starmer will destroy her.

Which is why, in the end, I suspect Conservatives will swing to Sunak in whom they see a more generally palatable Starner opponent?  

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The party needs tearing up and chucking away, and all members forced to parade naked through the streets whilst we get to throw eggs at them.

Although I think this may be unlikely to happen. 

So why do so many voters support them? I'd really like to understand that. They must be doing something right, as a party, to hold such sway.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

Starmer will destroy her.

I keep seeing posts like this mate, but will he? 

I don’t watch PMQ’s religiously but I can’t recall to many times that he destroyed the plonker Boris. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I keep seeing posts like this mate, but will he? 

I don’t watch PMQ’s religiously but I can’t recall to many times that he destroyed the plonker Boris. 

Unfortunately this is my fear too. 

He keeps being presented with a football on the goal line and he just needs to tap it in. Instead he takes it to the wing and makes a speculative cross.

He isn’t the man to really capitalise on the chaos.

10 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Which is why, in the end, I suspect Conservatives will swing to Sunak in whom they see a more generally palatable Starner opponent?

Nope, Starmer will destroy him too. Out of Touch, unable to comprehend the lives of ordinary people yadda yadda. He's not Johnson, he can't get away with it

Labour have nothing to fear in either of Truss or Sunak. Both of them are particularly weak when being questioned off any script they imagined was there. Neither will have the overwhelming command of their party either, the opposition to both of them internally will be huge, Johnson also had a huge majority of support. The backbiting on both of these candidates will start the moment they are elected

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

So why do so many voters support them? I'd really like to understand that. They must be doing something right, as a party, to hold such sway.

Rupert Murdoch, Lord Rothmere. Billionaire press barons who poison our democracy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Rupert Murdoch, Lord Rothmere. Billionaire press barons who poison our democracy 

Plus they have cleverly convinced the poorest in our communities that the issue isn’t their policies, it’s Europe and the immigrants, which they promised to sort out. 

It appealed to the thick and racist voters which topped up their traditional rich voters. 

Going back to this one, ignoring the flipping burgers crap. That last sentence (Also ignore the Mordor one, not referring to that)

"What I want to do is cut fuel duty but we need to look at why the cost-of-living is rising and the problem is inflation"

Why does she need to look at it? Everyone else in the country can tell her. Brexit and Energy Prices

Someone also needs to tell her that inflation is an effect not a cause

I know she's out of it now but I also fully expect her to be in the first cabinet announced if Truss as expected becomes PM

• Like 1

I think the ideal candidate for the Tories is one that campaigned hard to get Boris into power, is a grown up with a sensible, clear, professional outlook and has a political outlook that chimes with the traditional Conservative voter.

Of course, they'll need to get over having to vote Labour to get him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Going back to this one, ignoring the flipping burgers crap. That last sentence

"What I want to do is cut fuel duty but we need to look at why the cost-of-living is rising and the problem is inflation"

Why does she need to look at it? Everyone else in the country can tell her. Brexit and Energy Prices

Someone also needs to tell her that inflation is an effect not a cause

She's thick as mince, and she's only for this far by stoking the culture war. If you're a bit thick and incompetent, just be a bit more hateful. Works a treat in the conservative party.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the ideal candidate for the Tories is one that campaigned hard to get Boris into power, is a grown up with a sensible, clear, professional outlook and has a political outlook that chimes with the traditional Conservative voter.

Of course, they'll need to get over having to vote Labour to get him.

He's not in the Parliamentary Labour Party any more ;)

• Like 1

Â