Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Thinking about the West Brom great escape, I recall the club putting on free coaches to get fans to away matches. Apparently the increased support helped the team. Do we think the same might happen if Villa provided free coaches? And can anyone imagine Lerner actually doing something like that?

We don't need help getting away fans to the game. Our away support is consistently amongst the best in the land, always has been and always will be.

• Like 3

What winnable games in the last two weeks are you talking about?

I think both Leicester and west brom games were winnable had we have a good striker

So it's fair to say we've improved a lot if we think a game against the league leaders, 3 points clear, was winnable.

I agree, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

We are still in it. As long as we are within 6 points of safety by the time we get to the last 6 games, then we have a chance. Obviously we would much prefer to be less than 6 points from safety by then, but if you offered that to me now, I would probably take it and hope for the best - because it would mean either we are performing slightly better than (or slightly less worse than) the teams above us, as we've made up at least 4 points on them all.

We are currently 10 points adrift, so based on my above paragraph -

1) are we able to make up 4 points (minimum) on the teams above us in the next 9 games? Yes of course we are 

2) from that position, could we make up 6 points on the teams above us in the last 6 games? More difficult, but still possible.

As long as we don't fall further than 4 wins behind, I will cling to the hope we can get back to within 6 points of safety with 6 games to go.

A win against West Ham (difficult given their current form and Payet in particular) and a win against Norwich and we will be right back in the mix, and the teams above us will know it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ta.

I recall Campbell being shit, Chaplow played 4 games (I checked, sado that I am). Richardson kept them up though didn't he.

so your saying our messiah is already here ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I also agree, but I think the Leicester result was a good one and it gets me annoyed when people say it was a flukey point or 2 points dropped (not saying you've said that)

They're top of the league. They beat Spurs the week before and they smashed Stoke this week.

Yet we held them to a point and made them look ordinary.

It annoys me that people are saying it's because Leicester didn't turn up. Give us SOME credit.

Exactly. The same people will then say Swansea fully deserved their win at Everton, even though Everton's players were having a "miss the open goal" competition. Coleman just sneaked it for me.

• Like 1

Leicester turned up that game, they were even likely to win it until we came back and dominated them in the second half and probably should have won.

Aston Villa are a good club with some good players that are just short on confidence and a bit of luck, we've been showing that to the world for weeks now but still the media are convinced we are bottom of the table because we're terrible. I see it as a team like any other losing too many in a row and feeling lost not knowing what to do with a manager at the time far to new to the career to help out.

Now that we seem to have saved ourselves from an near uncontrollable free fall thanks in part to Remi Garde we're looking like a solid team, a team unbeaten in several games now just lacking that cutting edge. I do believe that no team is too good to go down but I also believe based on our squad and how we've been playing recently that had we stopped the rot sooner we wouldn't even be talking about relegation right now.. That's how football goes I suppose. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We don't need help getting away fans to the game. Our away support is consistently amongst the best in the land, always has been and always will be.

Agreed. The club could take the whole away ticket allocation a little more often though because we will need all the support we can get during the rest of the season. I understand the club do not do that currently because they have to pay for any unsold extra tickets they agree to take over their basic ticket allocation. 

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

Leicester turned up that game, they were even likely to win it until we came back and dominated them in the second half and probably should have won.

Aston Villa are a good club with some good players that are just short on confidence and a bit of luck, we've been showing that to the world for weeks now but still the media are convinced we are bottom of the table because we're terrible. I see it as a team like any other losing too many in a row and feeling lost not knowing what to do with a manager at the time far to new to the career to help out.

Now that we seem to have saved ourselves from an near uncontrollable free fall thanks in part to Remi Garde we're looking like a solid team, a team unbeaten in several games now just lacking that cutting edge. I do believe that no team is too good to go down but I also believe based on our squad and how we've been playing recently that had we stopped the rot sooner we wouldn't even be talking about relegation right now.. That's how football goes I suppose. 

Thanks in the main to Remi Garde!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I was thinking it might help create some much-needed good will towards the club. That said, I'd rather they spend money on a new striker than hiring coaches.

• Like 1

For me its also important who comes down with us. I hope Newcastle dont because they will walk the league next season if they do. Sunderland are very hit and miss, they could be in big financial trouble if they go down. Bournmouth I think are a decent side but I think we have a better squad as crazy as it sounds. Its just we massively under-achieved this season.

For me if we go down any two of Swansea, Norwich or Bournmouth I fancy us to come straight back up

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me its also important who comes down with us. I hope Newcastle dont because they will walk the league next season if they do. Sunderland are very hit and miss, they could be in big financial trouble if they go down. Bournmouth I think are a decent side but I think we have a better squad as crazy as it sounds. Its just we massively under-achieved this season.

For me if we go down any two of Swansea, Norwich or Bournmouth I fancy us to come straight back up

It is a good point about who comes down with us but to be brutally honest I doubt it truly matters .  We will not be coming back up any time soon regardless

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What we need is the club taking the bigger allocations! Time and again this season we have taken the initial allocation and then sold out 5/6 weeks in advance. I agree with the original post take the biggest amount possible then do what you need to do to sell them out. It sounds good selling out but doesn't mean anything when it's just 1500/2000 of the same people everytime!! We have great away support just imagine it with the extra numbers every game?? 

• Like 1

In a season of crap the best thing we've done is appoint Garde in my opinion. He is getting the players fighting and believing now and if we carry that on to the end we will have a chance but if we do go I can see us having a bit of momentum to go into next season with. Garde stood up to the board when they wanted him to have Round in board and has now seemed to have chosen Eric Black to help out. We need a striker to have any sort of chance and the board need to back Garde to a degree or why would he be sure they'd keep their word in the summer. I wanted 7 pts from WBA West Ham and Norwich. It's still on but we will need a striker to get goals out of nothing for us 2 back to back wins would be massive for confidence. 

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

It is a good point about who comes down with us but to be brutally honest I doubt it truly matters .  We will not be coming back up any time soon regardless

Had things continued as they were I may have agreed. I think three things are important here 

1) We can keep a majority of the squad together

2) Our form stays steady up until end of season  and we dont have a repeat of the end the last few months of 2015

3) Like above who comes down with us

If those go in our favour I definitely can see us being within top 6 next season, as I think Remi will sort these guys out come the summer. Dont think he will be going anywhere

Villa will take thousands away next year and if we start well even Villa Park will be buzzing.   

Quick Championship question you can obviously stand at certain grounds so do we rip the seats out the Lower North and create a great atmosphere or are we too snobby for that?  Is there anything to stop us doing it?

Not giving up hope just yet beat Norwich and I will believe!  Striker with pace and movement is key.

14 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Quick Championship question you can obviously stand at certain grounds so do we rip the seats out the Lower North and create a great atmosphere or are we too snobby for that?  Is there anything to stop us doing it?

No you can't.

I think we will be relegated with 4 games to go. In other words, be pretty much exactly as far behind safety as now. We cannot score goals, we've done nothing to address it in 25 days and so havent helped ourselves.

Â