Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I'm not sure about Newcastle not going down. For me, they were awful today against a team they would probably be expecting to beat comfortably. They won today, but that's down to Bournemouth not being able to score rather than playing like they deserved to win the game.

I really don't rate McLaren as a manager either. For that reason, I believe we will finish higher than Newcastle this season.

Newcastle back 5 is awful imo, any sort of pace and you can create chances against them. If Bournemouth had Wilson they'd probably have won today.

I wouldn't rule Newcastle out of this either, they still only have 10 points but they do have goals in them through the team which we or Sunderland don't have.

For me but for the injury to Wilson Bournemouth would be well clear of the relegation zone by now. Good footballing team but lack the cutting edge now. Our situation is very serious, more serious than its been since we were promoted back in the 80s and we have to start winning games sooner rather than later.

Edited by PaulC

Unless Remi is a miracle worker we aren't going to speed away from trouble but that's okay with me. Right now, I think most if us would take survival on goal difference this season. We're still likely to lose plenty of games so our survival may rest on wins and defeats as a string of 'undefeated' draws won't be good enough. Weirdly enough I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. It might take half a dozen games or so but I'm hoping to see some significant changes!

Sorry, everyone is freaking out because? 

Reality has hit home with Newcastle's win today?

To a fellow relegation rival. These games will happen whether we like it or not and results won't always go our way. 

I'm just surprised anyone is suddenly surprised by the situation. We've been doing this for years now!

We've never been cut adrift. In fact, we've not been in the bottom three for that many weeks overall if I recall correctly. I think/hope we'll pick up under Garde as I've heard good things about him. Just worried the damage will have been done in the first third of the season.

I just hope that we stay tight tomorrow and don't leak goals. Not many of us would expect us to get anything from the game and with our defence looking a shambles every game a lot of us are probably expecting a hammering.

If we lose, I just hope it's not in a way that destroys any lift that they may have been given by Garde coming in and, that it doesn't harm our goal difference. 

Have many other clubs been in a position similar to ours and survived? I know it's not uncommon at all for a team to be bottom in November and be safe come May, but our situation seems especially dire right now. Will have to be a mighty, sustained effort for us to do it this time. It's not like when Sherwood came in and we just needed to score more points than three other teams and one or two wins could change everything. We have a big deficit to make up and then we need to continue outscoring other teams points-wise.

Christmas is absolutely completely 100% crucial- we have a great run of fixtures from December 19th through to mid-January where we could really build up some steam. And I think we're due a good Christmas period, I can't remember the last time we actually won on Boxing Day or the Saturday after.

Have many other clubs been in a position similar to ours and survived? I know it's not uncommon at all for a team to be bottom in November and be safe come May, but our situation seems especially dire right now. Will have to be a mighty, sustained effort for us to do it this time. It's not like when Sherwood came in and we just needed to score more points than three other teams and one or two wins could change everything. We have a big deficit to make up and then we need to continue outscoring other teams points-wise.

Christmas is absolutely completely 100% crucial- we have a great run of fixtures from December 19th through to mid-January where we could really build up some steam. And I think we're due a good Christmas period, I can't remember the last time we actually won on Boxing Day or the Saturday after.

If we lose tomorrow, no team post 2000 will have survived on the same points total after the same number of games. I don't know about pre-2000. 

If we lose tomorrow, no team post 2000 will have survived on the same points total after the same number of games. I don't know about pre-2000. 

Just checked, in 13/14 Palace lost 9 of their first 10 prem games and had 4 points after 11 games so same as us. They did beat Hull next game so then had 7 points by end of November.

Finished the season on 43 points and well clear of danger:

Here's how they did it. 5 straight wins in April. But of course Pulis is clueless and one of the worst football managers around:

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=646&teamTabs=results

What strikes me there is the sheer number of home games they won, 7 in 11 games from start of December to April. I just can't see us doing that, we hardly did it when we were going for top 4 under O'Neill, VP just isn't that sort of ground, the pitch is too big for a start.

• Like 1

We need a win from somewhere really, we have no chance if we go into January on 7 or 8 points, we need something in double figures and even then it's an uphill struggle. Watford, Everton, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, Sunderland, Norwich. If we play and defend well we'll beat some of those surely. Add in new manager syndrome aswell, we won 3 out of first 5 games under Sherwood last season.

Last season we went on a run, from West Brom away to Newcastle away, of 12 games where we only got 3 points. So we got 35 points from the other 26 games and stayed up, similar to what we'll need this season, so it's not impossible.

Christian Benteke earned a big chunk of those points, when it mattered.

We have nobody that can work some magic and win a game on their own, and the team is just as shit as it was last year. We're in serious trouble.

The league table looks bloody frightening tonight. Say we lose the next two, we go away to Watford at least 12 points adrift. Lose that and we're 5 wins to make up with 24 games to go. That's tough! 

Next crucial opponent is then Newcastle and we could be 3 or 4 wins behind them by the time we play them. Same against Norwich. 

We can't afford to accept defeats against the likes of Man City and Everton. The points need to start coming in ASAP. 

• Like 1

I think it looks worse because our shocking run has coincided with the start of the season. We can turn it around while other teams may also go on a bad run and get stuck in the scrap.

It all depends on being able to turn it around. The other lower tier teams like Watford and Norwich are doing better than us because they have a settled structure and a really strong team spirit. Two things we lack. If Remi can instill both of these we can go on a run and start picking up points and confidence.

The odds are against us, but there is life in the old girl yet.

• Like 1

Â